Tank repair - somewhere in Korea

C

CDW

Starting a little (but busy) diorama depicting a "mobile" (ish - as they used to become almost permanent untill the enemy got pretty close, just like the M*A*S*H units) US army vehicle maintenance unit.

Was going to be WW2 orientated but i have a bigger interest in (and a bit more knowledge of) the Korean war and i think this diorama idea will work better this way.

Having to start from the bottom up on this as there's plenty of ground work to finish before adding buildings, vehicles etc

So here's the base (just roughly marked out in different substrates indicating paths/tracks etc) with the pit dug, boarded up, painted and weathered. ..... and a quick snap of the roof joists.

View attachment 43937View attachment 43936View attachment 43938

View attachment 47159

View attachment 47160

View attachment 47161

Photo0683.jpg

Photo0684.jpg

Photo0686.jpg

D

dubster72

I'm interested in seeing you do this one Colin as Korea is often the ' forgotten ' war.

It's looking good so far.

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

It certainly is often forgotten, i've had a compelling interest ever since watching M*A*S*H (the film), i have all the series on dvd (one minute you're in fits of laughter, the next you're in floods of tears), several reference books, lots of actual "in situ" photo's taken by a friends dad who was in a british regiment serving there.

I think i may make this "theatre" my main interest as i'm really looking forward to this and my future M*A*SH dio.

My tank of choice for this one will be a M4-A1 Sherman, Italeri do a nice cheap one that i can mackle around a bit :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's another start of a build I've missed. Things are flying through on Scale models and I'm missing so much good stuff......

Great start Colin, the pit looks well, especially the bent sheeting, nice touch. Those are neater trusses than ever I knocked up when I was on the tools!

just a quick aside if I may.....i see you have all the Mash series? Surely that doesn't include the very last episode...'Goodbye, farewell and amen.' does it? I ask 'cos I've got it on VHS, but I had no idea it was available on DVD!

I've been hunting it for ages with no success.

Cheers,

Ron

C

CDW

hey Ron, the last episode is shown in all its uncut glory on the last disc in the series eleven box set. you will probably get the box set on ebay for a decent price.

I've a few snaps to take on the progress of this, will get them up tomorrow.

T

treyzx10r

Watching this with much intrest Colin my Dad served in Korea 51-53 Infantry.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, thanks for the info on the last mash episode............The hunt is on!

I look forward to your latest pictures too.

Ron

First Name
Aaron
Great start Colin, I like the work you produce and this is another interesting piece as i know "f-all" about the korean conflict. I would however do a korean sherman one day.

Do ww2 figures fit with this timeline or are vietnam figs a closer match?

C

CDW

\ said:
thanks for the info on the last mash episode............The hunt is on!
No problems Ron, the only reference number i can find on the box set is F1-SGB 2420901012, hope that helps in your hunt

\ said:
Do ww2 figures fit with this timeline or are vietnam figs a closer match?
i'm under the impression the 1943 uniform was "tweaked" and superceded by the 1950, the 1951 had zip and stud fastening instead of button but that won't be visable at 1/35 :smiling3: , the 1951 trousers were a new design.

This won't be an issue with this dio though as the dress code was somewhat relaxed in motor pools and workshops.

an interesting fact is some surgeons trousers in MASH units that were too badly stained were dyed and used by mechanics in the motor pool for summer use.

anyway just a couple of quickies showing the "shop" with fixed and painted sheeting on the face and some ready for trimming and painting on the side

View attachment 44032View attachment 44033

and an idea i have to do the folding doors, there'll be three sections on each and this a double section to test the idea.

View attachment 44034View attachment 44035

View attachment 47240

View attachment 47241

View attachment 47242

View attachment 47243

Photo0688.jpg

Photo0689.jpg

Photo0692.jpg

Photo0694.jpg

D

dubster72

You're building skills are really good Colin! Those doors look excellent. I can see this will be as good as your Normandy dio.

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

Update time....

Had to extend the base a bit as i need more room for some extra stuff, and the sheds in situ just waiting for the top going on (which i'll have to do near the end as i need access for internal detailing such as legs on benches, storage boxes, tools etc)

View attachment 44308View attachment 44309

managed to get the armour for the dio, looks a nice tidy kit on an initial look at the sprues.

View attachment 44310

I've chosen the M4 A2 as i thought a little twist would work with this ... so it's a british crewed Sherman from later in the conflict thats in for repair and a lick of paint :smiling3:

View attachment 47497

View attachment 47498

View attachment 47499

Photo0696.jpg

Photo0697.jpg

Photo0698.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I've been hunting it for ages with no success.Cheers,

Ron
Hi Ron. Colin's right - there's loads of MASH DVDs available on ebay. I just got 'The Martinis & Medicine Collection' which includes all 11 series and the movie for £42 - although if you only want series 11 there are some out there.

Gern

PS Fabulous work on your workshop so far Colin.

PPS Just noticed the total run time for the set is 6331 minutes. Might be a while before I put glue to plastic again!

D

dubster72

Excellent work on those little details Colin! The bucket & brush are brilliant.

Keep it coming - forget the kitchen!

Patrick

W

wellsyman

looking great and i swear am not going to nik any off your ideas lol cheers steven