The Smythemeister's Albatros D.III

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HLooking great andy , nice save with the white and blue band . I love the look of this , there's just about every colour you can think of ! Cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good. The painted on stripes look better than the decals would have done. Very effective wood effect on the prop. I tend to work the other way. A dark base and then a lighter oil. I shall have to try your approach. Nearly done despite Eduards best efforts to thwart you :rolling:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well chaps, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I've decided this one is "done".If you look closely of course, you'll see that it's clearly not!!:tears-of-joy:
To be honest, I'm fed up to the back teeth with it,so.... it ain't getting rigged or, indeed, having the last few teeny weeny bits added. I'll put it down to experience and shove it somewhere in the deeper recesses of the cabinet!! Anyway, here's how it's ended up....
IMG20240316150617.jpg
IMG20240316150558.jpg
IMG20240316150625.jpg
Thanks to all of you who've endured this build,I appreciate it and I promise the next one will be better!!:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
We're out own worst critics. Looks fine to me. I do agree though that sometimes at the end of a build we just want it done.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Andy, Better to put it where you can see it and it will remind you of the 'fun' you had. I have the upper hull of a Leopard tank on my wall to remind me resin and plastic do not always go together correctly.....
10 out of 10 for a great attempt.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We're out own worst critics. Looks fine to me. I do agree though that sometimes at the end of a build we just want it done.
Yes, indeed we are Jim, however,in this case,I think rightly so!! :tears-of-joy:
Andy, Better to put it where you can see it and it will remind you of the 'fun' you had. I have the upper hull of a Leopard tank on my wall to remind me resin and plastic do not always go together correctly.....
10 out of 10 for a great attempt.
Thanks Mike, I've put it in view, although I'm not sure "Fun" is the correct description!!;)
Well done for sticking with it Andy, not too shabby either, all good experience
Cheers Mick, kind of you to say so :thumb2:
Andy,
There's nowt wrong with that mate.
Thanks Scottie, pleased you think so :hugging-face:
Wow, that's a colourful bird!

Looks great to me Andy.
Yes,it is colourful isn't it Andy?... not sure what terrain that camo is meant to blend in with though!!!:tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looks good to me. You’ve got to do the rigging though, that’s the fun bit that reminds you why you don’t do biplanes very often…..
Thanks Tim,but no,I will do some rigging on my SE5 when I do it, but not this one.... it's tested my patience too far already!!:astonished:
Looks great in the pictures Andy, this kit seemed to fight you all the way to the end. Many thanks for joining in and making this GB possible.
Cheers Ian,it certainly did, but at least I've broken my Biplane duck! Thanks for organising the GB, it's been excellent to see all of the cracking builds.:thumb2:
Well it looks tip top to me. Such a colourful bird. Nice job.
Thanks Colin,yes it's very colourful isn't it?..... Just as well really, because that takes the eyes away from the faults!!:tears-of-joy:
Well done for sticking with it and tbh it looks good to me!
Cheers Steve,main reason for following it through was the fact that I liked the colour scheme..... although it did come close to being binned a couple of times!! ;)

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I'm impressed Andy, not only did you overcome so many challenges, but the end result is pretty cool.
I think the camo would fall into the category of "hidden in plain sight".

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm impressed Andy, not only did you overcome so many challenges, but the end result is pretty cool.
I think the camo would fall into the category of "hidden in plain sight".
Sorry for the delay in replying Garry, thanks very much,it was definitely a fight,but I think those colours "rescued" it in the end. :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thought I’d commented on this one but i hadnt . Despite it fighting you it still looks great , cheers tony