The Smythemeister's Tamiya 1/48 HE219

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well guys, after my recent Poll,(OK, not THAT recent!!) this one came out on top :thumb2:.
.... After hearing the clamouring for it to begin,(REALLY?... you didn't see it?... Must've just been me then :tears-of-joy:),
Anywho.. Ere we go....
The boxart..
IMG20231106172700.jpg
That's also the destruction sheet there with a kinda "chart", I've seen this type of thing before on my Mossie build last year,and it was basically a guide for the camo job,(trace them on masking tape, cut them out and job done:thumb2:), but surely not something with THIS type of camo....
IMG20231106174303.jpg
?!!!:astonished:.. but,YES,it would seem so!!
Anyway, I'll tackle that later,(or maybe not!!:tears-of-joy:). SO THEN, what's in the box?!.....
IMG20231106173238.jpg
Starting off... A big lump of metal to build the cockpit around,(to stop it tail sitting apparently :thumb2:),
IMG20231106173637.jpg
Obviously two sections of that one are provided,and the clear parts are very nicely done too :smiling3:
IMG20231106174104.jpg
The decals and metal lump there, both quite impressive...
.... The pics aren't very detailed I'm afraid, but as I go along, I'll take more close up ones ;)
Actually, I've made a tentative start already, more of that next time though....
Anyone who'd like to jump onboard will be very welcomed... Just don't expect a museum piece !! ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t think the camouflage drawing is meant as a way to make masks for the plane, just as a full-size illustration of the camouflage pattern. But since these planes were sprayed individually, I’d say just use it as inspiration rather than the pattern you have to apply to be accurate.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well guys, after my recent Poll,(OK, not THAT recent!!) this one came out on top :thumb2:.
.... After hearing the clamouring for it to begin,(REALLY?... you didn't see it?... Must've just been me then :tears-of-joy:),
Anywho.. Ere we go....
The boxart..
View attachment 494902
That's also the destruction sheet there with a kinda "chart", I've seen this type of thing before on my Mossie build last year,and it was basically a guide for the camo job,(trace them on masking tape, cut them out and job done:thumb2:), but surely not something with THIS type of camo....
View attachment 494903
?!!!:astonished:.. but,YES,it would seem so!!
Anyway, I'll tackle that later,(or maybe not!!:tears-of-joy:). SO THEN, what's in the box?!.....
View attachment 494904
Starting off... A big lump of metal to build the cockpit around,(to stop it tail sitting apparently :thumb2:),
View attachment 494905
Obviously two sections of that one are provided,and the clear parts are very nicely done too :smiling3:
View attachment 494906
The decals and metal lump there, both quite impressive...
.... The pics aren't very detailed I'm afraid, but as I go along, I'll take more close up ones ;)
Actually, I've made a tentative start already, more of that next time though....
Anyone who'd like to jump onboard will be very welcomed... Just don't expect a museum piece !! ;)

Andy

As a test I once traced a Spitfire camo pattern out onto masking tape.....but I got an A4 sheet of acetate (overhead projector type) and drew on that in permanent marker and put the tape on that.

But as you say, for that camo, that will be something else!

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great looking kit Mr. Smiff! The weight is nice too. My Zoukei Mura He-219 also includes a formed weight to keep it from being a tail sitter. If you two do a great job on this, I might decide to build mine too. If you need any reference help for the build, just holler as I have these,

IMG_4223.JPG
Now get Cohan out of his hammock and you two get crackin' on it!!!...

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So many builds to keep an eye on but I definitely don't want to miss this!

That metal lump is a typically well thought out Tamiya solution.
Great to see you looking in Andy,I agree, the lump is a clever idea :smiling3:
I don’t think the camouflage drawing is meant as a way to make masks for the plane, just as a full-size illustration of the camouflage pattern. But since these planes were sprayed individually, I’d say just use it as inspiration rather than the pattern you have to apply to be accurate.
Cheers Jakko,yes,that pattern would be a nightmare to cut out eh?!! It'll be an approximation from me ! ;)
If ok im in Andy I like watching the wingy builds ,is it quite a old kit? Dave
Hi Dave,good to have you along mate :smiling3:
Well as I voted for this un I'm defo in. Magic carpet sat at a two foot hover as I type.
GFI Mr Smiff. :thumb2:
Liking it already and were only at the box opening stage!!!!!
HA!.... Got to admit the box art dragged me in a bit.... Keep that carpet under control Sir..... don't want the down draft blowing crumbs everywhere! ;)
this will be a brilliant build Smithy
chrisb
Hi Chris, not sure about brilliant, but I'll give it my best shot :smiling3:
Andy

As a test I once traced a Spitfire camo pattern out onto masking tape.....but I got an A4 sheet of acetate (overhead projector type) and drew on that in permanent marker and put the tape on that.

But as you say, for that camo, that will be something else!

ATB.

Andrew
Good to see you Andrew,it certainly would be "something else".... which is why I ain't doing it!! ;)
Sitting comfortably Andy. That metal lump is a new one on me but a very good idea. Seems much better than trying to stuff weight into odd spaces.
Hello Jim,nice to see you,yes,the lump is much better than stuffing ball bearings etc in :smiling3:
Great looking kit Mr. Smiff! The weight is nice too. My Zoukei Mura He-219 also includes a formed weight to keep it from being a tail sitter. If you two do a great job on this, I might decide to build mine too. If you need any reference help for the build, just holler as I have these,

View attachment 494939
Now get Cohan out of his hammock and you two get crackin' on it!!!...

Prost
Allen
We're both on the case Allen!! Thanks for the offer.... I've already taken you up on it!! ;) It's certainly a nice looking plane, those books look very interesting too. :smiling3:
Asking permission to jump on board, Andy. ;)
Welcome aboard Andy, great to have you along :smiling3:
Just appeared on FaceAche. Thought it may be of interest.
Found in Denmark and restored. HE219.
View attachment 494967
Hi Doug, great photo mate, thanks for that :smiling3:
Count me in Andy, great looking aircraft but sadly under powered. The only one left I believe is in the Smithsonian in the US
Excellent to see you Bob,it does look good doesn't it? I'll try and find that one on the net. ;)

Well then Chaps, it's been an incredibly busy week at work,(daily trips to Tintagel,700 miles,15hrs driving... plus, obviously,doing the job in between :sad: ), so I haven't got much actual progress done, but that'll change today ;) ....

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
that camouflage................... having made the Dragon 1/72 version, in 1/48 it might be feasible to make sponge 'stamps' Little pieces of sponge, each the same size, but different shape to apply the 'splotches' - just touched irregularly over the basecoat & gradually fill the area with different shape/orientations - it'll need a bit a bit of practice, but a lot faster than a brush!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just spray something in the same vein: little squigly blobs all over the upper sides of the plane.
The restored examples seem to have had the dark grey as a base colour and the yellow lines added afterwards - look at the wing leading edges. If I was building this though I think I'd just do a 'mottle' in dark over light, just like a FW190.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then, before I reply to your excellent posts and update my very latest progress guys,here are some detail pics of the initial stages... they have had a bit of primer,and some basic painting ....
IMG20231109183220.jpg
The lump with plastic parts added there...
IMG20231108181932.jpg
..a seat and panel.....
IMG20231109183009.jpg
Tother seat there,and finally for this post....
IMG20231109182930.jpg
Not bad I think you'd agree for a 1997 kit,(just for you that bit Dave ;) )
.... a much more interesting update to come later this evening.....