The Smythemeister's Tamiya 1/48 HE219

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Only just jumped on board with this one andy , been away ( again I hear people say , well somebodys got to carry on Judith Chalmers good work ! :cool: :cool: )
The cockpit looks absolutely fantastic , top work on the painting of the details , better than coloured etch . The pilots look great too and the slight extra weight will help with the tail sitting ( plus of course that whacking big lump of white metal !) keep it up mate its going to be a stunner , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Had to look twice at the two crew , until I realised .
Looks very nice Andy .
, especially like the colours.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I don’t build a lot of 1:48 planes, but last time I did, afterward I felt replacing the cockpit with resin parts had been pretty much a waste of time and money because so little of it remained visible. What I’m trying to say is that the pilots in your model will almost certainly be fine for what will actually be seen of them :smiling3:
Hi Jakko,yes,I know what you mean... It's just some times we just can't help ourselves eh?!!:tears-of-joy:
Looking good there Andy.

I've no idea about the colours but at least with bright ones there's more chance of seeing something in the cockpit once it's all buttoned up.
Me neither Andy!!... But I agree,at least with the brighter colours there is a SLIGHT chance you'll see em!! ;)
That's starting to look real good Mr. Smiff!!! Sorry to hear about your lack of bench time. So true, that when she's buttoned up, you won't see to much of the pit, but it's all in there Andy. Good luck with the masks too!!!...

Prost
Allen
Thanks very much Allen,much appreciated... Also,and I'm sorry I've not mentioned this before,thanks very much for the excellent pics and info that you very kindly sent me :smiling3: Top stuff Sir :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Only just jumped on board with this one andy , been away ( again I hear people say , well somebodys got to carry on Judith Chalmers good work ! :cool: :cool: )
The cockpit looks absolutely fantastic , top work on the painting of the details , better than coloured etch . The pilots look great too and the slight extra weight will help with the tail sitting ( plus of course that whacking big lump of white metal !) keep it up mate its going to be a stunner , cheers tony
HA!! Judith Charmers eh?... Well, that certainly changes my vision of you Tony... Or are you only Judith at weekends?!! :tears-of-joy: :thumb2: Thanks for the kind comments though mate. :smiling3:
Smiffy very nice office mate. Keep up the great work.
Cheers Scottie,it looks better in real life honest!! ;)
Had to look twice at the two crew , until I realised .
Looks very nice Andy .
, especially like the colours.
Good to see you John,and thanks very much :smiling3:
Coolio Mrr Smythe!!
Thanks Andrew.."Coolio" eh?!...you really ARE down with the kids mate!! :tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
In TV.. so then, just a few pics of my latest progress :smiling3: ....
This was the bit I was wondering about,as in how to successfully glue the metal lump to the plastic,after dry fitting it was apparent that I didn't actually have to :thumb2: , it literally "clicked" into place and the location points, with a dab of "Contacta" did the rest :smiling3: ...
IMG20231119152605.jpg
.. held into place, obviously...
IMG20231120175931.jpg
Clamps removed and a very decent join really... There's a certain Dornier plane that was nicknamed "The Flying Pencil" if I remember correctly.... Surely this thing would classify the same....
... Narrow, little height,and very long..
IMG20231120175922.jpg
... I'm quite happy so far,and here's some stuff I'm prepping for later
IMG20231120180131.jpg
.. airleo... Areli... Eari ... :flushed:
...FLAPPY BITS .....
:tears-of-joy: fitted ready...
... and then some other bits...
IMG20231120180838.jpg
.... That's it really,gonna be exceedingly busy this week once again,but I'll try and get something done :smiling3:.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ok then Guys,
Despite having to do muchos WORK STUFF this week,I have managed some progress.....
First up...
IMG20231125143344.jpg
Needed to shove the wings on,but jumped ahead somewhat...
IMG20231125180600.jpg
.. there they are :smiling3: ... But ere's some shortcuts I did to get there...
IMG20231125143511.jpg
Those location points were a bit unusual,and then these bits were added too...
IMG20231125143457.jpg
Seemed weird at the time,but it all fitted excellently. . Typical Tamiya :smiling3:
Next...
IMG20231125173659.jpg
WHEELS!!... Lastly..
IMG20231125143717.jpg
The uptype guns, very flush to the fuselage,I drilled out the barrels as they were solid,makes a difference,however, you'd never probably notice!!
So that's it for now, until tomorrow, I'm hoping to get some proper paint on......

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
uptype guns
Those were known as schräge Musik (SHRAY-guh moo-ZEEK), literally “angled music” or “slanted music”, and informally also “weird music”. The term makes no sense in English but was used in Nazi Germany to refer to some foreign styles of music that the regime wasn’t overly fond of, such as jazz. I guess the guns being angled steeply upward made someone associate one with the other.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Those were known as schräge Musik (SHRAY-guh moo-ZEEK), literally “angled music” or “slanted music”, and informally also “weird music”. The term makes no sense in English but was used in Nazi Germany to refer to some foreign styles of music that the regime wasn’t overly fond of, such as jazz. I guess the guns being angled steeply upward made someone associate one with the other.
Cheers Jakko,I love little snippets of info like that :thumb2:.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Also,as an aside, whilst I was doing some little bits I looked out of the "War Office" window earlier and saw this sky..
IMG20231122164022.jpg
... Just thought I'd share it,as it reminded me of an old OZZY song,... "Fire in the Sky" !!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on a treat. Cockpit looks good as do the pilots. Tamiya's usual good fit with the wings. Weird music - you learn something everyday. Especially from the likes of Jakko :thumb2:
Skies like that are truly beautiful.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening Andy,

Seems I missed your wingy-thingy build but have had a read through now. Great work on the cockpit and the pilot chaps…..all very nice indeed :cool:
Hello Si, thanks very much,glad you like it so far :smiling3:
Progressing nicely I see Andy.
I'm getting quite envious of you all cracking on and I'm in limbo right now.
Hi Doug, cheers,I hope you break out of limbo soon mate. ;)
Coming on a treat. Cockpit looks good as do the pilots. Tamiya's usual good fit with the wings. Weird music - you learn something everyday. Especially from the likes of Jakko :thumb2:
Skies like that are truly beautiful.
Thank you Jim,every day certainly is a school day on this site eh? ;)
How 'bout the olde Sailors Ditty........."Red sky at night, sailors delight". For those non Nautical types, it meant fair weather ahead. ;)
We have a couple of similar sayings down this way Rick....
Red sky at night, shepherds's delight,(good weather coming)
Red sky in the morning, farmer's warning,(bad weather coming) ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Red sky at night, shepherds's delight,(good weather coming)
Red sky in the morning, farmer's warning,(bad weather coming
- Or red in the morning, shepherds warning
red at night - barns' alight
can't remember where I heard that from - might be Tony Capstick, or Mike Harding.....
Dave