The Smythemeister's TBF/TBM 1 Avenger. Italeri 1/48

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Great start Andy :thumb2:

There is some very nice detail work in the cockpit, as you say Italeri do some very nice kits.

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys.. more personal updates later,
... For now though,I have managed to cram in a bit of progress this evening...
IMG20230502174618.jpg
.. the instructions are,shall we say,a bit lacking!! :sad: ..
But I've done a few sub assemblies, guessing them as I go :smiling3: ...
IMG20230502174634.jpg
I must admit that Tim was spot on about these planes .... they certainly were HUGE!!
IMG20230502175929.jpg
This time,I've not got the AM dash panels,and due to the amount of raised bits I think most decals are out,so it'll be hand painting all the way, I've done the black base colour,and highlighted the surrounds with some "gunmetal grey",
Hopefully it'll all come together,but my time is limited this week,so we'll just have to wait and see. ;)
Thanks,as always, for looking in,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, after getting home I grabbed an hour at the bench. :smiling3:
Spent the time having a bash at the engine,I won't be going as far as some of you guys,(adding individual pipework and the like), but I'll be quite happy with what this is setting out with ;)
The detail ain't bad,and this is as far as I've got up to now, just basic colours blocked in, varnish applied and then a black wash on the cylinders,
So far, it's coming along nicely imho, but a way to go yet :smiling3: ...IMG20230503180942.jpg
.. hopefully I'll get some time in tomorrow. :smiling3: ...
I'm enjoying this so far ;)
Cheers for now,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Engine is looking good…..fairly complex beast isn’t it…..mine has a lot of PE extras that won’t be going on, because you simply won’t see it under the cowling…..
Cheers Tim,
Yes it is,and I'm not adding any extra bits to mine for exactly the reasons yon mention ;)
For what you will actually be able to see in the end,I think these details, with a bit of cunning painting, should suffice. :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well ere we go again!!...
.... Doing this before I have to do a chippy run..... don't often do this,but Rach is poorly,and I don't wanna cook! :sad:
This kit is quite nice imho,but it took me about 2 hours to get the cockpit,dry fit run, into one side of the fuselage :sad: .... After chopping some bits off ,I kinda got it to fit. ;).. here it is under duress!!...
IMG20230505192718.jpg
It was a bit of a surprise,and I envisage some more problems in the following stages!! Nevermind,I shall press on :smiling3:.….
IMG20230505192618.jpg
The individual detail stuff is great...
IMG20230505192657.jpg
.. I still haven't lost my love of Italeri kits, however,this one is certainly lacking in assistance for the build!!
... That's ok mind, I'll suss it out ;)
Cheers for now,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
looking good Andy, I love that they've moulded the wiring on the cockpit walls..
Cheers Chris,yes,that is a nice touch,which when closed up,will enhance what you will be able to see :smiling3: .... Looking at the pics on zoom I see several bits that need tidying up, amazing what you don't "see" until you look at the photos!!
Looks great Andy, hope the gaffer is feeling better soon
Thanks Mick, despite the fettling required,this is still a very enjoyable build..... funnily enough, when I looked on the net to see if anyone had encountered similar problems to me,I couldn't find ANY of these Italeri kits,they were almost ALL "Hobby Boss" kits :sad: .... So I'm plodding along using my own solutions!!
Rach will be fine thanks. :smiling3: it's nothing serious.... My Chippy run went down well....got a few brownie points there !! ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Morning Chaps,
I've made some progress but it's been slowed down somewhat due to having to glue stuff together in stages, because of the need to "persuade" parts into position :sad:
In some cases pieces have to be "adapted" to overcome misalignment......
IMG20230506192705.jpg
You see part number 64,at the top,there?......
IMG20230506192813.jpg
Yep,the one on the right.Here it's been removed after trying to follow the destructions,no way could you put that where it's supposed to go,and then seat the turret mount correctly!
So, it had to be chopped up a bit....
IMG20230506194954.jpg
This part has been particularly problematic as not only has the top completely broken off,but the next portion down has also started to split :sad: ,this is all starting to look like I may well have to model this with canopy closed,instead of open,as I'd hoped,but we'll see ;)
Anyway,here it is at it stands at the moment.....
IMG20230506195018.jpg
IMG20230506195030.jpg
... I'll get several hours in this afternoon,so "onwards and upwards" :smiling3: ......
Cheers,
Andy

Last edited: