The venerable Bentley Blower in 1/12th

nickedw

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Thanks for all the kind comments and support.

So Here's the Petrol tank's first excursion into the 'real world'. This is my favourite bit to be honest, where all the stuff that has thus far only really been in my head and on a screen, becomes a physical object (or quite often not, as the case may be)

So this is one of those 'successful operation/dead patient' jobs, Although it looks pretty good (IMHO) it's impossible to separate the mesh from the support stuctures because it's so fragile.

52971862719_dfc9e14542_b.jpg

The CNC bit isn't bad, although I need to review my tool choice, it's not a great edge. So back to the old virtual drawing board then :smiling3:

Shouldn't be too hard to fix by orientating the print vertically. I thought I would try this first as a vertical print will take a hell of a lot longer.

regards

Nick

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Great job and all that CAD drawing is really fascinating. :thumb2:
A question, if I may: should not the new vertical version solve the problem, is it possible to print just the supports and then use some "real" mesh to complete the tank "cage" or they are too fragile?
Hope I'm not teaching a cat how to climb (as we say here in Italy) :rolling:.

nickedw

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Great job and all that CAD drawing is really fascinating. :thumb2:
A question, if I may: should not the new vertical version solve the problem, is it possible to print just the supports and then use some "real" mesh to complete the tank "cage" or they are too fragile?
Hope I'm not teaching a cat how to climb (as we say here in Italy) :rolling:.
Yes it may well come to that.
My aim was to make the process repeatable. So if I was building this just as a one-off for myself, I would do that. By making it printable, it means I can easily produce these at will.

BTW it didn’t solve the problem, the mesh is just too fine. I may increase the wire thickness and have one last attempt.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Although this technology isn't for me. I think all things evolve and if CAD and 3D modelling are to be the future then we need pioneers to push the boundaries.
Keep on posting Nick, it's nice seeing what can be done and what is being done. :thumb2:

nickedw

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
So here's where I'm up to:-

52974488183_4ba366d9a4_b.jpg

It very nearly worked. But didn't quite:-

52973439517_3823fd4787_b.jpg

52974034701_24c1e221a6_b.jpg

I don't quite know whats going on here, when it comes off the printer it looks like Nora Batty's stockings, really, really baggy and out of shape, so I wrote it off. However, after it's out of the Vat for a bit it all tightens up to look like what you see?? Resin shouldn't do that, in my experience it doesn't shrink like this. Well it clearly does, but unless you try and print a spider web you don't notice it would appear.

Anyway, heres how the undamaged panel looks
52974034716_3efb2293c2_b.jpg

we like :smiling3:

Fit with the CNC ali part?

52974034731_2e9fd64bb3_b.jpg

52973439452_d1a27bd057_b.jpg

Check, and finally:-

52974034706_8775389d0c_b.jpg

52973439207_4a89990a21_b.jpg

For print number two of something this complex, I'll take that.

So a few things to try
1. Increase the print resolution from 50 to 30 microns, this will hurt the print time but hey.
2. beef up the mesh, increase the wire thickness slightly, this will take it out of scale but not noticeably.
3. Put fresh alcohol in my washer, I just printed a filter! the slightest bit of debris ends up captured in it I just discovered. :smiling3:

Thanks for all the support

Nick

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Burn him at the stake...no no just kidding and it's not witchery. :tears-of-joy: Great stuff Nick. We have a few members in the local club doing this sought of thing for their aircraft undercarriage and wiring and I just ogle.
I'd like to one day try printing my own 1/35 scale weapons and stuff and spend more of my time detail painting my dioramas.

Cheers,
Wabble