The Victory Challenge

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
HMS Victory has arrived in Birmingham, we've got canals you know.

Opening the box reveals this impressive array of plastic and a decal sheet.

It doesn't look too bad. From molds that are nearly as old as me I was expecting a lot more flash and seam lines.

There is also a comprehensive instruction booklet....err...sheet.

The challenge is to match Airfix's publicity shot of the model.

But as I have a few more facilities, particularly paints, to hand I will in fact do something of a compromise between that and the image in the box art.

It will be nearer the former than the latter :smiling3:

I'm hoping to get started this evening or tomorrow, that's out of my hands!

Cheers

Steve

P

phikoleoputra

It's gonna turn out better than the publicity shot I suppose, with your skill and all. :smiling3:

P

Polux

What a hell Steve!!! O_o

You are going to build a ship? I say it with the major respect!! :smiling3: is just is not usual ;)

Good luck Steve, I'm with Leo...will be better sure ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It's gonna turn out better than the publicity shot I suppose, with your skill and all. :smiling3:
I bloody doubt it :smiling3:

I've had a look at the fit of the two fuselage....oops....I mean hull parts and I'd like to take back the bit I wrote about the molding not being too bad :smiling3:

Also my deck is a bit warped and doesn't look like it will fit terribly well :smiling3: All this can be easily fixed with a swipe of the sanding stick, a slice of the scalpel, maybe a bit of Milliput, some glue and a little bit of intermediate level swearing.

There are loads of those ejector pin marks but none so far in any visible places. I haven't checked the sails yet.

I bet Lord Nelson didn't have this trouble!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
C'mon boys, we can't let Steve suffer all on his own, let's muck in too.....

I'm in on this caper and will be looking around for one of these things, sorry model!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have stuck together the three pieces that comprise the hull and deck of the ship. I have substantially re-modelled the nose or bow or whatever it is called so that the plastic all joins together with no steps or seams. It's something aircraft modellers get quite good at ;)

I'm no naval architect but I think it is an improvement on the original :smiling3:

I expect to spend a considerable time cleaning the flash off the sails next. On the bright side they are free of ejector pin marks!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice too Graham. I bet you had nearly as much fun as I'm having :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

:confused:Wow I've stepped off into the Twilight zone,next thing dogs will be sleeping with cats! Off to a good start on that Steve. Just wondering did you loose a bet or something?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The fuselage is now joined together, a little bit of filler was required at the arse end or stern as we matelots call it, and primed with white Halfords plastic primer. Still working on the sails.

You can see that the detail is a bit soft and that the nautical equivalent of panel lines, the planking or cladding on the hull, is raised and indistinct, not that I could care less :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wow have you gone mad Steve you do know that this is a ship don't you.

Great start by the way. Just like Ron I will have a look to see if I can find one and join in the fun

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm persevering with the sails. Here's the latest lot.

It's difficult to see where the flash ends and the parts start so I'm treating this as a sort of 'carve your own' out of the supplied plastic :smiling3:

Also, when I said there were no ejector pin marks on the sails I hadn't looked at the backs.

:eek:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Wow I can't wait to see this in a lovely late-war mottle .... wait, wrong kit! :P

Ejection pinmarks ahoy!

First Name
Dave
Looking good Steve.Dont forget to add the 'Golden Rivet'!.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking good Steve.Dont forget to add the 'Golden Rivet'!.
Rivet or divot :smiling3:

Wouldn't Victory have had a copper plated hull by the early 19th century ?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham D

\ said:
Rivet or divot :smiling3: Wouldn't Victory have had a copper plated hull by the early 19th century ?

Cheers

Steve
Yes it would. I was "fun" building it. As my son bought it for me as an Xmas present, it would be rude not to make it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Graham. As you can tell I really don't know much about what I'm building :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job Steve. I'm enjoying watching this. Those are some hefty ejector marks.