The Victory Challenge

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a first go at painting the hull.

It's a start, there's something to work with but there's a lot to do. I'm using my normal enamel paints so I'll need to leave this for 24 hrs before I start mucking about with it.

I've also got some paint on the sails, with a bit of variety.

These need something else doing to them (apart from painting the yard arms!) but I've not worked out what...yet.

Also painted the masts, again with a bit of variation as it seems unlikely to me that every tree and every varnish was exactly the same.

Some detail painting to be done once they have cured.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Steve.

I think the sails could do with some pre and possibly post shading to give varying shades darker at the bottom lighter to the top.

Going to try that with mine once completed ( if you've read my post on my build you will under stand what I mean )

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice work Steve. I'm in total agreement with you about timber.....It does annoy me when I see pieces of wood on models all stained the same shade. Trees arn't all the same colour inside!

So, top marks for your masts....

I'm on the lookout for a kit , so should join in the fun in a few days

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Steve. Victory is in sight :smiling3: I agree with Ian and Ron, the wood effect is a good idea. Ian's suggestion of pre or post-shading the sails would bring them to life a bit more I think.

G

Graham D

Shading the sails will make them look better, I didn't and they look very unintersiting. Also there are ropes molded into the sails which could be highlighted

M

Mike

I am so over the moon people have picked up the challenge! Seeing these great results is motivation to get mine looking better, picking up some great tips on this one!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've started a bit of detail painting of the hull. You can only paint the detail that's there and this kit is very badly molded!

Anyway this is where I'll be leaving this for a week as I'm away next week.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's where I have to leave it until I get home next weekend. I posted an explanation of what I've done for Michael in Ian's (papa 695) thread.

Cheers

Steve

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Impressive Steve but does it actually float look forward to the next update. I have one of these a bargain about a year ago £5 (a something different purchase) and after inspection on my return home I scuttled it and it sank to the bottom of my stash but all this activity as strangely aroused my interest again :smiling3: Keep up the great work cheers John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dig it out John and have a bash! What could possibly go wrong?

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Impressive Steve but does it actually float look forward to the next update. I have one of these a bargain about a year ago £5 (a something different purchase) and after inspection on my return home I scuttled it and it sank to the bottom of my stash but all this activity as strangely aroused my interest again :smiling3: Keep up the great work cheers John
I've been dragged in, so come on in John. The water's nice and warm!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've more or less finished this now. I haven't followed the painting instructions but have rigorously adhered to the building instructions, including the placement of the decal flags!

This is taken in bad light and I will take some proper pictures tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

G

Graham D

Very neat painting. I found it incredibly dificult to get straight lines, even with masking tape.

M

Mike

Please don't take proper pictures, we may find the marketing photos magically replaced by one from here at this rate!