Tiger I - January 1943 production "Tiki" 8./SS-Panzer-Regiment ”Das Reich”

First Name
Tommy
As a real Tiger nerd I'm not satisfied with building a early, mid or late production Tiger.

I usually go deeper in my research and try to build a Tiger true to it's production month also.

So here is my approach to the (among Tiger enthusiasts) well known Tiger "Tiki".

Tiger812_Tiki_02.jpg

Tiger 812 from 8./SS-Panzer-Regiment ”Das Reich”

This Tiger is interesting due to it's field modifications and unique camo painting.

It was painted in the standard grey color with a plain yellow (not the usually dunkelgelb) camo paint applied by the crew in the field.

The yellow was hand painted in a rather sloppy way with a brush and so was the tactical number 812 on the turret.

The above picture shows the Tiki Tiger with the Division Commander, SS-Gruppenführer Krüger standing on the front plate of the Tiger

during a ceremony held on 20 april 1943.

wbTiki-001.jpg

And this is the Tamiya kit I will use for this build. This early production Tamiya kit will not be early enough (january 1943)

for my build so there will be some modification in order to make it pass as a january 1943 production Tiger.

More will follow soon....

Tommy

T

tommy1drop

Looking forward to following this build, I love those big kitties;)

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-002.jpg

88mm KwK 36 L/56

This is the gun the early production Tigers used.

I will use this highly detailed gun barrel. It consist of 11 parts and it looks great when assembled.

wbTiki-003.jpg

It even got rifling, to bad it will not be visible when assembled. But it is a nice detail. :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like this one,and will be looking forward to seeing

what changers you do make to it, ;)

F

Fenlander

I am never as dedicated to reality detail as you are but I cannot help admire the work that goes into reproducing history.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh lol, :D

I do real like how you do add or change the detail,to be right for the time frame your making the tank too, ;)

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-006.jpg

All the holes filled with putty and I almost forgot to remove the plastic piece where the fire extinguisher is to be placed.

I will make a new one because the one that comes with the kit does not look good.

wbTiki-007.jpg

The sides are also done, only the rear is left to do.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
agree with Ian on this one,watching ,to see how and whats done,always like to lean new things, ;)

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-008.jpg

The holes on the rear is filled with putty and the molded taillight and the plastic latch for the jack handle is removed.

Have already glued on a small PE part where the new taillight will be placed.

A good thing with this Tamiya kit is that the frame mounts for the rear mudguards are actually looking good. So I won't replace them.

And as a January 1943 production Tiger the frame mounts should still be present.

They was removed in May 1943 when the new hinge design was introduced.

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-010.jpg

The mudguards are gone and the front plate is in place just need to fix the small gap.

wbTiki-011.jpg

First I planned to remove and replace the toggle bolts for the wading cap, but they are actually looking quite good so I will leave them as they are.

I have also drilled out the barrel of the front MG to increase the level of detail.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just small detailing dose make all the difference to add just a little more, ;)

will be interested to see,what you are doing with the mud guards,

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Tommy, lovely stuff mate.

First Name
Tommy
Thanks for your comments!

wbTiki-012.jpg

More stuff that needs to be fixed...

The drivers periscopes are missing on this kit so they need to be added.

wbTiki-013.jpg

The holes for the 5 steel rods that kept the splash screen in place are missing and the notches on each side of the splash screen are also missing.