Tiger I - January 1943 production "Tiki" 8./SS-Panzer-Regiment ”Das Reich”

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-022.jpg

Started with adding some details to the commanders cupola. The hatch will be closed so all the interior

details are skipped.

And the weld beads around the turret roof still need some work before they are finished.

wbTiki-023.jpg

Other than the weld beads, the turret are pretty much completed.

wbTiki-024.jpg

wbTiki-025.jpg

Glued a small plastic piece under the gun mantle to get the desired gun elevation.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tommy1drop

Nice work Tommy, this really is coming along a treat, looking forward to the next update;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
like all the added detail,looking real nice so far, ;)

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice work Tommy. This big cat is certainly being given some loving attention.

Great stuff

Paul

First Name
Tommy
Thank you, glad that you like it so far!

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-026.jpg

The exhausts needed to be fixed. This Tamiya kit did not have the correct angle on the flaps.

To the left you see the correct angle. All I did was to cut of the plastic where the flaps was supposed to be the Tamyia way.

Sanding down the inner ring with the holes and then on with a PE part.

The small flaps are from the kit.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Tommy and outstanding additional detail.

One glaring error with early Tamiya Tigers was the shape of the turret itself - the horseshoe shape of it was completely symmetrical, when in fact it shouldn't be. I think however that this seems to have been rectified in this later kit.

This early Tiger is coming on a treat and will be superb when finished.

Great stuff

Paul

First Name
Tommy
Thank you Paul,

Yes the turret is of the wrong shape on this kit, it should have been a little more curved on it's right side. But I decided not to bother with that on this build.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No worries Tommy, I'm sorry I brought it up now.

I genuinely thought that they'd sorted that out looking at your pics (it's difficult to tell with the angle of the turret, but to my eye it looks to be at least a little bit more of an acute angle on the righthand side).

I've done a fair few Tamiya Tigers myself over the years. This particular error didn't actually come to light until relatively recently. Since that time I've either replaced the turret with resin items from Tiger models or done the surgery myself (which, to be honest, isn't that difficult). Getting the resin mantlet to fit afterward may prove a bit trickier though.

All things considered I think you made the right choice

You know your Tigers Tommy and that's good enough for me.

Looking forward to this progress

Cheers

P

First Name
Tommy
Think nothing of it :smiling3:

Nice to meet another Tiger guy!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You know it Tommy I love the Tiger!

Prefer the late, steel-wheeled version myself, but all Tigers are cool. The way this build is progressing it looks as though we're in for a treat and having seen your figure builds I'm expecting great things.

Good stuff

P

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-029.jpg

Not much progress on the Tiger yet, but I have started with misc items that will be on the Tiger.

Currently I'm in the process of bending and soldering the mudguards.

In January 1943 the mudguards was modified by adding triangular braces at the ends of each section.

wbTiki-030.jpg

Here's the original engine hatch that was included in the kit. And it needs just a tiny bit of modification to pass as a January -43 production hatch.

The hatch above is a February -43 hatch so it is just a month to new for my build :smiling3:

wbTiki-031.jpg

This is how a January -43 hatch should look like after the introduction of the Feifel air cleaning system.

As for the modifcation I did, the only thing needed was to remove the holding stops on the sides.

A

american

I am impressed! You gave us so manny informations and tips! Good job so far ! I will be watching this Tiger:smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
the added detailing dose look great,and what a very big difference it dose make,as well,

very nice progress so far, ;)

First Name
Tommy
wbTiki-036.jpg

wbTiki-037.jpg

Thing's are going a bit slow...

But here are a couple of images of the smoke launchers dry fitted on the Tiger.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very impressed,with the after market bit,they look great,progressing along nicely, :smiling3: