Tim’s 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk VI

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not something I swear at really Allen. It’s just sticking plastic together and throwing paint at it.
If you want swearing you should have heard me trying to put up curtain poles a couple of days ago….RSJ lintel and no wood blocks to screw to equals total nightmare. Looks like “no more nails” to fit wooden rails before I can get the poles up….. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Useless stuff Tim, any weight and it will pull it and the pole off the plaster. When you drilled could you feel the RSJ or a void ? There are ways to fix into RSJ .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The larger of the two sheets of camouflage marking. You do know that it is 1:1 with the model and can be used as a mask. Take a photocopy or three in full size. Cut out and you have a set of masks. The fuselage ones need a bit of fettling and extrapolation but work out OK. Tamiya are (or where) good like that. I have a few copies of the mosssie one and some for the Spitfire.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Useless stuff Tim, any weight and it will pull it and the pole off the plaster. When you drilled could you feel the RSJ or a void ? There are ways to fix into RSJ .
PM sent so I don’t clog up the thread John.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well that’s no good……take the spit with you. I mean, what else are you going to do there…
It's funny you should say that but Saturday coming we're off for a week...... Not sure it works go down very well though.... :sad:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The larger of the two sheets of camouflage marking. You do know that it is 1:1 with the model and can be used as a mask. Take a photocopy or three in full size. Cut out and you have a set of masks. The fuselage ones need a bit of fettling and extrapolation but work out OK. Tamiya are (or where) good like that. I have a few copies of the mosssie one and some for the Spitfire.
I've done something similar with Airfix but that wasn't 1:1, so I had to scan it in and scale it up......I thought I was being very clever..... But clearly not ... :smiling5:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Ian, I missed this last time I was on this thread. I did know that, but have never tried Camo masks. Always just pencil marked for one colour then blue tack (now science putty) for the other. Might give it a go though, just for variation.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, we finally have progress, though not much. Wings and nascelles done.
F466C843-0454-4165-9263-8EF1F0FA44D2.jpeg
Never started a wingy build on the wings before, but hell, I’m only following orders :tongue-out3: Fit was pretty good, but not stellar. The nascelles needed a little filler and there seems to be a slight step where the props fit, but nothing that can’t be cleaned up in a few minutes with Emery paper.

Undercart next…..might need a little modification as I want to paint the tyres and wheels separate from the legs and the wheels look to be held on with a solid bar.
As always, all comments welcome.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Off to a good start Tim. It is funny to start with the wings, but I did the same thing with mine. Do you have a chance to build the under carriage, paint it and then glue it in place after you've painted her? That's what I did on Mossie.....

Prost
Allen

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I painted all my undercarriage bits first then stuck it altogether with a bit of ca, wasnt to fiddly.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Off to a good start Tim. It is funny to start with the wings, but I did the same thing with mine. Do you have a chance to build the under carriage, paint it and then glue it in place after you've painted her? That's what I did on Mossie.....

Prost
Allen
Yep, that’s the way it goes together Allen. Trouble is you need to capture the wheel when assembling the support frame, and I want to paint the wheel separately for ease of access. I think I know how to do it, so no drama.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I painted all my undercarriage bits first then stuck it altogether with a bit of ca, wasnt to fiddly.
Cheers for the idea Mark. However, I just like the idea of assembling the support leg first, then paint, then weather, then putting in the wheel and axle. It looks quite simple to arrange, so that’s what I’m going to do.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice to see this started Tim. Thankfully not too much fettling to do on the wings.
Undercart next…..might need a little modification as I want to paint the tyres and wheels separate from the legs and the wheels look to be held on with a solid bar.
My Airfix kit had thought of that and the wheels just clicked into place after it was all painted :thumb2:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice to see this started Tim. Thankfully not too much fettling to do on the wings.

My Airfix kit had thought of that and the wheels just clicked into place after it was all painted :thumb2:
Jim
I’ll find out when the glue has dried Jim LOL. Seriously, the fit was good so I’m not expecting much to do, probably a few cracks and some sanding to make them look “of a piece”. The wheels won’t take much, just a new axle that can be pushed in when the legs are built up.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tim,

Nice start Tim. I've actually just started mine and an just behind yours....as you say odd to start with the wings .... I'm sure everything wingy I have ever done started with the cockpit!

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim,

Nice start Tim. I've actually just started mine and an just behind yours....as you say odd to start with the wings .... I'm sure everything wingy I have ever done started with the cockpit!

ATB.

Andrew
Yep, never started anywhere else on an aeroplane build ever :tongue-out3: No reason not to, now I think about it, just convention.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheers for the idea Mark. However, I just like the idea of assembling the support leg first, then paint, then weather, then putting in the wheel and axle. It looks quite simple to arrange, so that’s what I’m going to do.
Thanks for the idea...was thinking how to approach that myself!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Apologies tim , i thought id commented on this already . Excellent start , its a beautiful kit if i recall correctly ( its a good few years since I did mine ). I do seem to remember something about the step on the nacelle fronts , easily sorted though . Cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Tim,
Like Andrew,i`m at a similar point in my build to you,however,i`ve done the wheely stuff.......
.... I did indeed paint the tyres and hubs separately from all the metal stuff,then popped the wheel onto the "Bar" of the framework...... then shoved on the opposite side with a splash of "Contacta",held in place for a few mins,and voila ........ it fell to bits!!;)......
...... not really..... they came out fine:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:!!
Loving the Clamps btw..... a man just can`t have enough Clamps!!:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Apologies tim , i thought id commented on this already . Excellent start , its a beautiful kit if i recall correctly ( its a good few years since I did mine ). I do seem to remember something about the step on the nacelle fronts , easily sorted though . Cheers tony
Nothing to apologise for Tony. I have really only just started……glad you like it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim,
Like Andrew,i`m at a similar point in my build to you,however,i`ve done the wheely stuff.......
.... I did indeed paint the tyres and hubs separately from all the metal stuff,then popped the wheel onto the "Bar" of the framework...... then shoved on the opposite side with a splash of "Contacta",held in place for a few mins,and voila ........ it fell to bits!!;)......
...... not really..... they came out fine:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:!!
Loving the Clamps btw..... a man just can`t have enough Clamps!!:thumb2:
Hi Andy. Yep, a modeller can never have too many clamps, too much blue tack, or too many kits LOL…..
I’ve decided that I will drill out the “bar” side and replace it with correct sized wire that fits into the corresponding hole on the other side. The legs might be a little flimsy until that’s done, but I’m sure it will be fine.