Geoff
Good start Tim, looking forward to seeing the cockpit painted up :thumb2:

Geoff.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Me too Geoff :thumb2: Thanks for the compliment as well.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tim well ive always loved the clip wing spitty an yours is lookin really good an i love the green an grey camo wish i had done this on my big CONTROL LINE spitty with a 10cc glow engine in it an about a 5ft wing span as i always love big models
chrisb

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow, that must have been a handful when flying Chris……you must have had to tie yourself to a pole to stop it pulling you over :tongue-out3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Tim!!

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK you lot! Hands up those that spotted the stupid mistake and didn’t say anything…….I mean, how on earth was I going to fit the fuselage half’s together with the second frame behind the seat on upside down :flushed: Bet you were all just waiting for the bad language to start so you could have a good laugh at me LOL…..
I only tried a dry fit to see if I needed to shave anything down or open up the location cut outs a little to get a good fit. Couldn’t get the sides together and join them at all to start with, then the half florin dropped……
All sorted now though so I spent the morning removing the bits from the fuselage that are not needed if I want a landed spitfire with the canopy open…..five in all….last of the internals next, then wet grey green stuff…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
OK you lot! Hands up those that spotted the stupid mistake and didn’t say anything…….I mean, how on earth was I going to fit the fuselage half’s together with the second frame behind the seat on upside down :flushed: Bet you were all just waiting for the bad language to start so you could have a good laugh at me LOL…..
I only tried a dry fit to see if I needed to shave anything down or open up the location cut outs a little to get a good fit. Couldn’t get the sides together and join them at all to start with, then the half florin dropped……
All sorted now though so I spent the morning removing the bits from the fuselage that are not needed if I want a landed spitfire with the canopy open…..five in all….last of the internals next, then wet grey green stuff…..
Oops. Bit of a boo-boo there.....!! ;)

But then I realised yesterday that I fitted the wrong cowling top option to one of my 109s and it's too late to fix but you have to look closely to realise it's the wrong one....:loudly-crying:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Late arrival (as usual) off to a great start Tim. I'm a big fan of detailing up the cockpits and the Eduard stuff does lift it, especially on 1/48 and upwards.
Cheers Mick. I too think the Eduard IPs and sundry dials lift a build considerably, and seat belts are a must have. For not a lot of outlay and effort they sharpen up the pit nicely.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Tim.
It was not nice sitting on the front row when you noticed the alternative fitting .The language was quite entertaining.
Have to admit that until I saw the recent TV program on the Spit I'd never realised about the wing shape. To me it's the iconic place of WW2 regardless of wing shape .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agreed John. It is THE iconic aircraft of the conflict, at least, for the Brits. Good job Supermarine and Rolls Royce decided to fund his design and build outside of ministry requirements really. After all, the military tends to ask for what they want now, and he was looking at what they needed in the future.
I always wonder what Mitchell would have gone on to produce. It’s quite hard to see the design similarities between the Walrus flying boat and the Spitfire. However, he designed both of them, and the Walrus has many British aviation “firsts” incorporated into its design, showing his ability to drive the design envelope forwards. .
His four engine bomber design looked well ahead of the curve. On paper it had the lift strength of a Lancaster coupled with the speed of a spitfire…..a big bomber with an elliptical wing would have looked weird though. The design drawings look like a Lancaster with an oversized spitfire wing attached….
I wonder what he could have done with the jet age? Not bad for a railway engineer really.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'd have liked to see the bomber take place,wonder what the out come of the war would have been .
Thinking more about its speed more than anything .