Trumpeter 1/32 Dauntless

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been making slow progress but I am getting there.

I have joined the fuselage to the wings and, as you can see, the fit is perfect even in the usually tricky area under the wing where two fuse halves and wing section join.
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
I just did a smear of Mr Dissolved Putty along the join and 24 hours later gave it a light sanding then some liquid sanding with i.p.a. and a cotton bud so no detail is lost.

The engine and engine panels attached
IMG_3109.jpg
The engine panels are clear plastic and it appears back because I sprayed the inside with black primer.

I also reattached the aerial. As all the 'heavy lifting' is finished on this kit the danger to this is now reduced. I will just have to take care.
IMG_3110.jpg
next some masking and cleaning all over with ipa before then priming.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Joe - that is very interesting.

Just looking through - lots of photos with the flaps up, in fact all on the first page and that one of the aircraft I am building.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have applied MRP Black primer over the airframe. Tomorrow I will check it for flaws, deal with them, then reapply the primer black base. I have also been dealing with a few detail items.
5905B144-28F6-4C96-8203-1F5F0FEA07E2.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The ultra thin MRP paint really shows up the underlying pastic. When the paint catches the light in particular way you can see swirls from when the plastic was injected into the mold that normally you would not see. The good news is that it soon disappears once you apply varnish and is nothing to worry about. You can see a hint of that in outer sections of the left wing where the light catches it. You can also see shinier areas where cement has evaporated from. Again it will soon disappear.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been busy masking up to paint the markings.

I will be doing it in two sessions, first the walk lines and codes and then the national markings.

IMG_3138.jpg
here she is during the masking process. I realised as soon as I started checking on the fuse sides that I could not fit all the masks at once due to the proximity of some of the markings. Hence splitting the process. Though I have masked the upper wing roundels I wont be painting them until the second session.

Using masks does take a bit of time but the result is well worth it. The important thing is to burnish the edges of the mask with a cocktail stick to avoid paint 'creep'.

The camo colours are MRP133 - M485 Blue Grey upper and MRP134 - M495 Light Grey lower.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Codes and walk lines sprayed last night and thanks to the fast drying MRP I was able to carry on masking for the national insignia.
IMG_3142.jpg

I will finish masking these tonight and with any luck might finish the spraying.

I am using the following MRP colours:
MRP137 Jet Black
MRP135 Insignia White
MRP142 Orange Yellow
MRP124 Marking Blue
MRP123 Marking Red

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work Barry. You've achieved that faded look nicely

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The white areas sprayed

I will remask these - yellow next, then red on the flash and finally blue.

IMG_3143.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work Barry , the cockpit looks amazing . The trumpeter dauntless is widely acclaimed and your build only serves to echo that , it is a fantastic example of the kit makers art .The paint job is excellent and the sprayed on markings are going to really add to the finished look , looking forward to the next pics , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's looking super Barry, the roundels really have turned out well

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have applied the decal, only small details needed for these and applied two coats of MRP Gloss to seal and protect the paintwork. I have now also removed some of the masking. Next I will be applying washes, the AK Interactive enamel washes and oil brushers. These go down well on the solvent base with no risk of 'lifting' the varnish and paint.

here is how she looks now
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3153.jpg
IMG_3154.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
She is looking very nice Barry. Nicely aged and great job on the markings.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Not a lot to show. I have done some washes and then the first matt coat.

C1FE7362-1493-468E-899D-F1A210B68EA0.jpeg
So far so good. The washes bring out the panel lines while taking the edge off the paintwork so it looks less newly painted while also adding just a little bit of general grime.

Next I will be applying some pigments and general grime streaks. I find the latter more controllable over the first matt coat rather than the gloss. Once done I will do a second matt coat.

I hope to get more bench time Monday because tomorrow we are off ‘oop north’ to see some family for a couple of days. Have a great Easter everyone.