Tworrs 1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambusters

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Hi Garry, sorry, I actually meant what was it about the brushed paint finish that you weren't happy with - but thanks muchly for the notes on the fit, I'll keep that filed away for when I build one.
Compared to the finish that I get with the airbrush, my hairy stick effort came up wanting, although I'm sure that with more practice I would get better. :smiling2:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I think we all understand, and indeed appreciate, that it is only with the help and advice from the fine folk on this forum that we improve.
@AlanG kindly pointed out the patterning of the exhaust stains on the outer engines of the Lancaster, so a little judicious rubbing was applied..
Here is the result, which I hope is a little more true to type.
IMG_1388.jpeg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Garry that is one Beautiful Big Bird. Great finish on the build and the Camo. Oh and Congratulations winning the “Dogs” award. I’ve been looking at these Airfix bombers for a couple months now I’m thinking of getting one but a little nervous about the build.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Garry that is one Beautiful Big Bird. Great finish on the build and the Camo. Oh and Congratulations winning the “Dogs” award. I’ve been looking at these Airfix bombers for a couple months now I’m thinking of getting one but a little nervous about the build.
Thank you sop much for your kind comments.
Yeah I too was a bit apprehensive about tackling the big bird, but I'm to stupid to realise what I can't do, so I just get on with it and hope for the best ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Garry

That's very nicely done indeed! No complaints from me at all! I the non-dambuster version in the stash too, so nice to see what it can turn out like!

ATB

Andrew

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Garry

That's very nicely done indeed! No complaints from me at all! I the non-dambuster version in the stash too, so nice to see what it can turn out like!

ATB

Andrew
Thank you so much Andrew, that means a lot coming from you.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result Garry. :thumb2:

Regarding the Airfix Lancaster (Ordinary Version) anyone contemplating purchasing the kit had better be ready for a fight!
The one I'm building at the minute is a pig to build. I will complete it, but it is no pleasure to put together. Over engineered, very fiddly and messy......

The choice is with the modeller, but if you want to sleep at night, I would seriously suggest leaning towards the Revell offering. ( I have built it)

Last edited:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Compared to the finish that I get with the airbrush, my hairy stick effort came up wanting, although I'm sure that with more practice I would get better. :smiling2:

Well if that's your starting point then I'm sure you could - it looks great. There are things that can help with brush painting, thinning the paint as you would an airbrush, using matt paint (never brush satin or gloss paints if you can help it), using decent water based acrylics (I'd avoid the likes of Tamiya) and a wet palette. Using a good quality spray primer and clear coats.

There's also this thing about 'using the widest flat brush possible' and moving it in the direction of the airflow etc. etc. It works for some people to be sure - but I tend to use a smaller no 4 round tip brush, small amounts of paint at a time, and work it around to remove build ups.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Excellent result Garry. :thumb2:

Regarding the Airfix Lancaster (Ordinary Version) anyone contemplating purchasing the kit had better be ready for a fight!
The one I'm building at the minute is a pig to build. I will complete it, but it is no pleasure to put together. Over engineered, very fiddly and messy......

The choice is with the modeller, but if you want to sleep at night, I would seriously suggest leaning towards the Revell offering. ( I have built it)
Wow Ron, I can only imagine that Airfix have different moulds for the various versions then, as mine was not that bad. Of course you will tame the beast, it goes without saying.
Well if that's your starting point then I'm sure you could - it looks great. There are things that can help with brush painting, thinning the paint as you would an airbrush, using matt paint (never brush satin or gloss paints if you can help it), using decent water based acrylics (I'd avoid the likes of Tamiya) and a wet palette. Using a good quality spray primer and clear coats.

There's also this thing about 'using the widest flat brush possible' and moving it in the direction of the airflow etc. etc. It works for some people to be sure - but I tend to use a smaller no 4 round tip brush, small amounts of paint at a time, and work it around to remove build ups.
Very good advice Arnold, thank you.
I stick to Vallejo paints so that I can "master" one brand, as to brushes, fortunately I have a very good selection.
I think my mistake was attempting to freehand the camouflage, it would have been better to mask I reckon.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Wow Ron, I can only imagine that Airfix have different moulds for the various versions then, as mine was not that bad. Of course you will tame the beast, it goes without saying.

Very good advice Arnold, thank you.
I stick to Vallejo paints so that I can "master" one brand, as to brushes, fortunately I have a very good selection.
I think my mistake was attempting to freehand the camouflage, it would have been better to mask I reckon.

lol! I'm utter crap at masking so I've no advice there! :smiling2: