Universal carrier-forgotten relic. Link to finished model on first post.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
While still on with Dunkirk dio I have taken time out to do a little vignette entitled: 'FORGOTTEN RELIC'. This is a 1/35 Universal Carrier, battle damaged, stripped of hardware and just left in a field, it has been forgotten about for many decades and is just one rusty lump. It will housed on a board and various grasses etc growing around and in it.

A couple of early pictures showing model made up and rusting starting, as you can see there are still some bits to do but I wanted to try some various rust pigments and blends, needs some washes etc. The tracks are being painted and weathered and then added.

For the finished model please go HERE. Thanks.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 75580

View attachment 75581

DSCF2310.JPG

DSCF2304.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That looks so real you could just walk up to it and poke holes in the rust fantastic mate :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks Alan, it needs finishing off as the green is showing through in places, but trying to create that rust swirl pattern so some light washes over seem to be working. It seems to be coming out better than I expected for just pigments.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks David, rusting is almost as time consuming as making a normal painted model. It looks good, then it dries and you think...hmmmmmmmmmm, needs blending in or toning down.

Glad you like it.

First Name
Richard
Wow nice one Si,

that looks really realistic. is it gone go on a little vignette?

Cheers Richi

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Wow nice one Si,that looks really realistic. is it gone go on a little vignette?

Cheers Richi
Glad you like it Richi, have done a few more washes on it and added one track, the other is drying. I keep going back to it and messing lol. The overall rust looks good but I just cannot seem to leave alone! The board is just a 6x4'' MDF board, just plonked on that with grasses, flowers and a tree growing out if it that's it. I wanted it be like those old farm vehicles you sometimes see just left and rusty...but a UC.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Looking very good Si
Thank you Ian, it is getting there...if I ever stop playing around with it.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thank you Ian, it is getting there...if I ever stop playing around with it.Si:smiling3:
I think thats the knack to weathering and rusting a build, Knowing when to stop. I had the same problem as you when i did the Honda CB 750 in the motor bike GB

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I think thats the knack to weathering and rusting a build, Knowing when to stop. I had the same problem as you when i did the Honda CB 750 in the motor bike GB
I have tried to replicate the various 'rust blemish pattern' and have sorted the areas out that needed doing. Going to leave alone now or it could end up a mess, like you said Ian, knowing when to stop is the key.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Lovely job mate can't add anything else than cracking job :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Nice work Si.
Thanks Joe, glad you like it. I am hoping the rust patterns are beginning to look more natural.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
UPDATE:

Had a bit of any issue regarding sealing the rust pigments...I used matt varnish...DOH! Ended up with a brown mess. So, re-did the rust added greying rubber to the wheels and brown/green colour to the battered seat colours. Also have started the base and added some growth to the vehicle.

View attachment 75722

View attachment 75723

DSCF2327.JPG

DSCF2330.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Superb mate I think that dark rust really gives it a real feel to it , the overgrowth is really well done

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thank you Alan, once the board is dry I shall build up the grasses to encompass the wheels and fill in the gaps, then add some stalks and flowers.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Sounds great mate it's really coming together now :smiling3:
Yeah, home wood stretch, was toying with the idea of adding some olive drab in places but not sure.