Valerons ICM 1 35 Model T 1917 Ambulance

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very late to the party! Apologies. That's coming on very nicely!!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Mike.

One for the future…..A good way to cover a heavy colour like brown with white is to use an intermediate colour first. A coat or two of light grey (which covers much better than white) would make the white painting a lot less onerous.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Looking good Mike.

One for the future…..A good way to cover a heavy colour like brown with white is to use an intermediate colour first. A coat or two of light grey (which covers much better than white) would make the white painting a lot less onerous.
Thanks for that Tim. A simple solution but it never crossed my mind. And I have a couple of different light greys I could have used.

First Name
Bill
I have this model in my to do pile but I am very new to vehicle modelling.
A question if I may. Why don't all 4 wheels sit easily on the ground and how do you overcome this?

Cheers
Bill

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A question if I may. Why don't all 4 wheels sit easily on the ground and how do you overcome this?

Cheers
Bill
Hi Bill
With the three wheel effect it’s basically down to the way the manufacturers design the ladder chassis. You have separate side and cross members usually constructed with butt joints. As the glue dries the solvent welded joints shrink minutely, which introduces stress to the whole structure. The cumulative effect of that stress can pull the chassis out of true. It doesn’t happen every time, but is an occupational hazard when building trucks.

As to curing it, depends how patient you are. You can try gently twisting the completed chassis back, but I’ve only ever found that to be a temporary solution. It tends to twist again in time.

The long winded solution is to minimise the stress induced during the build. That will take a lot of time. Make all the joints on one side of the chassis, and then let them completely dry for a couple of days at least. Then make the middle two joints to the other side of the chassis and let them dry for that long again. Once you’ve done that, then finally make the last ones. The shrinkage should then be minimal, and minimal amounts of stress should be introduced.

I have used a very similar method when making soldered chassis for railway engines. The enemy of that type of construction is heat, which is obviously introduced during soldering, and can make chassis into bananas when they cool.

The principal is the same. Heat expands the material, and cooling shrinks it, introducing stress. Solvent Glue expands the material as it bonds, and then shrinks it as it evaporates.

Soldering is easy to sort out. Just drop the workpiece in a container of water at each stage to cool it. Personally I just don’t have the patience for all that drying time with glue though, so I live with it ;)

First Name
Bill
Thank you Tim for your very comprehensive answer.

Hope I haven't hijacked your thread Mike.

Cheers Bill

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm late but would like a seat please Mike.
Looking good.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark

Cheers
Bill
I build the main chassis frame then leave it to dry overnight with some weight on it to keep it flat.gives it a fighting chance.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I build the main chassis frame then leave it to dry overnight with some weight on it to keep it flat.gives it a fighting chance.
Good idea. Couldn’t do that with my Katy though, it didn’t have sufficient flat bits to press down upon. Curves away in all directions :sleeping2:

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've now done base painted the back cabin apart from the back door which will be left open on my model.

I've not actually glued it onto the chassis and I won't do this until I've added more detail, declals, washes etc to it.

20230113_121918.jpg

20230113_121924.jpg

ICM provide stretchers with this and I noticed that they stuck out of the back of the ambulance. I assumed they'd made a mistake and they were too long. Looking at few pictures online though it looks like they did stick out were covered by the canvas sheet would is provided by ICM and would roll down over the door.

20230113_122141.jpg

images.jpeg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Top work so far Mike. It's kind of funny that the stretcher hangs out a bit, I guess they couldn't make the body any longer or it would be back to the wheelie thing. White interior came out well too. Drive on Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Top work so far Mike. It's kind of funny that the stretcher hangs out a bit, I guess they couldn't make the body any longer or it would be back to the wheelie thing. White interior came out well too. Drive on Sir!!!

Prost
Allen
You’d like to think they put the casualties in head first though wouldn’t you Allen. Imagine travelling in that with you head hanging out the back covered by canvas……

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm enjoying this build, Mike,. I've just noticed that I haven't commented, only liked, sorry. I have been thinking about converting an Airfix 1/32 Model T Ford for my nurse.... might be biting off more than I can chew!
Carry on the good work sir!