Vercingetorix. A 1/10 Bust by Young Miniatures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4519.JPG

My next project will be this 1/10 Young Miniatures bust of Vercingetorix.

Vercingetorix was the leader of the Averni tribe, the last substantial body of Gauls to hold out against the Romans during Julius Caesar's campaigns in Gaul. They were finally cornered in the fortified town on Alesia, and defeated after a long and brutal siege in 52BC. Vercingetorix was taken to Rome in chains and eventually executed by strangulation in the amphitheatre in 46BC. Not surprisingly, he became an enduring figure of independence for the French, and is commemorated by an immense statue at the battle site, which is near modern day Auxerre.

Alise-Sainte-Reine_statue_Vercingetorix_par_Millet_2crop.jpg

The kit comes in six parts:

100_4520.JPG

All beautifully modelled and cast by Young B Song. Only a couple of small casting blocks needed to be removed:

100_4521.JPG

The one thing I'm not sure about are the helmet wings, which look more like a Victorian artist's idea of an ancient Gaul. I've read somewhere that helmets were sometimes decorated with raven's wings, so I will probably keep them, but have them angled more horizontally as shown. Here is a real winged helmet and a reference pic:

220px-KMM_-_Kriegergrab_Ciumesti_Helm_Kopie.jpga3f6b44d4aa110ed3f212fa7af5078dd.jpg

The other thing he'll need is a torque, which all Celtic men wore. This depiction is from a Roman sarcophagus:

warriorgoldtorc.jpg

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi peter

Hope you had a nice time in Lewes, I think you are quite right about the need for a torque, and am sure you will do this bust justice.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Completely knackered after a few days in Lewes thank you!

Jim - I was expecting Asterix a bit quicker than that!

Ralph - I'll do my best.

Joe - Who is this master? It certainly ain't me.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I will take a pew among the masses.Looks an interesting subject mate.Will watch with interest.
Richard.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - that is one of your best faces. This is turning into a cracking bust

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That face is cracker. Have you tweaked your technique slightly? It looks less contrasty somehow.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Thanks as always.

Peter - Glad you approve. A long way to go yet though....

Jim - Thank you. I struggled with this one, as I always do with Young Miniatures faces and I think that forced me to adapt my technique slightly. The various planes of the face were blended very smoothly by the sculptor which meant I had to use smoother tonal transitions. I've also run out of Black Red paint, which I've been using a lot in shadows, perhaps a bit too much lately, so that probably also explains a lot. I also spent a couple of hours really studying the work in the two Mil Mod Euro Militaire editions and must have been quite influenced by what I saw.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim and Steve - Of course, the fact that it's a superb sculpt is what helps it look more realistic.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Peter - that is one of your best faces. This is turning into a cracking bust
That's one of the most photo realistic faces you have done Peter. As Jim says keep doing whatever it is your doing :thumb2:

Morning Peter

All I can do is 2nd those comments, You really are pushing the bar up to the next level, whether due to a short supply of paint or not, it is certainly realistic.

Well done.

Foggy here and my AB is starting to play nicely, almost there.

I have a Young's bust on the bench, primed and ready to roll, your SBS has been down loaded and the brushes dusted off.

Looks like you are fully refreshed and back to it with some vim and vigour.

Have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I have to agree with what's been said already Peter that this is definitely one of your best faces to date.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I really think that people are responding as much to the sculpt here as my painting. I haven't done much that is different from my usual technique, but a good sculpt will always help paint itself. Excited to hear that you've got a bust on the bench - that's the way to go. Limited amount of bench time for me today as I have a few jobs to do in town - picking up my all singing all dancing new glasses is one - varifocal, reactolight, super light lenses etc etc.

Mick - Thank you, but as above really. Might be able to get the helmet done today.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Peter, I can only echo the comments on here already. This is definitely one of your best faces.
Now stop deflecting the praise on to the sculpt and just TAKE THE COMPLIMENT!
it's YOUR painting that's bringing out the personality and the mood
Respect!
Neil