Verlinden 1/5 British Redcoat American Revolution

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie and Jim - thank you.

Steve - Frosty and bright here. Worried that Storm Ciara may delay my wife's flight home from NZ, but hopefully it will have passed by mid next week (whether the US lets her through after having passed through Shanghai airport six weeks ago is another thing)..

On to the torso, and will take it slowly and enjoy the detail. I was troubled by the caricaturish nature of the head, but last night watched Andrew Graham-Dixon's first programme on German art and realised that it is very similar to the limewood sculptures of the C16th and therefore acceptable as an artistic representation!

Hope the painting goes well.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice hat Peter. I'm hunkering down for the storm. Should hit Plymouth tomorrow afternoon.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Nice job. Anychance of a photo with a coin or something to guage just how big it is?

peter

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Peter. I've added a picture with a 1/35 figure included for comparison. See above.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Don't know how I missed that one - it is a big lump of resin.

peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter. I added it after your request. Yes, it's big and quite heavy. That's the last 1/5 for a while - they've spoilt me with regard to the smaller scales, so on to the ICM Roman next.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
''I added it after your request" thank goodness for that - I thought fof the moment that I was losing it!

Peter

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - :thumb2:

Jason - Thanks. Verlinden also did a few 1/4 busts, but that's going too far I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Stuart
Exquisite work Peter and I can only admire your blending technique. Trying to crack on with Blondie Halser but making a bit of a pigs ear with his torso. Any chance of a UTube demo?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greeting Peter .
Sorry I missed the start, certainly massive compared to the 1/35, glad you did the comparison photo.
Do you have to work quicker on large areas due to paint drying, or do you add a retarder.

D

Deleted member 6559

Stuart - Thank you. I'm very camera-shy so no video I'm afraid, and anyway there are about a million videos out there by people much better than I. The only way to really get to grips with it is practice and working out a method that works for you.

John - I didn't find I had to work quicker, just make larger stokes, which seems obvious. In a way, I find painting drapery at this scale a bit easier as you can let the brush follow the folds in a natural way. I never use a retarder by the way, as it thins the paint too much.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Late im afraid Peter.Busy painting our stones all week and gathering more stones from beach.Run out of superlatives for your creations,Stunning doesnt come close mate.
Hope heads arent too manky i dug out.
Rich le rock.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - You're excused. There's a Robert Graves story about stones on a beach, adapted into the film 'The Shout' - bit different from what you're up to!

The heads are great thanks. Also found out that Reedees do some 200mm character heads:

hs-9-02.jpghs-09-01 Bald heads #1.JPG

Promptly ordered.

Lee - Many thanks.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great bust, awful weather!

No real damaging winds but heavy rain all night.

Looking forward to your legionnaire, hopefully no built and fit issues.

Have a good day with the glue and paint

Regards

Steve H