Verlinden 120mm USAAF Crewman 'Memphis Belle'

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Super leathers, I am sure it is more complicated to get that finish than your simple instructions?

Just the bits to do today, whatever will be next?

Good to hear you feel you have reached the road to recovery, however slowly it is the best direction to be going.

I take everyone else just bounced back, annoyingly!

I spent too much time yesterday cleaning the air brush!

I do need to remember Model colours don't like the Air brush, but I don't have any other black or white paint for the Spitfire!

Perhaps a little more today?

Have a good day, another bright one and warmer weather on the way

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

One reason I don't have an airbrush is that I know I wouldn't be able to look after it properly, or rather couldn't be bothered - shades of endlessly cleaning Rotring pens back at college. As for the patients, Katherine and Owen barely registered the CV, Naomi had slightly longer term effects, and it's only me that it's taken time to leave.

The leather really was quite simple to do, as are most colours that require a dark ground - much easier working dark to light than vice versa. Should get the figure finished today as there's only the oxygen mask, hands and parachute to do. I'm trying to decide what to do about the stitching on the harness - I think I'll have to practice with various methods to see if I can get a clean enough job.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Enjoyable to watch as always, Peter.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice finish and an attractive palette. I wonder if you can find a nice complimentary cool colour to make that leather really pop.

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Jack - Many thanks for looking in.

John - I think the equipment has added a few touches of colour. Glad you approve.

Scottie - Many thanks that man.

D

Deleted member 6559

This one is finished:

100_7022.JPG100_7019.JPG100_7020.JPG100_7021.JPG

The camera is still making the leather too red, but if I adjust it too much it bleaches out the other warm colours. Hopefully you'll get the idea.

Today I added the extras, which included the oxygen mask, hands and parachute. I used the tubing provided for the oxygen tube, and the copper wire for the headset lead. I then added jacks to the ends of the leads and made a strap for the mask. The lettering on the parachute and life-vest is a mix of 1/35 ammo box decals and the manufacturer's serial numbers found at the bottom of decal sheets. I was also pleased to find an 8th Air Force arm patch on a set of Peddinghaus US Army decals.

I decided to use the sticker on the base, as I was feeling lazy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Once again you've excelled - can't remember one of yours I've liked better. I said at the beginning that the detail and leather would test you and I'm sure it did but the result is superb. I actually like the base.
Hope you shake the remains of this horrible virus soon.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Many thanks, glad you like him.

Jim - Very pleased that you approve. It was complicated to do, but I've recently realised that if I ''keep calm and paint'' something will work out. It's certainly reminded me of how fine resin sculpts can be.

As far as the illness goes, I'm still having chest problems, but I'm so fed up with it all that I'm going to try and force the issue and try and act as normally as possible - kill or cure!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: I know each time you finish a figure many of us say your best ever, again it seams to me you have really pushed the level up a notch yet again.
Great job Peter.

Hope you recovery quickly, regards to the family.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Very kind words. Thank you.

Neil - Many thanks to you too.

Scottie - Glad you like him.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Wonderful finish on the figure with all the complex details and such a broad palette of light colours too.

Well Done.

A cabinet front and centre piece, but what do you move to fit it in?

That is the difficult decision for today LOL

What next, did you get more than one resin figure?

Seems like you will have an interesting day, and take it easy, its a long road back to full recovery, just a day at a time, and a good mantra to have

""Keep calm and Paint"", it will probably be on a mug somewhere in the world.

I shall try some more AB work today as its becoming somewhat addictive once you get over the basics and start to get the paint to flow.

I stepped back up to a .20 mm needle which has made the difference, I just need to get used to masking.

Have a good day, gently, gently does it and enjoy the sun, though the West wind is a cold one

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - Thanks for looking in.

Steve - I think my group of Trumpeter Russians will be the one to go into storage:

100_3335.JPG

They take up quite a lot of room. Next up, some more resin Americans. As for '' keep calm and paint'' it's taken me a long time to realise that the panic stage is usually just temporary when painting a figure - I'm also quite lazy and am often daunted by the effort that will be required to lick these things into shape. Sunny, but with a cold East wind here - may try and get out for a walk today. Have AB fun.