Weathering practice, look away its not good lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very, very rusty when it comes to weathering so had a tammy Panther so primed and added tri camo, ignore the wrong decals lol

Applied Vallejo gloss varnish but it did not cover very well at all, more matt than gloss as its old can only think it went wonky!"! Did give it a big shake.

Carried out a pin wash and had a go at chipping with both a sponge and brush, not happy, about 50% ok or so I think.

Around the driver and radio guys hatches is terrible, sorry!
ebay may 19 4 012.JPG
ebay may 19 4 013.JPG
ebay may 19 4 014.JPG
ebay may 19 4 015.JPG
ebay may 19 4 016.JPG

I sure need much more practice, would appreciate feedback, went over board in over board as as well

Hands up, not good

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nowt wrong with that

get some matt coat on it and it will look great

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Your kind words surprise me!! Its due a matt coat (by chance new bottle arrived today) prior to first go at filters

Thank you both

Bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks pretty good Bob. Only suggestion I could give is to put a spot of darker brown in the middle of some of the biggest rust chips. This will help them look a little more “3D” in nature.....

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Don’t be surprised Bob, looks good so far:thumb2:
If your doing filters and washes etc everything should start to tone down and come together.

Top tip I remember being given was to think about where chipping would occur on a vehicle like edges and corners or areas that would see a lot of crew traffic as the clambered in and out.

The best tip I was given was ‘less is more’. Subtle, restrained weathering quite often looks better then over the top stuff

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Both

I am really surprised ref the comments!

Compared to other models it looks not to good, will try that Tim before i matt varnish

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Si, good advice and thanks!
Got to practice a lot more lol

Bob

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Chipping is an art Bob and it takes a few attempts to master. You are certainly on the right road as it is a fine first attempt. Si gave me advice when I first started and he is dead right - less is more. One small tip for sponge chipping is don't press hard with the sponge as this prevents a central blob with chips around it and instead creates smaller, more clustered chips. Also rotate the sponge as you go to avoid the same pattern of chips coming out. Any way, more importantly - that camo! Awesome work my friend. It certainly is turning into a top notch Panther. Keep up the great work mate.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Tim, Si's advice well noted!

Thanks Chris, appreciated!
Hi Paintguy, very kind of you, makes a old fart happy lol

Thanks very much Peter, appreciated

Good evening Steve great advice and no doubt hard earned!!! Glad the camo looks ok, like using a airbrush.

I am writing up a list of what to do and when. One thing i find is not many books tell you what varnish goes with what method ie rust streaks with satin etc. Should organise my builds better!

I have FAQ2 which to be fair takes you right through from how to and what varnish works the best

Thanks again bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
wrong button arghh

stug 1 003.JPG
stug 1 004.JPG

not sure if its under or over done or just cr+p !!!

all new to me

found some hairs on it, from my ginger moggie, swine!!

Would appreciate feedback again please, noted the filter faded the colours toned down some of the scratches and it now has a well worn and tired look, at least that's what I think??

bob

D

Deleted member 6559

Bob - I think that's a brilliant job. Very realistic and convincingly like chipped steel. Keep doing what you're doing.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Many thanks Peter and Al

First time i have used filters and oils so not sure if they looked ok, so delighted that i used them correctly! Thank god for that lol. Will leave to dry then add mud