Welcome to Papa695's Bi plane GB. Chat thread

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, I'm going to do some more biplane compare/contrast sets, now I'm in the right place this time!

First up, the Avro 504K from Airfix and Amodel. One of these will be converted to a 504N, when I get to building them!
FirIMG_2433.JPGF

IMG_2434.JPGIMG_2435.JPGIMG_2437.JPG
AS you can see, the parts are practically identical, even to Amodel copying the one piece struts, which is STILL as damn good idea!

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Here we go, Hawker Furies! Shiny!
IMG_2443.JPGIMG_2446.JPGIMG_2447.JPGIMG_2448.JPG
Honestly, the Matchbox one (still available from Revell with different squadron markings) still holds it's own, though the Amodel has more options. Plus the usual Amodel difficulties
So, at siome stage I should end up with a Mk.I, a Mk.II and the High-Speed Fury. The latter will be an exercise in shininess shades! You may not I've been testing stuff on the Matchbox cowling, and this before my Alclad troubles...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Finally, and yes, I do have too many RAF silver wings kits, and there's still a few I'm looking for!
Some of them don't exist as kits though...
AZ Hind and Amodel Hart
IMG_2449.JPGIMG_2450.JPGIMG_2451.JPGIMG_2452.JPG
AZ do a slew of Harts, mostly, as you can see from the sprues, the foreign service radial jobs. Just from prior experience, I think I'll prefer the AZ kit. It also has the nice little etch sheet
I'm trying to get another, different, AZ hart, to do the trainer, as long as that works out cheaper than the Kora resin job. Also, I'm after their Audax, with a view to convert to a Hardy. I have the Aeroclub Audax, which, for it's age and 'limited-ness' is a nice little kit
We may see an Audax compare later

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Right, last ones, showing a difference of twenty-plus years (maybe more) between kits
DH9As
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2439.JPGIMG_2440.JPGIMG_2441.JPGIMG_2442.JPG
For a long time , the Maquette R-1 copy of the Ninak was the only way to build the 'plane, other than the Blue Rider conversion for the Airfix DH4. I mean, no-one was going to do a NEW Ninak!
Kovazovody Prostejov do FOUR (maybe more?) different ones, including this which has the EXACT markings I want to do (A 601 machine based at Hendon)
One of these will end up as a Middle east machine, with spare wheels and other accoutrements

As Vic Reeves would put it, the R-1 wing 'is slightly rippled with a flat underside'

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rigging thread. I have four reels of mylar rigging thread. The THICKEST is lablede as being suitable for 1/350 - 1/200 scale ships....
What size would you guys consider a good size for 1/48 scale things...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, not sure what the actual sizes you have are, so here’s a mathematical work up.
If the thread is measured in thousanths of an inch, ten thou is equivalent to about 0.25mm. This scales out at 12mm in 1/48. I remember the Sopwith pup rigging at the army air museum to be about 6mm, so go finer than that if you can……

Im intending to use ezeline fine for my build, by the way.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Blimey, here's a serious question
With all the frustration I've had with the Hector, I'm thinking I should try and get myself a building rig / jig. Or put one together out of Lego (of which I have a fair amount).

When I've searched for a biplane building jig, one that keeps coming up says it covers 1/144 to 1/24 but is 'optimised' for 1/32. Methinks a Wingnut influence and may probably be a bit huge for my needs. The only other one I've found is a, very expensive, bracket that fits another rig
So, any pointers or recommendations from anyone?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blimey, here's a serious question
With all the frustration I've had with the Hector, I'm thinking I should try and get myself a building rig / jig. Or put one together out of Lego (of which I have a fair amount).

When I've searched for a biplane building jig, one that keeps coming up says it covers 1/144 to 1/24 but is 'optimised' for 1/32. Methinks a Wingnut influence and may probably be a bit huge for my needs. The only other one I've found is a, very expensive, bracket that fits another rig
So, any pointers or recommendations from anyone?
Might be worth looking for a 3D printed one. I think I’ve seen some when browsing on some of the sites.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I did print one out
jig.JPG
This is more or less optimised for 1/48 - I've found it's more a painting jig. To make it work more as a jig, there would have to be clamps, rather than the model just resting on pads. If you're sticking to 1/72, maybe one of these
helping hands.jpg
' Helping Hands ' designed for soldering wires - loads available on ebay
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I did print one out
View attachment 501822
This is more or less optimised for 1/48 - I've found it's more a painting jig. To make it work more as a jig, there would have to be clamps, rather than the model just resting on pads. If you're sticking to 1/72, maybe one of these
View attachment 501823
' Helping Hands ' designed for soldering wires - loads available on ebay
Dave
Knew I’d seen one somewhere before….do they make a biplane version?
The helping hands work well for decaling small birds in 1/48, just have to remember to pad the jaws out to stop scratching. I‘m sure I’ll use mine for rigging the green and purple whale as well.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Dave and Tim, thanks for those. I've got a helping hands, the magnifier of which is a permanent fixture of my workspace

What I'm after tho' is something that will hold while I put the top wing on, and slide in all the struts. Especially with the pain the Amodel stuff is causing me!
Y'know, they practically copied the Airfix kit for their Avro 504, with the main struts joined by a top bar that slotted into the top wing and keeps the struts at the right angle, but could they not have done that with their other kits?

Oh nooo
Bloody Russians...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dave and Tim, thanks for those. I've got a helping hands, the magnifier of which is a permanent fixture of my workspace

What I'm after tho' is something that will hold while I put the top wing on, and slide in all the struts. Especially with the pain the Amodel stuff is causing me!
Y'know, they practically copied the Airfix kit for their Avro 504, with the main struts joined by a top bar that slotted into the top wing and keeps the struts at the right angle, but could they not have done that with their other kits?

Oh nooo
Bloody Russians...
Blue tack? I used it when I built a Nieuport a few years ago. It’s not ideal, but better than trying to find four hands.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I enjoyed being part of this very popular group build but it was over a bit too soon for me, so I have this on its way from John:

1000006681.jpg

A much simpler build than the Swordfish but I like the stubby looks and the skis are a bit different.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I enjoyed being part of this very popular group build but it was over a bit too soon for me, so I have this on its way from John:

View attachment 502360

A much simpler build than the Swordfish but I like the stubby looks and the skis are a bit different.
Looks like she’s been fitted with prosthetic limbs Andy. Interesting build though.