Welcome to Papa695's Bi plane GB. Chat thread

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Had a rough past couple of weeks, but with the new year and Ian's GB starting in 45 minutes, my time, I'll be going with this wing thingy for it...

View attachment 498758.Rigging isn't as bad as you think it is, you just need to drink a beer or two when you do it!!! Calms the nerves................

Prost
Allen

Mr Dewire my good man..... Unfortunately I do not drink..... Never have done..... Never acquired the taste for it..... Can you therefore suggest something else to calm ones rigging nerves?!?!:cold-sweat:;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Happy New Year to you and yours, young Andrew,

Of course there are other ways to rig your thing. Chris has given you a few, and the ones I still have could be illegal or fattening. Understanding that, the easiest way, in your scale, for you would be forget turnbuckles and use something with a bit of elasticity to do so.

Whether you paint first and then assemble the wings or assemble first and then paint, is up to you my friend. I would pre-drill little holes in the rigging points and when the time comes to rig, attach them to the hardest to get to places first. Then attach the other ends to their connection points to finish the job. I suggest you study the destructions very carefully to determine the best way to do it and/or to see where the problem points could be.

You are a talented modeller and should have no troubles at all. Of course, saying that, be sure to have the lid off the swear jar and young folks out of earshot when you rig it!!! Lastly, a deep breath before you dab the CA on the rigging helps too Buddy...

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I looked in the box for my victim. Then the box then the content again 'yeps 1/48 scale' says so on top. Looks a plastic 'I thing Airfix made a boo-boo and put a 1/72 in the box just to mess with me.
It's tiny....

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I looked in the box for my victim. Then the box then the content again 'yeps 1/48 scale' says so on top. Looks a plastic 'I thing Airfix made a boo-boo and put a 1/72 in the box just to mess with me.
It's tiny....
Just warm it up and stretch it to 1/48 Ian.
But really bad on Airfix.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wish to take part but was needing some guidance about what makes a biplane. I do have some traditional biplanes but was wondering if a plane with a single large wing and canards would be allowed. The specific plane I would like to build is the Avis Mig-8 but I realise that I could be stretching things a bit! I am happy with what ever decision is made about the Mig-8. If it is not allowed then I will build one of my oldies - an Airfix 1/72 Airco DH4 1918 (01079).

Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I wish to take part but was needing some guidance about what makes a biplane. I do have some traditional biplanes but was wondering if a plane with a single large wing and canards would be allowed. The specific plane I would like to build is the Avis Mig-8 but I realise that I could be stretching things a bit! I am happy with what ever decision is made about the Mig-8. If it is not allowed then I will build one of my oldies - an Airfix 1/72 Airco DH4 1918 (01079).

Dave
Sorry Dave the Mig8 isn’t a true bi-plane, but please join in with the DH4.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay since our local Arab GB has been moved to September, I'll try to insert a biplane build if I may. The victim is a Matchbox Siskin...
IMG_20240105_114204.jpg
I believe Dave has built this and posted here once before. I'll try not to make a hash if it and keep it stock standard with as little mods if possible.

Cheers,
Wabble

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Okay since our local Arab GB has been moved to September, I'll try to insert a biplane build if I may. The victim is a Matchbox Siskin...
View attachment 499107
I believe Dave has built this and posted here once before. I'll try not to make a hash if it and keep it stock standard with as little mods if possible.

Cheers,
Wabble
Someone has a good memory! I built one in 2018, the year I joined the forum!
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
View attachment 499107

Cheers,
Wabble
Thanks for joining in Richard.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 499107

Cheers,
Wabble
Vintage Matchbox - brilliant.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I was wondering what the most elegant of biplanes was, I thought Beech Staggerwing, or Pitts Special, but I remembered this
fairey_fantome_1.jpgfantome.jpg
Fairey Fantome ( or Feroce ) designed for the Belgian airforce - there were four produced. but in the mid/late 1930's, the monoplane fighter was obviously the way forward, and it didn't progress any further.
There was a resin model of this last century, but thats it!
Dave

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The wings must detach, surely? What do we reckon, about 1/6 scale?
The R.VI has been a favourite of mine since it appeared in an episode of Charlie's War, and drawn by Joe Colqhoun. I did get a vac-form to build, back in the day, which I've since eBayed, and I got the Puttnams Giant German Aircraft book too. So many of the Riesenflugzeug look like Miyazaki-san of Studio Ghibli designed them!

Hmm, is the Roden 1/144 job still available? Must. Not. Buy. Another. Kit!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I was wondering what the most elegant of biplanes was, I thought Beech Staggerwing, or Pitts Special, but I remembered this
View attachment 499131View attachment 499132
Fairey Fantome ( or Feroce ) designed for the Belgian airforce - there were four produced. but in the mid/late 1930's, the monoplane fighter was obviously the way forward, and it didn't progress any further.
There was a resin model of this last century, but thats it!
Dave
Is it me or has it got the look of a spitfire about it? The fuselage especially and the lower wing!!