Welcome to Papa695's Bi plane GB. Chat thread

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Don't pay attention to what others say, Doug...I too see a Spitfire shape in the fuselage and was about to comment but forgot.

Cheers,
Wabble

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Any Spitfire / Fantome alikeness is, of course, purely coincidental, as it's too different, competing companies, Fairey and Vickers Supermarine, and three years apart...
Unless... Industrial espionage? Or, as happens with aircraft more often than many realise, that two 'planes for the same role look alike...
Oh, wait, NOW I can see it...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, as Richard (rtfoe) is doing an, excellent, build of the Matchbox Siskin IIIA, thought I'd put in a quick compare and contrast job.
IMG_2421.JPG
Kora recently put out a single and trainer twin-seat job, so I had to have the DC, as I already had the Matchbox and a spare with a replacement fuselage to do the earlier III (quote 'No A, B, C or D.')
IMG_2417.JPG
Not much difference in surface detail. Unfortunately, the III fuselage is almost invisible. It's a single piece, so not much scope for superdetailing the interior. Though, judging by Richard's work, he could do something amazing there!
IMG_2418.JPG
So, a bit of side-frame stuff in the Kora, and there's 2 seats, two sticks, two floors (for single seater included), but, as with too many short-run and other, kits, no locating pins!
IMG_2419.JPG
The Kora wings ar ea little more subtle in surface detail but the Matchbox is nearly FIFTY!
IMG_2420.JPG
So, how much do you really need a resin engine?
IMG_2422.JPG
The Matchbox transfers still look pretty good, though whether I use the thirty squadron ones is unlikely. I'm trying to do all my RAF silver wings in 'First in service' markings, so the 56 Squadron red-chequers on the DC might not be used either. And I already have a Sopwith Snipe in 56 markings, as they were the first to put on colourful post-WW1 markings

So there we go

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Whoops!
Apologies to all, but this SHOULD really have gone as a post to the chat thread, rather than a 'build' post!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Whoops!
Apologies to all, but this SHOULD really have gone as a post to the chat thread, rather than a 'build' post!
No, this is good as it lets us know what is about in case we have not made a choice. I believe there are at least three Gladiators dating back from the Roden one through to a Merit offering which today would be a case of masochistic modeling when you have a better choice.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
No, this is good as it lets us know what is about in case we have not made a choice. I believe there are at least three Gladiators dating back from the Roden one through to a Merit offering which today would be a case of masochistic modeling when you have a better choice.
Merit, Inpact/Pyro (now from Lindberg), Monogram 1/48 Gladiators? Just off the top of my head

Maybe, MAYBE one day Airfix will do the long rumoured/wishful thinking 1/24 one!

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
While I'm here, I've been trying to find if there was ever a 1/72 kit of the Avro Aldershot
It's an obscure beast, only served with 99 Squadron for 2 years, but was the first bomber designed and in service with the RAF post WWI

I've assumed there was likely a vac form back in the day, but It's invisible on the Net

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Yeah, thing about those 'kiln wood' models, they never have a scale
And yhey never show a photo of the actual item

That and the prices are VERY high, if you don't know quite what you're getting

Interestingly, my eBay search didn't find that at all

Also, you'd think the Aldershot would have a little more recognition, being one of the earliest designs by Roy Chadwick, later of Lancaster and Vulcan design work...
Now THERE would be a triple kit box-set from Airfix!
Somewhere in the Multiverse. Earth 141

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As I have been enjoying building the rather old Airfix 1/72 Airco DH4 1918 (01079), I decided to build a companion for it, namely the Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup (01062-1):
Sopwith_Pup_72_2024_SM_GB_001.JPG

Build thread is here.

Dave

Last edited: