What Manufacturer to Buy ?

First Name
Gary
I've decided to return to model making after many years and boy have things changed. I built almost every aircraft there was when i was a teenager and most of the ships. Now I need a hobby to spend happy hours concentrating on a task. I dont have the space for many aircraft anymore but do have a few shelves where a ship or two could sit. To be honest my main motivation is the build, like a jigsaw, the doing is more important to me than the finished product. Although the latter is still important. I have the time and the inclination to take it steady and do things right.

Which leads to the main question. I get different responses from the couple of model shops I've visted about quality. I dont want something simple but models with a degree of compelexity even if thats more to do with number of parts. The question of qulaity is more to do with well made components as I hear that some models, Airfix, are made with old moulds and can be messy to assemble. I dont mind paying a reasonable premium for quality models and as I have said really looking for somethong involving.

My preference is for war ships and WWI or II aircraft. So any advice of the manufacturers to go for would be appreciated

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

Personally to make a start. Tamiya, great moldings, fair price, great to build and plans to die for. I also build a lot of Dragon, great detailed kits, can be complex but annoying plans

other kits are available

bob

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
one question would be - what scale would you want? 1/700, 1/350 or 1/200 are the most common ship scales. 1/72,1/48 & 1/32 for aircraft. Obviously the answer depends on 'how much room do I have? & how big would I like the model to be?'
If you can answer that, then you can start to narrow the field down - some manufacturers concentrate on one scale, others across the range.
Another question is - how much do you want to spend? You can range from not a lot to several hundred pounds!!
Some manufacturers DO use old moulds, but research on the internet can generally find that out.
If you can give an answer to these questions, then post again, and I'm sure that you will get a lot of pointers! ( Then again, individual tastes & biases, mean that you'll get many different answers! )
Dave

First Name
Gary
Thanks Bob and Dave. I'm familiar with Tamiya name but not Dragon so I'll check that out. Thinking of a couple of aircraft to get my hand it and then go for a nice ship. Battleship , criuser or similar. In terms of scale i see a lot of 1/72 for aircraft and 1/700 for ships but I also see 1/48 and 1/350 for those. I guess I need to check out the actual size when built first.
Budget is up to £100 I guess for the "big" projects and anything from £20 - 50 for others.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Find a kit you like. Find out it's history on Scalemates. That way you'll know if it's an old mould just re-boxed to look 'modern'

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Find a kit you like. Find out it's history on Scalemates. That way you'll know if it's an old mould just re-boxed to look 'modern'
To add to the above: after you find one you think you like, ask about it on here. People will likely be able to tell you its good and bad points, or probably at least those of the manufacturer if nobody has hands-on experience with the actual kit you’ve got your eye on.

First Name
Gary
Great idea Jakko.

I'm sure its unfair on Airfix and Revel but I do like what I hear about Tamiya models. Bit more expensive but not excessively so and get great reviews for quality.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Airfix is a mixed bag. Their old (old old) kits are nowhere near modern standards — no surprise, some are 50+ years old — and usually need a fair amount of work to get reasonable fit. Their modern kits are really good for the most part, but you may have odd fit issues caused by things like very tall ejection pin marks (that are then easy to solve by cutting those off, once you’ve figured out where the issue comes from). Their medium-old kits are somewhere in between :smiling3: Revell is much the same, in my experience.

On the other hand, Italeri for example tends to not be outstanding in either direction, which is good (no really bad kits) but also bad (no really good kits either) :smiling3:

First Name
Gary
I'm still amazed how many manufacturers there are. Certainly when I was in my teens there were only two of note. Airfix and Revel. And Revel were seen as a brash American newcomer. Everything I built back then were Airfix but I'm talking mid 60's....thats 1960's :flushed:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
To be honest about manufacturers. Depending on the kit you choose (ship, aircraft, armour) could depend on how good it is. I'm building a Tamiya armour kit at the moment. It's way old and basic. Certainly not up to modern (Dragon/Meng etc) standards. Ship wise i have no idea sorry. A few guys on here know far more about that area of models.
Aircraft wise if you could manage 1/48 scale then Eduard and Tamiya are generally a good manufacturer to go with. But some of the Eastern European kit makers such as ICM and Zvezda are pumping out great little kits too at really good cheap prices.

First Name
Gary
1/48 for aircraft is doable. certainly the more detailed parts on the larger models appeals. Having a quick scan of the internet and the likes of Tamiya, Dragon, Trumpeter seem quite strong. But I'll due my research and check out Meng na dthe eastern Euro ones. Quite like the Trumpeter 1/350 Queen Elizabeth WWII ship but for aircraft I do like the twin engine bomber/fighters. So lots to pick from...damn it ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
WWI aircraft - 1/72 is a bit small for these delicate aircraft - I'd suggest 1/48, much easier to handle. Eduard produce a range of WWI 1/48 aircraft, that go together well, and look good! If your pockets are deeper, Wingnut Wings make a range of 1/32 WWI planes, that are of the highest quality..................
WWII aircraft - the planes are a bit bigger, so 1/72 is feasible, but 1/48 would still be my favourite. There's a whole host of makers out there. Tamiya 1/48 fall together, maybe not as detailed as others, but usually trouble free builds.
As in all purchases, do your research before parting with your pennies! Reviews can be very helpful, but bear in mind they may not be wholly subjective..................
The US Revell is no more, all their assets now reside with Revell Germany, they produce a wide range of models, with a wide range of quality! They DO rebox other makers models under their own name - again, research, - Scalemates is always my first stop.
I can also recommend looking at past builds on this forum. You will see a lot of 'inbox' reviews on other sites which means that the parts are looked at & commented on, but nothing about how the model goes together!!
Dave

First Name
Gary
I'll do that thanks Dave. I think 1/48 would be my prefered choice for aircraft so I'll check thos eout and as you suggest check the reviews here

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
You might want to check out ICM & Zvezda - one Ukrainian, the other Russian. ICM produce some fabulous 1/48 aircraft, like the Ju88 & Heinkel HeIII. They produce the best model I have ever made ( in 50 odd years ) in the 1/48 Mig-25RBT
Zvezda have a limited 1/48 range, but their Lavochkin La-5FN is a real beauty..............
Dave

First Name
Gary
Do they stock in the UK ? I noticed that Eduard is in Czeh R. But in any case it's fun researching all of this.

Which ICM JU88 and Heinkel were you thinking of Dave ? I like the look of the Dornier as well. I think one of those 3 will be my first foray.

Quick question on paints. i guess I can check colours from the box and then refer to the shop. Does anyone do a general paint kit/collection of the more common paints or is it just buy as you need ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gary. Any of the ICM Ju88, He111 or Do215 kits are great. Choice is yours.

Paint wise Vallejo and Ammo do box sets of German and Allied WWII colours (Acrylic paints). Other then that i tend to buy as i need. There is a thread in the Paint Section that gives you places to go for paint conversions between the different manufacturers.

Using the Scale Model Shop shop (above in banner) also gives you all you need kits, weathering, paints wise and because you are a member, a 5% discount ;)

First Name
Gary
I'm all excited now. Those Ju88's look superb I might well go for one and a Dornier.... I do like my twin engine planes. I'll buy a box set of paints and think about what colours to use. Helps that my daughter is a professional artist for colour mixing help should I need it.

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Gary and welcome.
For ships try flyhawk models.They are stunning kits mainly 1/700 and come as standard(no etch) or deluxe(with etch).
You can get them at Starling Models.