What ship first. A poll!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL some one said hood was more of a sub as they called it a wet ship but you get hundred ft waves coming at you an the ship is bound to go under an then they pray that it comes back up as my uncle was on a small carrier in the war an he said it was like the end of the world as well as bein seasick
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hood was like that due to its design flaws Chris.
Light armour at build + more armour added later = the navy’s biggest submarine.
She had very little freeboard so was wet in any sea, and her batteries could not be used except in dead calm. She looked great though.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
as a historical snippet.
On the 1st May 1942 whilst distant shadowing 2 Russian convoys KGV was involved in a collision with the destroyer Punjabi, the Punjabi sank and the exploding depth charges damaged KGV and put her out of action for several months.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hood was a lovely looking ship, alongside Scharnhorst, Tiger, Bismarck and my favorite Roma in my opinion of course!

My mums uncle served on Hood in the late 1930's before moving to cruisers, lucky move, sadly he died when i was about 7, would have loved to have spoken to him and my mum said he had a big photo album which vanished.

Watch the Drach video on YT about her loss, not a plunging shell but what seems a lucky hit helped by the wave from the bow at high speed exposing her side allowing a 15 inch shell to explode in the 4.5 magazine which then took out the 15 inch magazine!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The real problem Bob was that she looked like a battleship, so the RN used her like a battleship. In reality she was a stupidly large light cruiser with Battleship guns and simply shouldn’t have been in the line of battle. The ultimate result of that design idea was the Courageous (called outrageous) class ships. They were so lightly built that one of them buckled in high seas during trials..... they had 18” guns though!

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Tim, according to the video she was well protected but way overdue a major refit, if you have 40 mins, but on the kettle and have a butchers. I am no expert but he does not blame her just a lucky hit?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll look out for it, sounds interesting. Regarding protection, she wasn’t up to snuff. Her belt was appreciably thinner than contemporary ships like Prince of Wales. Six to twelve inches in her case, but fifteen inches throughout for PoW, yet she was expected to stand in the same battle line against Bismarck.

First Name
Carl
If your ordering wood decking hope you have more luck than I did. Only supplier I could find was China with delivery for March so I guess ill have a lot of time to study the ship before building.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If your ordering wood decking hope you have more luck than I did. Only supplier I could find was China with delivery for March so I guess ill have a lot of time to study the ship before building.
A wooden deck isba rare thing and not cheap. Be wary of China at the moment because of VAT, i have seen a few French sellers on ebay charging 20%, does anybody know if VAT is now charged on stuff from China???

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure if a wooden deck is strictly necessary is it! They must raise the deck top appreciably, ruining the appearance at the railing edge, and cause all sorts of issues with the deck fittings. Even if they are only one millimetre thick they will add twelve inches to the height of the deck. They are not necessarily the right colour either.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Not sure if a wooden deck is strictly necessary is it! They must raise the deck top appreciably, ruining the appearance at the railing edge, and cause all sorts of issues with the deck fittings. Even if they are only one millimetre thick they will add twelve inches to the height of the deck. They are not necessarily the right colour either.
WELL Tim i was thinkin the same thing an i think if Bob just paints the decks it will look just as good in my opioion but the metal guns barrells would set the model off
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
To use the wood decks properly, you have to remove all the moulded detail - like the 'planking', and make a flat surface. A lot of these AM products are self adhesive. The thickness is about 0.25mm, so in 1/350 about 87mm, or just over 3" - they can be tricky to apply.
I used the Artwox Model set for the Revell Emden - made a real mess of it & worst of all ruined the surface finish of the wood, defeating the whole object of it! Not one of my best moments!!! Never did finish it! I sourced it from China - it cost about the same as the base model, I remember.
They can look superb, but take a lot work to fit - not, I think for a beginner!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Can’t help thinking a decal might do the job just as well In the smaller scales Dave. 1/200 and above, yes I can see the point, but not at 1/350 or below.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Tim, perhaps one for the future??
WELL Tim i was thinkin the same thing an i think if Bob just paints the decks it will look just as good in my opioion but the metal guns barrells would set the model off
chris
Will paint the deck, good practice, i hope

To use the wood decks properly, you have to remove all the moulded detail - like the 'planking', and make a flat surface. A lot of these AM products are self adhesive. The thickness is about 0.25mm, so in 1/350 about 87mm, or just over 3" - they can be tricky to apply.
I used the Artwox Model set for the Revell Emden - made a real mess of it & worst of all ruined the surface finish of the wood, defeating the whole object of it! Not one of my best moments!!! Never did finish it! I sourced it from China - it cost about the same as the base model, I remember.
They can look superb, but take a lot work to fit - not, I think for a beginner!
Dave
Sound advice Dave, wondered how they fixed in place! No doubt loads of practice and headache tablets lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for not voting Bob, I missed the bit about being on a 'timer' :upside: KG5 is a good choice. I built the Tamiya one and it's a nice kit.

To digress a tad. I agree totally with Tim regarding so called 'Wood decks' I have yet to see one that truly passes muster. On all, the deck fittings sink below the veneer, only a smidgen, but it is still plain to see and leaves minute gaps all around them. The planking is usually way off scale in width and the caulking is far too defined. On most scales, smaller than possibly 1/72, these should be all but invisible on the model. The colour is usually wrong too. On some, the plywood grain the deck is 'printed' on is clearly visible. The outer railing edge is also ruined.

The original deck is fine. A far better, and more realistic job can be achieved painting the plastic deck than sticking one on.

I realise members will possibly disagree with the above comments, fair enough, that's fine - But my eyes can't tell lies.

Your model, your choice. ;)

Either way, I'm looking forward to the build.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA I AGGREE WITH 570 an tim i might be able to get away with it on my tiger but my deck is metal an painted green so i wont bother an save dosh so paint the deck Bob

First Name
Carl
Sounds like I might not be using the wood decking then. It cost £20 but I must admit I had wondered how it might fit it or look around other deck features. Maybe I’ll end up doing a similar airbrush paint job that I did on my previous Queen Mary which worked Fine.
as my dad always says, it’s only money, you can’t take it with you..

First Name
Carl
The deck on your QM looked spot on to me. Why spend money on something that will still need work and may not look so good?
I guess I didn’t do my due diligence this time.
sometimes the moment of seeing something I have not tried before and the idea that it could look much more realistic blinds me. You live and you learn I guess.