What to build that takes time.

K

Keithmayes

My first model was the Apollo Saturn V rocket, a joy to build because it was made up of a number of separate components and it kept me busy for ages, loved it. My second is the Space Shuttle. The problem with that is that after a couple of hours it was more than half way built, it will be all over in a flash. I have time on my hands and want something to pass the time, something that is time consuming and Interesting. I have a budget of around £30 but can be flexible.

What can you recommend please? Cheers. Keith.

L

Laurie

Airfix Merlin Helicopter.

Took me about 6 months. 335 parts. Best model I have ever built. Well detailed and a joy to build. It does need forethought as how to go about construction ie as ever do not follow necessarily construction part by part. Plan your own way of constructing and painting.

One of the nice things with this model is that the inside of the helicopter is very detailed and on completion has two large cargo doors and a ramp to see into the interior.

Very unusual is that the fuselage has an inner skin and an outer skin.

You can see the result here. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/merlin-1-48-helicopter-afganistan-mode.29072/

Laurie

Also did a build you can see the detail here

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/merlin-hc3-airfix-1-48-afganistan.19993/

P

Polux

There are some interesting items....but why you don't try to build a diorama? ;)

With 30£ you can buy 2 or 3 small items. Create a diorama is a real challenge!! And a place where you will learn a lot!!! There are many tips and forms to paint each item, and they will be all together :smiling3:

I built two dioramas (Secret Trip and Winter Patrol 1943, if you want to take a look), I needed a year or more for each one.

Anyway, good luck with your next choice. ;)

Polux

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Airfix Merlin Helicopter.
Took me about 6 months. 335 parts. Best model I have ever built. Well detailed and a joy to build. It does need forethought as how to go about construction ie as ever do not follow necessarily construction part by part. Plan your own way of constructing and painting.

One of the nice things with this model is that the inside of the helicopter is very detailed and on completion has two large cargo doors and a ramp to see into the interior.

Very unusual is that the fuselage has an inner skin and an outer skin.

You can see the result here. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/merlin-1-48-helicopter-afganistan-mode.29072/

Laurie

Also did a build you can see the detail here

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/merlin-hc3-airfix-1-48-afganistan.19993/
That is a fantastic job you did there, it looks really impressive. I am tempted to have a go but feel a bit nervous, after all I am just a beginner. I will think about it, it certainly will pass the time give you that!

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
There are some interesting items....but why you don't try to build a diorama? ;)
With 30£ you can buy 2 or 3 small items. Create a diorama is a real challenge!! And a place where you will learn a lot!!! There are many tips and forms to paint each item, and they will be all together :smiling3:

I built two dioramas (Secret Trip and Winter Patrol 1943, if you want to take a look), I needed a year or more for each one.

Anyway, good luck with your next choice. ;)

Polux
Thanks, that is in idea. I think though I will postpone doing dioramas until I have more practice under my belt. Still got a lot to learn.

D

dubster72

Any 1/35 armour kit by Dragon! Usually they have upwards of 400-500 parts, plus their instructions take a week to decipher ;)

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Any 1/35 armour kit by Dragon! Usually they have upwards of 400-500 parts, plus their instructions take a week to decipher ;)
Yes, that sounds interesting, but I think the instructions may end up in the same place as the ones from Ikea! Seriously though it is a possibility. Thanks.

P

Polux

Well...you prefer the build time (glued) or the paintwork time...?

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Well...you prefer the build time (glued) or the paintwork time...?
To be honest makes no difference to me I enjoy both, it keeps me happily occupied.

K

Keithmayes

What does it mean when it says on the box the number of flying hours? Can't figure it out at all.

P

Polux

I have it!!! ;)

What you need is a locomotive 1/35!!!

Are "easy" to build (not many tiny pieces), you can learn the bases of the modulation paintwork, and the simple weathering tips.....and remember that once built they look amazing.

Eh? O_o

P

phikoleoputra

Those 1/35 Trumpeter kits are full of details and enjoyable to build, or you could go big like 1/48 jets/WW2 bombers. When I got back to the hobby, it took me no time to build a kit, but after experience here and there it takes longer, because of your attention to detail, research, references, etc.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How about on of the Revell 1/32 scale aircraft. big god detail and a German mottle camouflage will keep you busy for a while

Ian m

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
I have it!!! ;)
What you need is a locomotive 1/35!!!

Are "easy" to build (not many tiny pieces), you can learn the bases of the modulation paintwork, and the simple weathering tips.....and remember that once built they look amazing.

Eh? o_O
Can you give an example of one please? Cheers. Keith.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
How about on of the Revell 1/32 scale aircraft. big god detail and a German mottle camouflage will keep you busy for a while
M

Ian m
I have to admit I like the idea of making a decent plane, but one without camo, I think that may be pushing my brushing techniques a little too far at this stage. Maybe something like the Avro Lancaster Bll bomber perhaps? Don't tell me it has camo! I think though I am leaning towards Laurie's helicopter, too early to decide yet but good ideas are coming in.

Can someone please tell me what Flying Time 4 hours means on the box?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
oh how true is that ,

and will keep you busy Keith,as you need to google a how to on what ever you do build,lol, :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think the Airfix Flying Hours are some sort of tokens you save to earn discounts on their kits (A bit like Nectar points or Green Shield stamps!). Details should be on here somewhere:

http://www.airfix.com/us-en/

P

Polux

Oh! If you are interested to watch some more, there is a Completed section on the "train" forum!!

On this forum, of course! lol