What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OK all….for those who have not been able to wait for the next thrilling instalment….here are the doggy riders….
View attachment 430464
View attachment 430465
View attachment 430466
Sorry about the blurring in the pictures…..and the delay….They took longer than I thought. Hope you like them….
Just the shields and final assembly to go…..hopefully a couple more days….
Very nice Tim, and also interested in those timber sections ! What were they, as they look like some beading please. :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice Tim, and also interested in those timber sections ! What were they, as they look like some beading please. :smiling3:
Thanks John, glad you like them. The timber isn’t anything as prosaic as beading I’m afraid. When we scrapped an old roller blind this section was stitched in the bottom as a weight to keep the blind down. I cut some of it up to make stands for cavalry figures. The blue bits are slices from a plastic binder. They help keep the timber upright. They are more successful than the earlier iteration (also on view) which was slices of old biro casing araldited to square section timber. To be honest, neither are perfect so I’m still thinking about the next model…..

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John, glad you like them. The timber isn’t anything as prosaic as beading I’m afraid. When we scrapped an old roller blind this section was stitched in the bottom as a weight to keep the blind down. I cut some of it up to make stands for cavalry figures. The blue bits are slices from a plastic binder. They help keep the timber upright. They are more successful than the earlier iteration (also on view) which was slices of old biro casing araldited to square section timber. To be honest, neither are perfect so I’m still thinking about the next model…..

Thanks Tim, I was trying to think what sort of moulding it would be for :thumb2:

First Name
Andy
I'm having a bash at a sort of diving and snorkeling holiday advert thingy for a chance to dive on sunken ordinance from WW2. To include a tank. an aircraft, and a landing craft. All 1/72. Also possibly a submarine in a smaller scale!

I've made a start on the aircraft. It's a 1/72 Grumman Wild Cat. Bought a while back for the princely sum of £1.99 from the model show at RAF Cosford.

I've hacked off the control surfaces.
The perspex will be long gone, so I made the remaining cockpit frame from some plastic card. The painting is rough, as the colours and decals will be barely seen once the barneyecals have took over. I just thought it would look nice with the colours just showing through the growth.

View attachment 430566

View attachment 430567

View attachment 430568

Rough as a bear's a**e and brush painted with Vallejo Air. Ready for 'Mother Nature'......
View attachment 430569

Cheers.
Ron
Great idea Ron, but will we need SCUBA gear to see the finished product?

Andy.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great idea Ron, but will we need SCUBA gear to see the finished product?

Andy.

Nah, as long as you can hold your breath long enough, a snorkel might just do.......

!st. coating. Crushed up gravel and filler sprinkled on from a dizzy height onto the aircraft and it's polystyrene base. I've also chopped off the engine cowl so the engine can be seen.

P1300856.JPG

P1300858.JPG

Cheers.

Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nah, as long as you can hold your breath long enough, a snorkel might just do.......

!st. coating. Crushed up gravel and filler sprinkled on from a dizzy height onto the aircraft and it's polystyrene base. I've also chopped off the engine cowl so the engine can be seen.

View attachment 430626

View attachment 430627

Cheers.

Ron
Damn caught me out once again 570, actually believed you were taking up diving as a new hobby and using it for researching war time wreaks.

Matron could you up my meds please.
Now totally confused of Broadmoor .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice choice Paul......."Heinemann's Hot Rod is sure to please.....most all the Navy birds of that era were grey. Not very becoming but difficult to get a visual on at Sea. Have fun with it. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It's great to see so much stuff going on at the bench here. I wish I was so lucky. I don't even have time to breathe between trying to retire and work, work and more work. Here's what's on my table (don't have a bench) at the moment,

IMG_0669 (2).JPG
And it doesn't look to get any better soon. Hell, I can't even keep up with you folks and your fine work on here.........It sucks.............

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
i would link to it if I could work out how…..
Go to the other thread and copy its URL from your browser’s address bar. Then select the text you want as a link, click the little “chain” icon in the button bar, then paste the URL into the appropriate field of the popup.

Alternatively, if you have the toolbar turned off (by clicking the cogwheel icon), it works like this:

[text for the link](https://www.example.com)

That is, put the text you want to be clickable between square brackets, followed by the URL in parentheses, without a space between any of this (though you can have spaces in the actual link text).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Go to the other thread and copy its URL from your browser’s address bar. Then select the text you want as a link, click the little “chain” icon in the button bar, then paste the URL into the appropriate field of the popup.

Alternatively, if you have the toolbar turned off (by clicking the cogwheel icon), it works like this:

[text for the link](https://www.example.com)

That is, put the text you want to be clickable between square brackets, followed by the URL in parentheses, without a space between any of this (though you can have spaces in the actual link text).
Thanks Jakko. Bet I forget it next time I need it though LOL…

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The dump truck evilbey deal has caused me to take another look at the ROCO version of the GMC purpose-built dump truck as they had to be disassembled for cleanup. The six I had were done decades ago. Upon further investigation they have used the same chassis as the long wheelbase cargo version w/the spare tire & gas tank in the wrong place for the short wheelbase GMC dump truck. I now have 10 dump trucks to remove the side mounted gas tank & spare tire/mount, remounting the spare tire behind the cab. Here are five chassis done & five to go. I am not going to shorten the wheelbase because I would also have to shorten the dump bed, dump mechanism frame, & lift cylinder. Too much work for a few mm. C&Cs welcomed.
100_2909.JPG

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
That's a lot of Deuce and a halfs !

I do love a CCKW, I modified quite a few Italeri 1/35's in the olden days. I did chop a 353 into a SWB 352 but now you can buy it as a kit so I probably will.

And I drove one round Holland. I think building kits was easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.