Not open for further replies.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
At the moment I will have to say filler mostly. Held together with bits of plastic.
20211228_122151.jpg
Fit wise its OK the deck was a bit squiffy and resulted in a high one corner, low in an other. The big problem is sink marks!!! Everywhere that there is a rib, detail, connecting place on the back side of the part there is a sink mark! Surprisingly hardly any flash so that's a good thing. Must be a Monday morning kit where the tool had not warmed up. The other one I built was a great little kit and was built with out the use of filler!
If anyone is in doubt its the 1972 Airfix 73 ft. Vosper torpedo boat.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Strange. The Airfix Vosper I made a year ago was a great fit, with no issues.

As you write, your's must be "A Monday morning kit"

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Strange. The Airfix Vosper I made a year ago was a great fit, with no issues.

As you write, your's must be "A Monday morning kit"
Funny that 'cause it was one I bought from you together with the Rescue launch. :smiling6::tears-of-joy::smiling5:.
As I wrote the fit is OK it was just all the sink marks! Every single part. Sink marks! As for the poor crew... don't think they will survive. One has more hole than bum, another looks like he has been shot in his appendage with a large calibre flak shell... :flushed:
Never let a few gaps get in my way. Just takes more time to get to the fun part....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Having to take a break from my feeble attempts to paint the face of lutz the loader for my Maultier, I kept hearing a voice from the stash saying "Me, Me Me!!!"........I gave in and pulled out the Fly 1/32 Ar 234B-2/B-2N kit and started cleaning up the parts. It's a limited run kit and I wanted to see how the parts fit together as there are no locating pins at all. Molding is very decent and some of the attachment points are large. Lots of resin and some etch too. So here's what we got,

IMG_2775.JPG

It's quite a big puppy and I'm going to need a bigger mat. You can see the the resin parts come in 3 colors and is very nicely detailed. The parachutes (dark gray) for the rocket assist pods on the left are finely cast with super cloth detail and straps. On the cockpit parts, even the cabling is molded in. A better shot,

IMG_2776.JPG
Not many ejector pin marks and they are all on the inside of the parts. Also note the lack of locating pins/holes,

IMG_2777.JPG

Crisp details on the resin and clean up was very easy too. To make the night fighter version, you need to hack out a chunk of the fuselage for the radar operator station's window,

IMG_2779.JPG

There are no marks on the inside, so you have to saw the opening in the fuselage panel lines outside. JLC saw blade to the rescue and an hour and a half worth of careful sawing. I must have done it pretty good and with a little scraping and sanding, we had this,

IMG_2781.JPG

Only the oval part will be clear as the rest is the frame and will be painted. So far, so good and the fit is surprisingly good for a short run kit. On to the cockpit......................

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Mark, it was a little nerve wracking and I really did surprise myself that it came out as good as it did. Still have to drill out the porthole windows on each side though.....................

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nowt like taking a razor saw to a nice new kit. Focuses the mind.
I have a 1/32 spitfire conversion in the pipeline. Cutting the fuselage up is always 'exciting'.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice bit of "Hackery" there Allen.......I'm just curious, how thick is that fuselage? In the photo, it appears to be an eighth of an inch! Small wonder it took so long to cut through it. You must have the patience of a Saint. All else looking Tops Sir!! :thumb2: Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Ian, I hold the saw blade in my fingers and go slow. The only precaution was not to drink a cup of coffee before I did it. Can't wait to see you chop up your Spitfire....

Thanks too Rick, As it's a limited run kit, the plastic is thicker than most. It's about 2mm on the fuselage where I cut. Just went slow and used the fine tooth side. The worst was doing the horizontal cut, but I got lucky.......

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ian, I hold the saw blade in my fingers and go slow. The only precaution was not to drink a cup of coffee before I did it. Can't wait to see you chop up your Spitfire....
I would not even pick up the saw without at least to cups! It will be a while yet, so stand at ease. Lol

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
its finally finished

fSS7Hx4.jpg

EhpN44A.jpg

YkOGl7z.jpg

Just need to put it on a base and off to the finished kits for 2021 thread

All 2 of them:tongue-out3:

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I had to paint the deck lines for the Knox with the help of masking tape and a free turning compass with attached rolling pen for the circle.

20220101_004559.jpg

Also managed to add tail stabilisers using plastic strips. Painting after this.

20220102_015542.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.