What's on the Bench 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see some great work chaps.

So my professional studies mean that I spend most of my time looking at my laptop or course notes (current module extract below - this is the biggest module of the course).....my modelling table doubles as my study area, so no room to model even if there was the time.

That said I have been plodding on with Miniart's 1/72 Village House at the small modelling group I run at my church. Got it relatively cheap 2nd had a number of years ago. It's exactly the same as their Town House I'm still working on but with only one story, not two. As with with the Town House, the inside is rather poor and so I've added thin plasticard to improve it. I will do a proper blog in due course.

All the best.

Andrew

PS Thanks to the various members that have sent their best wishes with the studies.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I didn't really have much to build but managed to find this Tamiya 1/35 Horch in the shed. Nearly 50 year old design so not what I'm used to but it was a fun little build and I'll hopefully have even more fun painting it.

I'm trying out an AK acrylic modulation set on this but if it all goes wrong I have my usual Mr Color on standby.

PXL_20230326_115223941.jpg

PXL_20230326_120703038.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Slowly getting this Pioneer together between garden in the sunny spells, and a first floor conversion when it rains! lol Some time between I can get to the bench.

20230330_094225.jpg
Finally got some paint down on the rest of the cab and painted the trailer. Portland Stone Model Air if you are interested. The Few decals next then a bit of weathering and the odd chip here and there.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Slowly getting this Pioneer together between garden in the sunny spells, and a first floor conversion when it rains! lol Some time between I can get to the bench.

View attachment 478215
Finally got some paint down on the rest of the cab and painted the trailer. Portland Stone Model Air if you are interested. The Few decals next then a bit of weathering and the odd chip here and there.
Looking good Ian .
Unfortunately the rain here has put a stop to any major gardening as well .

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

View attachment 478215
Got the 'Goose neck' version of this and look forward to your progress with interest. Got anything planned to go on top of the trailer - Sherman, Crusader?
Cheers
Paul

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Got the 'Goose neck' version of this and look forward to your progress with interest. Got anything planned to go on top of the trailer - Sherman, Crusader?
Cheers
Paul
........or a captured Tiger ll? ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers
Paul
I have one of those on the way. It came the other day but they delivered the wrong kit. All sorted now so hope to have it soon.
Odd that they choose two 30 trailers and didn't do the 20 ton.

It might get a Churchill, one of the Kingsmans It might be over weight but I have seen piccies of the combo. Been a while since I built a Cruiser or a Grant/lee thingy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've got the basic acrylic painting done on the Horch and sealed it up with a coat of VMS HD satin varnish. New stuff to me and I really like it even though the recommended application method is a bit unnerving at first!

2023-03-30 19.08.05.jpg

Next up is washes & oil work but there's still loads more to do with the driver, lots of crap in the back, detail painting, then weathering to suit a base/vignette idea I've had for it.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
............ sealed it up with a coat of VMS HD satin varnish. New stuff to me and I really like it even though the recommended application method is a bit unnerving at first!

Andy

From what I've seen it's the exact opposite of everything we're told to do and that's to flood it???

Looking good by the way!

Andrew

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see some great work chaps.

So my professional studies mean that I spend most of my time looking at my laptop or course notes (current module extract below - this is the biggest module of the course).....my modelling table doubles as my study area, so no room to model even if there was the time.

That said I have been plodding on with Miniart's 1/72 Village House at the small modelling group I run at my church. Got it relatively cheap 2nd had a number of years ago. It's exactly the same as their Town House I'm still working on but with only one story, not two. As with with the Town House, the inside is rather poor and so I've added thin plasticard to improve it. I will do a proper blog in due course.

All the best.

Andrew

PS Thanks to the various members that have sent their best wishes with the studies.

That looks like a riveting bit of reading …

Gentleman you're not wrong.....some of it can be very dry.....but it improves the chance of a pay rise and future employment prospects....but I am missing a proper modelling session!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy

From what I've seen it's the exact opposite of everything we're told to do and that's to flood it???

Looking good by the way!

Andrew
Exactly mate, lash it on and cross your fingers :tears-of-joy:

They recommend a 0.4 but I put it on with my PS275 which is a 0.3 (not that size is everything). I was expecting it to pool up, leave tide marks (as it does a bit on their video), or drip onto the floor but it just worked :cool:

I also have the gloss & matt to try out. I can't see anything beating mr color gx100 for gloss level but I'll reserve judgement until I've given it a go.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Best gloss I’ve used is Zero paints Clearcoat lacquer Andy. Literally a wet look gloss that can be further polished to enhance shine.
Used it on this one way back when….

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Exactly mate, lash it on and cross your fingers :tears-of-joy:

They recommend a 0.4 but I put it on with my PS275 which is a 0.3 (not that size is everything). I was expecting it to pool up, leave tide marks (as it does a bit on their video), or drip onto the floor but it just worked :cool:

I also have the gloss & matt to try out. I can't see anything beating mr color gx100 for gloss level but I'll reserve judgement until I've given it a go.

I watched Night Shift use it once and he had exactly the same reaction as you.....I simply couldn't belief it and yet it works brilliantly. Might move to it once I've used up all my Vallejo Resin varnish.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely bike Tim!

And yes, from the limited few I've tried lacquers definitely have the water based stuff beat hands down for gloss level but I'm willing to try anything.

Except morris dancing :surprised:
When I was a junior school nipper we used to have a lesson called music and movement at school….and our teacher was a Morris dancer, so guess what we did……

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely bike Tim!

And yes, from the limited few I've tried lacquers definitely have the water based stuff beat hands down for gloss level but I'm willing to try anything.

Except morris dancing :surprised:
Cheers for the compliment, by the way…..

Status
Not open for further replies.