What's on the Bench 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
One of my memories of Open University summer schools is being taught Morris dancing at 2 am outside the "quiet block" at the Uni of Warwick! Luckily I was too drunk to remember any of the steps.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Had some great summer schools, but didn’t go to Warwick…..I think the most fun was Holloway and Eggham…..pure lunacy on so many levels…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
York was my favourite, in 1983. Made some good friends, kept in touch for about 30 years!
Pete

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
When I was a junior school nipper we used to have a lesson called music and movement at school….and our teacher was a Morris dancer, so guess what we did……
We had 'English Country Dancing' - including the Maypole and Morris (and don't say it out loud but I danced in a Morris side once :rolling: !)
Steve

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
York was my favourite, in 1983. Made some good friends, kept in touch for about 30 years!
Pete
Did two in York in the nineties as well. Both higher level chemistry and both really good fun. Pub crawls around York’s oldest pubs were essential. Did you ever do the Nottingham “Boat race”?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
We had 'English Country Dancing' - including the Maypole and Morris (and don't say it out loud but I danced in a Morris side once :rolling: !)
Steve
I used to attend the sweep festival in Rochester, Kent, when my wife’s brother lived there. Great day out! Mind you, I always found the “Dark Morris” mildly disturbing. If you haven’t come across them, they dress the same, but in black, not white, clothes, and dance in silence with no music. Quite eerie to see.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Did two in York in the nineties as well. Both higher level chemistry and both really good fun. Pub crawls around York’s oldest pubs were essential. Did you ever do the Nottingham “Boat race”?
Mine was Living with Technology (T101). Never needed to leave the campus, there were enough bars on campus.
No, never done anything much in Nottingham, although I used to go there for work occasionally.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I though the Dark Morris was a Terry Pratchett fantasy.
Pete
That’s where the idea originates, but there are now several groups actively practicing it ;) Don’t know if they do the stick and bucket dance, but I bet someone does……

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
you all need to get out more.
You're right Boss! I totally don't understand all this nonsense about dancing around small autos, no matter what color they are or what year..........

I took a break from playing in plastic and went with a 1/1 build. A 3-drawer paint holder from Hobby Zone,

IMG_3581.JPG
That's as far as I got yesterday. I still need to build two drawers. I drilled small holes in the main piece, used tiny brads and glue to hold it together. Same method for the drawers. Pretty cool kit and it will even hold 23ml Tamiya bottles, not just the smaller ones as stated in their description. Another view,

IMG_3584.JPG
The slots are for the supplied drawer dividers,

IMG_3582.JPG
Now, I just need to find a home for it on the table...............

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not my bench, but on it this afternoon were these:

E3E228CC-D598-4847-8E7A-AEDCF7A4A515.jpeg

The top one came from this:

C736C099-9DEA-4710-A4B4-627FAE76CD9B.jpeg

And is to go into this:

BC9F2981-03C9-45C4-8528-ADAFE2DFF26A.jpeg

That’s not one but two Caterpillar D6(Armored) bulldozers built in 1943 and used by the British and/or Canadians in the Second World War. The armour on the second one is part original and part restored to the shape it had before a previous owner took a cutting torch to it. It actually came from the first one, but because the second is a runner and the first isn’t, the owners decided to swap it over. This is slightly thicker and tougher material than I’m used to working with — 22 mm steel plate …

The upper dashboard is original to the armoured cab, the lower is from a bigger D7(Armored).

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Best gloss I’ve used is Zero paints Clearcoat lacquer Andy. Literally a wet look gloss that can be further polished to enhance shine.
Used it on this one way back when….
Blimey! Tim builds motorsickles, who'd a thunk it?

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What's on the bench?

How about a new (temporary) bench?

Some of you may have seen me rumbling about working out in the shed so as a temporary measure I've rearranged my PC desk to give myself a little painting area for figures and small stuff. Should give me something to do when I don't fancy going outside and it all packs away into a small box to keep her indoors happy.

If it works out okay I may set up something more permanent in the other room, with space for extra paints etc.

Maybe even a build section. Baby steps :smiling3:

PXL_20230401_195620405~2.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
What's on the bench?

How about a new (temporary) bench?

Some of you may have seen me rumbling about working out in the shed so as a temporary measure I've rearranged my PC desk to give myself a little painting area for figures and small stuff. Should give me something to do when I don't fancy going outside and it all packs away into a small box to keep her indoors happy.

If it works out okay I may set up something more permanent in the other room, with space for extra paints etc.

Maybe even a build section. Baby steps :smiling3:

View attachment 478430
I may try and run this past SWIMBO. I'm not going to hold my breath but I know she'll be at her weakest tomorrow as it's her birthday and she hates reminding she's older!!!!! So strike whilst she's not at her best. I have a desk that my PS sits on and little else other than the monitor!!! If I can fit the PS on the floor or inside the cabinet!!! Wish me luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.