What's on the Bench 2024

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like those Hobby Boss quick-build planes. Detail is quite good, except for the cockpit, but it’s all very few parts. I’d say they would make ideal starter kits for children, as well as uncomplicated ones for jaded modellers ;)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
as well as uncomplicated ones for jaded modellers
Yes I agree Jakko. My Hobby Farm keeps growing and takes a lot of my time these days but I still have a big Appetite to build models and these I think will fit the bill till winter hits.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Okay, this went less well than expected :sad:

IMG_1009.jpeg

When I removed the masks, the ones for the stars and the 7s were stuck much more strongly than I thought they would be, and so I had to peel and scratch them off with a knife — with the results shown above.

In retrospect, the cause is obvious. I had used PVA(-like) woodworking glue to stick them on, but hadn’t bothered to check the exact type. Turns out this particular bottle is intended for in- and outdoor use, and extra strong, which apparently makes it stick to paint much better than I thought it would. I’ve never had this happen in the past when I used straight PVA glue, with which the masks just peel off the model and leave nothing behind. The obvious lesson is to pay more attention to the glue next time :smiling3:

Nothing to do but fix it with a brush:

IMG_1010.jpeg