Winter camo

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
ive decided to build and complete the 234 I was using for practice and I was wondering if the entire gun was white washed or was it just the barrel ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Lol German armoured car , full designation sd kfz 234 , I thought people would of known what I was on about seeing as there's pics of it in the oil painting thread;)

D

dubster72

It would be just the barrel Alan, effectively just the bits visible from the outside.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
It would be just the barrel Alan, effectively just the bits visible from the outside.
Cheers Patrick , I will have to paint the whole gun then seeing as it's the early version with the full gun exposed :smiling3:

I don't think this version was ever deployed to the eastern front but I wanted to try out a winter scheme before I build the king tiger :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Well don't go mad with the whitewash, I'm thinking delicate gun mechanisms wouldn't have much on them.

What KT do you have? I'm soon to be doing a Dragon 1/72 King Tiger in an Ardennes setting.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Yeah I figured that so I was thinking of doing a light dry brush and putting some of the original colour on the edges so it gives a worn look it's too small to do a chipping effect

My KT is the airfix 1/76 , it looks like a nice little kit.

D

dubster72

You could try a technique that I've used for dust effects.

Use white enamel, & apply a thin coat. Leave for 20 minutes or so & with a flat brush moistened with white spirit, draw the brush in vertical strokes from top to bottom. The white paint will gradually come off. Take off as much as you're happy with.

Seal with a gloss coat & repeat the steps as many or as little times until it looks how you want it.

Ooh Airfix armour! I've always been wary of their tank kits, so I'll be interested in seeing that build.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I'll try that mate thanks for the tip :smiling3:

I've found Airfix armour ok it tends to have a softer plastic so the glue melts it quicker stick a bit tape on and it seals the gap , then give it a light rub down once dry and it's fine :smiling3:

D

dubster72

It's all the molded-on bits that put me off, especially the tow cables. For a 'new tool' kit in this day & age I think Airfix could have done better.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I don't think its a new tool , but I do agree with the mouldings , on the airfix KT it would have been better if the cables were separate instead of moalded on

D

dubster72

I always thought it was because their Cromwell was brand new.

I'm sure you'll knock out an excellent kit Al :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've just had a good look to check and you may be right mate there is a big absence of flash and the seams are level

We will see if I do a good build I'm not confidant , I'll be doing it properly well try to but thanks for the comment:smiling3:

D

dubster72

Well, I should be posting pics of my 1/72 Revell Panzer III tomorrow (with luck & a fair wind!) .

It's my first stab at braille scale armour!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well, I should be posting pics of my 1/72 Revell Panzer III tomorrow (with luck & a fair wind!) .It's my first stab at braille scale armour!
I look forward to it Patrick I'm sure it will look good :smiling3:

N

noble

If you want winter camo there Alan try stippling the models paintwork with maskol then leave it to dry, once dry matt white 30% mix to a 70% mix thinner. Set the airbrush to 10 psi then spray the whole vehicle, build the layers up in some places and thinner in areas where you get a lot of crew traffic. Once dry remove the dried maskol and rub the edges down with a soft tooth brush.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
If you want winter camo there Alan try stippling the models paintwork with maskol then leave it to dry, once dry matt white 30% mix to a 70% mix thinner. Set the airbrush to 10 psi then spray the whole vehicle, build the layers up in some places and thinner in areas where you get a lot of crew traffic. Once dry remove the dried maskol and rub the edges down with a soft tooth brush.scott
Cheers Scott only thing is I brush paint but I use maskol for chipping effects with varying results so that might work with brush painting so thanks for the advice mate :smiling3:

P

Polux

Wooooow! You nailed it Alan!!!

Magnificent, I like it a lot!!

My suggestion: you should add a very soft green wash, you will have a nice, dirt and weathered camo ;)