Young Miniatures B-17 Waist Gunner Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete,
I am always amazed at the quality of your work and the speed you can do them. This is no exception a great result mate.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely leatherwork and great progress.

Looks like a simple day ahead to cross the finish line, and start to look for the next victim or back to your 1/16 US figure?

I guess the 1/16 head will always be the acid test with your sight?

Hopefully both you and Katherine are on the road to recovery?

The cold weather wont help so keep well wrapped up if you venture out today, its only 8 C at the moment!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks amazing. Quite timely, I'm just researching my next build, A B17.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. A lot of steam-bending of parts today in order to get the straps and lines draped properly. The oxygen mask has to be placed just right, so that the straps connect with the helmet, which could be tricky. I think I'll get on with the 1/16 Alpine US infantryman next, as at least the head is out of the way. Quite warm here as it happens, and sunny - my granddaughter's 2nd birthday as well - hopefully seeing her at the weekend if we feel well enough.

Colin - Glad you like him. I've been looking at a lot of research , part of which has been an amazing array of 'combat' footage on Youtube, both USAAF and German camera gun. One sequence showed that immaculate belly landing of a crippled B-17, easily comparable to Sully's landing on the Hudson.

D

Deleted member 6559

This one is finished:

100_8241.JPG100_8247.JPG100_8248.JPG100_8249.JPG

The final session involved fitting the oxygen mask with it's four separate straps and tube. The tube didn't like being bent over a steaming kettle, threatening to split in a couple of places, but it worked out reasonably OK. I broke the microphone cord trying to bend it, so I replaced it with some Verlinden rubber tube, supplied with a 120mm USAAF figure, and which has proved very useful.

Also added were the life vest strap at the back, helmet chin strap and the jack for the microphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4539

Beautiful painting Peter :smiling3:.
I do so love your work.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

That really is rather very special indeed. It might indeed be the best I have seen you do.

Top job all round.

All the best.

Andrew

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice finish.

All the complexities of the straps and mask just blend in, that makes it an excellent piece of work when it all looks just right and you can't see how difficult it was to build.

Well done.

Looks like you are getting the best of the weather at the moment as its still cold up't North.

Back to the winter infantryman today?

And a visitor this weekend too

Enjoy the day and the visit

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Thank you. Haven't seen you around much lately?

Steve - Glad you like him. A bit of modelling was involved in this one at least. Not going down to visit the granddaughter in Lewes this weekend after all, as we're both still too ill. Back to the 1/16 infantryman today, and a nice relaxed session painting the coat. Still warm and sunny here in the Garden of England.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I really like this one Peter. Your consistently high (amazing) standard never fails to impress.
John.