Young Miniatures Commando Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

I've since done a wee bit more work on the face:

100_7394.JPG100_7395.JPG100_7396.JPG

Darkened under the brow, lightened under the chin etc.

I did have a couple of more goes at the cap badge, including a Free French variant,which I removed when I realised that he really needed the 'France' shoulder titles to go with it. I found this photo of 4 Commando at a pre-D-Day briefing:

Men of No_4 Commando being briefed before D-Day_ copy.jpg

No cap badges there, so I think I'll leave it as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nailed it mon ami,Love it,Beret and head look amazing,Uniform coming along nicely.
Rich.

First Name
Jason
Very nice job.... I often bemoan the lack of decent British figures and discounted this one because of the knife in the teeth, but you’ve turned it into a cracker!
Jason

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Thanks. I'm not totally enamoured of the head, but at least the thing as a whole has been saved.

Peter - Many thanks for looking in.

Jason. Glad you approve. He's not finished yet; I have the rucksack and rope to do and I've also made a sheath for the knife.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
I reckon with a bit of practice you will nail this painting lark :tongue-out3: :tongue-out3: Very nice.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Still slogging away at it. I only have to look at the box art to see how far I've got to go.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work on the drapery, well shaded and great colour contrasts with the kit and polo neck jumper.

Another super bust, it must be a brutal competition for a place in your cabinet these days!

So many great busts and figures this year, already!

Looks like another good day, though a cool grey start, which I shall take advantage of.

As the resident patient/gardener is on the subs bench, I get to clear all the damned bluebells!!

I'll start on the front garden shortly before the sun gets too hot, then try and use the AB, hopefully the spluttering has been cleaned/cured!!

I always have my tarmac road scenario to work on too.

Have a good day and enjoy the weather, another walk and flint hunt when it gets too bright?

Enjoy

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Glad you like our man. I'm painting the rucksack today, which has a difficult-looking coil of rope under the flap.

I used to have to clear the bluebells from our garden in London. Hell of a job as they grew so thickly (wasn't sure either if their protected status put me in the wrong). Good luck, and don't stay out in the sun too long. Hopefully you can get to the bench later.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Peter

Wild bluebells are protected, you can't pick or dig them up.
Domestic garden bulbs are yours to toil with once a year, I'll have to do them all over the next 4/5 days as we still have loads even after the marsh marigold rampage tried to kill them!

That is probably all my gardening knowledge, except for rhubarb LOL

Have a good one

|Steve H

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I really like this one Peter, I think you have nailed it!

D

Deleted member 6559

May thanks Jack and Steve.

He's finished:

100_7403.JPG100_7402.JPG100_7404.JPG100_7405.JPG

The rucksack was a bit of a swine, particularly the rope, which I tried various methods on before finally opting for a simple base-coat and wash. As mentioned before, I made a scabbard for the knife, then found I didn't really have anywhere to put it, so I've attached it to the bandolier.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps. Back a thousand years for the next two busts...