Zoukei Mura J2M2 Rai Den, 1/32 scale.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have now applied a black primer.

Seams look generally good from a cursory look. I will examine them in more detail alter. When any issues are resolved I will run a polishing stick over the model before starting the painting.
IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6704.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks good under the primer. Does the polishing make a big difference to the final finish or is it just a precaution against rogue dust or hair?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looks good under the primer. Does the polishing make a big difference to the final finish or is it just a precaution against rogue dust or hair?
Exactly that. It helps ensure a smooth surface. You don’t want to sand paint away, just smooth the finish hence a polishing sponge.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Exactly that. It helps ensure a smooth surface. You don’t want to sand paint away, just smooth the finish hence a polishing sponge.
Must admit Barry, I’ve only ever done that under a gloss or metal finish. Probably why your finishes look so much better than mine LOL….this one is no exception, by the way. Looking very nice.

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Excellent work, that is coming along very nicely. The Raiden is one of my favorite aircraft and I am enjoying watching your build.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been getting on with the painting. Still got some more detail painting to do before applying decals. Here is where I am at.

Almost every build of the Raiden I have seen has been with the lightning bolts on the side. I have decided to be different and do a different aircraft without them. A much plainer, simpler scheme and the beauty is in its simplicity.

IMG_6708.jpeg

IMG_6709.jpeg

IMG_6710.jpeg

IMG_6711.jpeg

The scheme I am doing is below.
IMG_6712.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on a treat. Nice to see a scheme which is not so common.

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Detail painting done, note that I painted the red no walk lines. I always do this as it’s far easier and effecting than the decals.
IMG_6713.jpeg

That said Zoukei Mura decals are excellent so I decided to use them instead of painting the main markings.
First of all I applied a gloss coat. Because I spray with MRP’s lacquer varnish you do need to be a little careful not to reactivate the base paint so I use several very light mist coats and no heavy varnish coats.
IMG_6715.jpeg
IMG_6716.jpeg

I will do decals later today and, when they are bedded down, do another light gloss varnish to seal them ready for a wash.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking very good Barry. Does the lacquer varnish reactivate the colour coat regardless of how long the colour coat is left to cure? Have you considered an acrylic varnish?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Barry!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looking very good Barry. Does the lacquer varnish reactivate the colour coat regardless of how long the colour coat is left to cure? Have you considered an acrylic varnish?
Lacquers simply spray so much better than any water based paint so I only use that. The answer is yes, it is reactivated, though it is less prone to it if on for longer. This is very much a ‘lacquer thing’. It’s just a matter of being careful and it’s fine.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Decals all done and I have sprayed a sealing coat of gloss varnish.
IMG_6717.jpeg

IMG_6718.jpeg

I have also been prepping the other bits ready for final fittings.
IMG_6719.jpeg

So far I used an enamel pin wash to bring out detail on the internal parts, u/c legs etc. for the airframe I am going to use Flory clay washes, I have not used these for some time but I think they will work well with this kit. Mostly it will be Dark Dirt wash but I am considering mixing a little Light wash with it for the topsides as I think it will be more effective in this case. These are water based ‘sludge’ washes. I will post more progress on that hopefully later today.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I thought I would post a quick pic having applied a sludge wash.

When it’s dried I will remove with a cloth dampened in water.

Sludge washes are quicker and easier to apply over large surface areas specially if you have lots of rivets.
IMG_6720.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Barry.

Used Flory washes for the first time earlier this year and really liked them.

ATB.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The wash dried and after a couple of hours I used a piece of dry blue roll to wipe it off. I used a cotton bud in hard to reach areas. A couple of tips on this:
1/ Always end with a wipe in the direction of airflow.
2/ If you don’t like the effect then you can use a wet piece of blue roll to clean it out of the panel lines to start again.
3/ I used a gloss surface as I only really wanted the wash left in panel lines and around detail. If you use a matt or semi matt varnish then it will stain other areas and this can be very effective. I do suggest practice to see how you like it. Again, even on a matt surface, you can clean up with water if you need to.

Finally, once you have finished, walk away and have a cuppa or a pint. Then return to examine the model afresh and it is likely that you will find somewhere that still needs a clean. It’s important to sort it before you matt varnish.

Below one wing has been cleaned up with the other wind to do. It did not take long.
IMG_6721.jpeg

Below the model is done, one final inspection to do before matt varnishing.
IMG_6722.jpeg

Flory washes are a great option and you cannot really go wrong with them. They don’t replace enamel washes, I stil prefer them around fine detail, particularly internal detail. Flory washes are by far the best for large surfaces with fine detail. Of course enamel washes are also by far the best option for replicating kerosene and oil spills.

So, next up, a matt coat.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
After a matt coat I have started the weathering on the underside. Mostly using weathering pencils and some pigments so far.
IMG_6723.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have done some fairly extensive chipping and paint west using Uschi Metal Powder, chrome effect. (Not sure why it’s called chrome, it isn’t, it’s just the best one for this purpose).

AK kerosene leaks wash and AK Exhaust wash also applied.

IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

IMG_6726.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The main undercarriage was tricky to put together but in the end, with a bit of patience it was fine.
IMG_6729.jpeg

IMG_6730.jpeg

ZM do a lot of innovation and I am sure that producing separate frames for the windows onto which you glue the actual windows after the frames are painted sounded like a good idea. I thought so, but in practise trying to fit the frames to the windows in exactly the right position without making a mess I found to be impossible. Naturally you need to use one of the low tac glues that dry clear which adds to the problem. I tried three times, each time having to clean the parts and start again. I gave up because, thankfully, ZM included a normal set of windows with masks. It took me just a hour to mask the up, paint the interior colour, the camo colour and then matt varnish them.

The separate frames and windows
IMG_6733.jpeg
All ‘disposed of’

The alternatives, masked
IMG_6734.jpeg
Painted
IMG_6735.jpeg

I suspect that ZM thought there would be issues which is why they included both sets. As far as I know they did not repeat that approach on later kits.