ZULU! The Store House...Rorke's Drift...January 1879

T

T. van Vuuren

Have you managed to find a 1/72 "Michael Caine" ?

Now that is a good one! LOL

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank for your posts everyone....both humorous and informative, just as it should be here on S.M.

Peter, if you look closely at the aerial view of the scene, you will spot Mr. Caine to the right of the ladder, next to the bugler and talking in a posh accent. Stanley Baker is to the bugler's right - over acting as usual!!!!

Cheers,

Ron

D

dougie

Wow, what an undertaking. Looking great so far, rather you than me.

This should have been a real group build as in we all paint a Zulu and you make the dio.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
My eyes hurt just looking at the pictures, outstanding work so far Ron

Lee :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

You have my respect that many little figures would take me a life time, actually no it wouldn't since I wouldn't start it in the first place.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work so far Ron,loving it,real adds life with the figures placed ;)

top work on the,Zulu,like the hide shields ,and the color is good as well,

Shaka ,was the one who made the adjustments to shorten there spears I think,

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking real good Ron. A real labour of love but the perseverance will be rewarded I'm sure.

Great stuff

P

T

T. van Vuuren

You are correct Monica, it was Shaka that changed the whole idea of how to do warefare.

He came up with the real close in fight, en-circling the enimy (called "the bull's horns" with the main force in the middle and two horns flanking the sides)

He also use to absorb the enimy tribes into his own thereby growing the Zulu tribe.

He was killed by his brother Dingaan who was a particularly nasty guy, he invited the boers into his camp and then skined them alive while he was feasting.

Sorry for the hijack

Theuns

First Name
barry
Thats looking great Ron a mamoth task (were there mamoths ! No wrong fim ), buildings are brill as are figs and that zulu and sheilds are looking good cant wait to see it finished

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts everyone. Sorry for the late response.

Thanks also for the spear info. Monica and Theuns. I appreciate anything like that and it's not a highjack - far from it....

Quote from the film.......

Lieutenant Bromhead.

"What a strange noise, a bit like a train in the distance."

Is he in for a shock!

View attachment 117770

View attachment 117771

Some of the painted zulus. I have another 80 coming which will give me about 240 in total. Which is just right for the diorama base. Just as well, my eyes can't take much more!

I ran out of shields, so I made 30 odd from thin plastic card, then painted them different colours, rather than all black and white.

I hope you approve of this stage. It won't be too long until the finish...sez he!

Cheers,

Ron

rorkes drift 104.jpg

rorkes drift 105.jpg

M

My Model Car Workshop

Brilliant work Ron! Are the other 80, coming on foot? lol.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Geoff. Sorry, a bit of poor phrasing there. Mind you, knowing our local postal service they might as well walk - probably be quicker!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
'The sentries report: "Zulus to the South West. Thousands of 'em"'

How come you didn't make your base big enough for the other 3760? You've clearly got it down to a fine art, so painting just those extra few wouldn't have taken more than a year or so - provided you gave up all your gallivanting around the countryside of course!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
David, my dear Zulu and Beaufort hunter, it's good to see your maths hasn't lost it's sharpness!

I've just about managed to keep my eyesight - let alone my sanity - so if you think I'm going to subject myself to any more 1/72 figure painting, you can go and ***** ********!

M

My Model Car Workshop

Well, you ran out of paint, didn't you Ron, :sad: and besides, your brushes were wearing out. o_O As good as an excuse as any! :D

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
and its good to be back posting and building

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
David, my dear Zulu and Beaufort hunter, it's good to see your maths hasn't lost it's sharpness!
I've just about managed to keep my eyesight - let alone my sanity - so if you think I'm going to subject myself to any more 1/72 figure painting, you can go and ***** ********!
OK. It's good to see you haven't lost the ability to communicate - your reply is concise, to the point and crystal clear as always. I understood every single word and I know exactly what I'm supposed to do! :D