Zvezda 1/35 GAZ 233014 Tigr with Kornet A/TK missiles

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As my Armata is approaching a finish ( just washes & final sealing coat pending ), my thoughts turn to the next build - yes, it's Russian, it was a toss up as to whether this was posted in the softskin or armoured section, but this thing does have kevlar type armour & anti-mine protection................ zvezda kornet.jpg

I have made the basic Gaz Tiger by Meng, a couple of years ago - a nice little model.........................fin 05.jpg

I'll put up some sprue & detail shots soon, and I have to say I'm surprised at some of the fine mouldings.............
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
A Russian Humvee :tongue-out3: I think I'm right in saying that Zvezda kits are very variable in quality. Recently they have turned out some good stuff.
Watching with interest.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
the latest Zvezda models are VERY nice, good crisp mouldings & plenty of detail - the thing that could improve them is the addition of PE! They also attempt to use scale thickness plastic for multiple brackets etc, which makes for very fiddly and too fragile assemblies! One welcome plus is the strong double boxes used for packaging - important in today's mail order market.
Zvezda do offer the instructions to download from their website for their models, so you can see the complexity before you buy. I've just downloaded them for their yet to be released 'Bumerang' APC, the latest models have colour profiles

bumerang 01.jpgbumerang 2.jpg
That is one I will be keeping an eye out for........................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Interesting that they indicate both their own paints and Tamiya’s, but their own only in Russian and Tamiya’s only in English (and what seems to be translations from Russian at that: X-10 is called Gun Metal and XF-59, Desert Yellow, for example, off the top of my head).

D

Deleted member 7181

Jakko, it must be a theme for them as the 3 Zvezda kits I've built were the same, with their own colours listed in Russian, then either Tamiya or Humbrol in English.

And Jim, even though I have limited experience I'd agree with Dave, the old BTR-80 I did was poor, but the two newer kits I built were excellent quality with good fit and crisp detail & moulding. I'll be making more of them for sure.

Sorry for the interruption Dave, but I'll be watching along with this :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
no problem. Sadly, Zvezda are still selling their earlier models, alongside the new, and their reputation suffers because of them.
You have to be careful, for example the 1/35 Zvezda Su-100, 2 versions - #3531 , 1993 tooling
& - #3688, 2018 tooling, both still commonly available. The earlier one is basic & lacking detail, the latter really good. Download the instructions to make sure!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Ooh, thanks for that as it's one I'm looking at for the future. Santa is bringing me their T-35 first though, which I know from you is one of the good ones :cool:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some detail shots of the Tigr sprues - a few whispers of flash here & there, but nothing to worry aboutP1060689.JPGP1060695.JPG
Chassis & bodypan - no engine ( like the Meng version )P1060696.JPG

I thought that there was a bad moulding on the hubs, but I realised that it was the pipe for the central tyre pressure regulation systemP1060694.JPG
Dashboard ( there are decals for the instruments )P1060691.JPG
A few assorted detailsP1060685.JPGP1060686.JPGP1060687.JPGP1060688.JPG
A nicely moulded mg - not used in this version! ( there are two other boxings )P1060692.JPG
The reason for this version, 8 of these sprues, the missiles P1060698.JPG
The vinyl tyres - solid & quite heavy.............P1060699.JPG

Mesh for the radiator ( works better than I expected ), Clear parts, decals, and a small self adhesive foil for the mirrorsP1060700.JPG
It looks pretty good, but the question will be, does it fit together? I'll find out soon enough
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
An hour or so's work, and a lot of progress - as usual a bit of edge preparation, and careful removal from the sprue.................P1060713.JPGP1060715.JPG
The fit is absolutely spot on, just click into position, and wick in the TET. Some pieces have half-moon pins, so you can't get them the wrong way round - really useful. Only one moment of panic, when I couldn't find a load of parts. I found that sprue B had been cut in two ( to fit the box, I assume ) - only one bearing the 'B'..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chassis & bodypan united - A very snug fit, a lot of jiggling to get them together, don't really need any glue, as they won't come apart by themselves!
P1060719.JPG
Looks suitably busy - in the process the towing hook seems to have gone AWOL, I'll have to find a suitable replacement.
All the undersides will be primed & sprayed satin black - as all Russian wheeled vehicles seem to be............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not a lot of benchtime,but I managed to put the dashboard together & paint itP1060720.JPG
The instructions show the bottom part of the dash to be white, which is far too stark, so I opted for a pale grey - the instructions also show the steering wheel on upside down.......
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tyres prepped & painted with my usual kebab method - rather glossy, but after some weathering, some matt varnish will kill thatP1060721.JPG
The pop-up missile launchers sit in two fabric bags when popped down.............P1060724.JPG
How much will be seen is rather debateable, but still............
All bits for the internals ready for priming, where needed. The 8 tubes are the reload missiles - they have to be reloaded externally. Tyres & hubs assembledP1060725.JPG
I had thought of assembling the bodywork & painting the camo, before uniting top & bottom, but I realise that you wouldn't be able to get the body over the chassis.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Well that is looking nice. Chassis is really nicely detailed.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The chassis detail is 'sensible' , the bits visible are nicely done, the other sides are hollow, or devoid of any detail......................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m very impressed with how those canvas (?) covers look. Very convincing.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a very nice looking kit Dave, certainly looks nice and crisp

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The missile tubes are 'sand', which I took to mean a yellow - I used Mig Sand Yellow. The interior walls and roof are 'ochre'. I then had to think what is meant by 'ochre' I couldn't find any pictures of the interior of the Kornet variant, which is different from others. Dictionary definitions range from red/yellow/brown, I looked in my paintbox, and eventually settled on Mig German Sand Brown. It probably isn't correct, but it looks to give a contrast with the rest of the interior.
No pictures - I found my camera battery has died, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One thing that is shown in the instructions, but not highlighted is the tyres are directional, so two assembles have the tyres pointing in one direction, and two the other.
Missile reloads fitted to their brackets & added to the interiorP1060726.JPG
The side body panels have been primed & the internal sand brown sprayed. The window frames have been painted black, and the windows fitted ( they fit from inside )P1060727.JPG
The roof is ready to be fittedP1060728.JPG
The two dark grey panels are the flat screens displays for the launchers, the two controllers are on the right of the dashboard.
P1060730.JPG
The two mounts for the launchers added ( I CA'd them, as they support quite a bit ).
The two launchers are quite complicated, and I'm going to finish the body before tackling them.
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

One thing that is shown in the instructions, but not highlighted is the tyres are directional, so two assembles have the tyres pointing in one direction, and two the other.
That's one of those little niggles that always winds me up. Models, even box art, with tyres pointing the wrong way :smiling5: