Zvezda 1/72 MI-24P Hind

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry for not keeping up Andy. What a build, love the paintwork, you've certainly got this masking thing off , not surprising really considering you job on much bigger models.
We've all been there with the damage part, either dropping , treading on etc, you did the right thing to leave it over night , the result is great.
I shall endeavour to keep up in future.

D

Deleted member 7181

No problem at all John, happy to see you whenever you can pop in.

To be fair I'm not the greatest at commenting on other people's builds, I just tend to watch, mostly in awe :smiling2:

Having a communication disorder it takes me so long to draft, write, rewrite, edit, proof read, re-edit and completely rewrite my comments that I've often long since forgotten what I was going to say in the first place! :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

OK, so a similar picture to last night, but with the wire cut to length after drilling into the top of the gearbox. And silver leading edge of blades masked up ready for the main colour. Tips have been brushed red.

AZLAXxw.jpg

Then the sleeve I've made. 2mm OD tubing slightly tapered to fit into the gearbox, then the other end drilled out to 1.5mm ID to fit over the "stub"

Pv7a7jO.jpg

And fitted on the whirly thing. It'll go further in with the taper and be about half that length, but I don't want to push it in and out fully too many times in case I break something else! With a lick of paint you'll never know :smiling3:

qXvur96.jpg

As far as the photos go, I've found a setting on my camera called "auto bracket" which will take 3 pictures in quick succession, one normal and one each slightly under and over exposed, so I can pick the one that looks best. Helpful when you don't really know what you're doing and want to take a quick snap without messing around too much :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. In a weird way I got more satisfaction from fixing my mistake than I did assembling the parts in the first place. I can see why you and others put so much effort into modifying kits or adding extra details, that "built not bought" feeling that's so prevalent in other hobbies I've been involved in. Definitely something I'd like to work my way up to.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy I do like your correct use of technical terms " whirly thing " a true Rabble description If I ever heard:smiling3:
That repair has worked a treat , you should be happy with that.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
that "built not bought" feeling that's so prevalent in other hobbies I've been involved in.
There’s actually a name for this: IKEA effect. In short: if you make something yourself, you get more satisfaction out of it than from the exact same thing bought complete (or made by someone else). In modelling, of course we already build the things ourselves, but by extension, having added something to the model that wasn’t in the kit will give you more satisfaction than just putting together the provided pieces.

Apologies for spoiling the feeling by explaining why you like your modification to the kit :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Nope. Nobody in my circles uses that.

The slogan "built not bought" is used regularly however.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s just the name used in a study by psychologists who wrote a paper on the principle that your friends also identified and call “built not bought” :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work andy , the build has been great to watch , and tge hind looks superb now. Excellent repair of the broken rotor head ( whirly bit) . The built not bought feeling can be very addictive , the high you get from doing something to enhance or alter a kit is a great feeling ( if it works !) , so much so that i once had a reputation for never just building out of the box , of course that was when i had a lot more time to spare!! Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tony, appreciate that.

Obviously I'm still trying to find my feet being so new to this, but I definitely think there'll be more scratch building or modifications in the future. Talking of which, I've still not been to that place down Attercliffe that you mentioned. I ended up ordering a few styrene supplies from John for a friends project that's coming up soon, but I can't wait to have a good rummage around a proper hobby shop.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Tony, appreciate that.

Obviously I'm still trying to find my feet being so new to this, but I definitely think there'll be more scratch building or modifications in the future. Talking of which, I've still not been to that place down Attercliffe that you mentioned. I ended up ordering a few styrene supplies from John for a friends project that's coming up soon, but I can't wait to have a good rummage around a proper hobby shop.
I went past the other day andy and was mortified to see the shutters down! Oh no i thought another one bites the dust BUT there was a small notice above the door saying new opening hours , closed wednesdays and another day ( i couldnt quite make out which as i was driving past at the time) so i would give their website a gander for the opening times before setting off ! Cheers Tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Ah, thanks. I also drove past last week but it was after 4 on a Saturday so just figured it was early closing since the shutters were down.

D

Deleted member 7181

Undercarriage. I'm sure the instructions have got the sides mixed up as when I fitted them as suggested the wheels would have been at about 45 degrees to each other and the ground!

Swapped the main parts side to side (very quickly before the glue set in the 35C heat of the shed!!) and they line up much better.

I suppose I could have got them mixed up but I was very careful to orient the model in the same way as the instructions, then remove each part from the sprue and put it on the corresponding side as I cleaned them up, to minimise errors. Either way they look much better how I've put them. More work to do (once the glue is solid) but will hopefully have pictures later :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andy,
The whole thing is looking really good! Glad you sorted out the business with the ‘whirly thing’.
Top stuff :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Easily done andy especially if the instructions are a bit dodgy too. I once carefully made a windscreen for a 1/72 miles magister from folded clear acetate , i was very chuffed with the result , it was only while taking pictures of the completed model i realised id stuck it on upside down!!!! Luckily i was able to rectify it !

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si.

Tony, I've seen others comment unfavourably about the instructions on this model. Often exact mounting locations are a bit indistinct and for some reason there are sub assemblies listed in the margins that might be used a page or so later in the main instructions. Nothing that can't be figured out of course but yet another thing trying to trip me up. I make enough mistakes without all that! :smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Andy,

I too have problems with the destructions sometimes. They show three or four steps with the model up side down and then a few steps with the model right side up without warning. Makes a man crazy trying to add the parts correctly!!! Dragon is famous for bad destructions too.....

Great fix on the whoop whoop piece Sir! Pretty soon we are going to call you Scratchy, not because you have fleas, but because you love to scratch your own stuff in a build!!!! Try to stay cool and we are in the same boat here in Germany still. Hot, hot and more hot…………..

Prost with a cold one
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, thanks Allen. Scratchy, that genuinely made me laugh out loud. :smiling5:

It doesn't help that I'm backwards and forwards through the instructions either, as I'm trying to paint similar coloured items together, leave off parts that I know will get knocked off etc, but I guess that's nothing new for most of you.

Anyway, today I removed all the parts I'd temporarily stuck on for paint. There's still a bit of the PVA left to clean up but moved on to fitting the undercarriage. After a bit of tweaking it now sits squarely on its wheels. Also fitted some of the weaponry.

prx9dFD.jpg

wcdk9ZR.jpg

rTZGWgp.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It doesn't help that I'm backwards and forwards through the instructions either, as I'm trying to paint similar coloured items together, leave off parts that I know will get knocked off etc, but I guess that's nothing new for most of you.
A major part of developing modelling skills, if you ask me, is learning when to follow the instructions and when to let them tell you where the parts go but not the order in which to put them together. A lot of kits will have you put things on that, as you say, you just know will get knocked off later on, or that a little experience tells you will make things hard to paint or put together. Sounds like you’ve gotten to this level at least already :smiling3: