1/12 2010 GT500 Shelby (Oh no not another one I hear you cry! )

First Name
Dave
\ said:
is it where the rubber would be on the doors ?
Kind of, it's the area around the door windows, its a kind of scratch proof coating, it runs from the black area where the door mirror is attached, then up and over towards the rear of the door to where the window rubber is (the bit where you would rest your arm when off on a cruise session! )

this is why you should do lots of research and don't just go by what the instructions say thank you for the heads up i would have been gutted to have finished the car then noticed it are you on the home straight with the car?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
this is why you should do lots of research and don't just go by what the instructions say thank you for the heads up i would have been gutted to have finished the car then noticed it are you on the home straight with the car?
We are lucky these days to have almost instant access to a plethora of research material and also access to other peoples knowledge thanks to forums such as these.

Yes mate I'm on the home straight and the finishing line and chequered flag are in sight........I can almost taste the champagne!

How far are you along with yours? Its hard to tell as some peeps do the shell first just to get it out of the way.

All the best, Dave

i built and painted all the parts first before any construction and did the shell about half way i have just glued the shell to the other half but ill have to mask off again to add the black around the windows that you told me about

First Name
Dave
I think it's great how we all do things in a slightly different way even though the same kit is being built!

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking great. My son has almost inspired me to start mine again. My daughter is on holiday with her boyfriend touring the US of A in none other than a mustang, he suggested I get a couple of 1/12 dolls and do a dio with Tanya and Jim and the mustang in Yosemite, the only trouble is I would have to remove the roof and strip the paint off as they are touring in a convertible and it's white, I must admit I'm very tempted. As I said yours is looking the dogs bits.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking great. My son has almost inspired me to start mine again. My daughter is on holiday with her boyfriend touring the US of A in none other than a mustang, he suggested I get a couple of 1/12 dolls and do a dio with Tanya and Jim and the mustang in Yosemite, the only trouble is I would have to remove the roof and strip the paint off as they are touring in a convertible and it's white, I must admit I'm very tempted. As I said yours is looking the dogs bits.
Do it Ken it would be great, in my mind as long as a model reaches a conclusion it doesn't really matter what steps are taken to get it there as long as its there and that you've got the conclusion you wanted and it pleases you.

I'm dead jealous of your daughter and other half, they are doing something that I could only dream about!

My Mustang is almost done, just putting the finishing touches to it, should be in 'completed' sometime today (hopefully! )

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep I'm proud of her, and my son he's head of history at an ofstead rated outstanding school and only 30 yrs old and she's a cabin manager for easyJet and only 27 mind you she's been one since she was 25, she's a bit peed really as she peaked to soon, the only way she can go higher is if she stops flying and she doesn't want to.

She's done alright for herself her boyfriend is an architect in London, and very good apparently he got a rise this year of 20,000 I don't even earn that in a year.

Any progress on the Mustang ? i am just wiring mine under the bonnet at the minute

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Any progress on the Mustang ? i am just wiring mine under the bonnet at the minute
I'm nearly done mate, had family staying for a few days so modelling has had to be shelved for a short period.

Not going as far as wiring under the bonnet, I haven't got the patience for that! I'm sure yours will be awesome.

I don't know why i'm bothering its just going to be shoved in a perspex case with the bonnet shut but at least ill know its wired i'm sure yours will continue along the same polished way as you have built it so far

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I don't know why i'm bothering its just going to be shoved in a perspex case with the bonnet shut but at least ill know its wired i'm sure yours will continue along the same polished way as you have built it so far
It's all about what makes us happy! It's the knowing that we know what's been done and that we have tried our best to replicate the real thing, although nothing beats the real thing than the real thing, that's why I keep looking out on my driveway hoping to see a nice shiny new GT500 sat there instead of my humdrum Astra!

First Name
Marc
The problem with these kits is we have to live with the inherent flaws within them. Love the paint job dave. Looking very sharp

First Name
Dave
\ said:
The problem with these kits is we have to live with the inherent flaws within them. Love the paint job dave. Looking very sharp
Totally agree with the inherent flaws and having to live with them, but also its the fact that the manufacturer has made the effort to make certain things available to us with flaws or not. I'm sure that you would agree that we really appreciate these efforts made by them and although the flaws are there, sometimes it great that certain flaws are there as it raises the challenge of getting it looking right as long as the flaw isn't too glaringly obvious, the more effort put into a model by us modellers makes the build more worthwhile and the appreciation of the finished model has a longevity about it. :smiling3:

Thanks also for the kind comments Marc, really appreciated.

First Name
Marc
Oh yeah. I mean kits have come a long way since the 90's and the accuracy of the tooling is simply astonishing these days. I also agree that you get more joy and appreciation from a kit that is challenging and tests skills to the limit. Unfortunately though some kits seem to lack certain details that simply just don't seem to make sense from a modeling point of view, but they make sense from cost of manufacturing. Personally I think a 1/12 scale kit with no opening doors is a travesty, and it's got cost cutting all over it which does nothing for the modeler but frustrate.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Oh yeah. I mean kits have come a long way since the 90's and the accuracy of the tooling is simply astonishing these days. I also agree that you get more joy and appreciation from a kit that is challenging and tests skills to the limit. Unfortunately though some kits seem to lack certain details that simply just don't seem to make sense from a modeling point of view, but they make sense from cost of manufacturing. Personally I think a 1/12 scale kit with no opening doors is a travesty, and it's got cost cutting all over it which does nothing for the modeler but frustrate.
I wholeheartedly agree, some of the stuff in the 90 ' was atrocious and sadly some of that stuff is still being moulded and thrown in to new boxes with glitzy box art and unfortunately some of these models are being purchased by 'new to modelling' buyers full of anticipation of producing something stunning and after starting the build realise that the box of plastic bits just don't fit (exactly as they didn't 20 years previous) their enthusiasm falls away and the box of plastic bits ends up as a recycling opportunity. The only kits from the 90 ' that have stood up to the test of time is Tamiya, they are as good today as they were back then and thankfully manufacturers other than Tamiya have kept up by retooling kits and new tools (the words 'new tools' are words to my ears! ) which hopefully will help new modellers succeed and become seasoned modellers. I just hope and pray that the new modellers don't pick up a 1975 re boxed monogram kit under the revell banner, these I think are only be suitable for a modeller that wants a challenge and not a quick build. I think manufacturers should be more honest and advertise the fact that the kit in the box is one of the older generation of kits and up the skill level accordingly (I am aware that revell do this with their re boxed offerings of matchbox stuff, but only if you read the small print....It just says 'classic moulding'!)

And yes, marketing a 1/12 kit without opening doors and other items amiss such as moulded in windscreen wipers, non posable front wheels is most certainly a travesty, especially considering that apart from opening doors, the rest has been done in 1/24 scale.