1/24 Airfix Spitfire (the new one)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As above, this will be an attempt to build the Airfix's big new Spitfire.

I’ve been wondering which aircraft to represent with this model. I want a standard Mk IX, to represent the majority of the thousands built, rather than some exotic scheme. To that end I’m going to attempt EN398, a Spitfire made famous as J-EJ when it became ‘Johnnie’ Johnson’s personal aircraft when he was leading the Kenley Wing. I won’t be making JE-J (again!), but rather will be making this model of EN398 as it was as a new aircraft, flown by Flying Officer Ian Keltie of No. 402 (RCAF) Squadron in the spring of 1943, coded either AE-I (February) or AE-B (March).

The only element of exotica might be the Popeye nose art. According to Keltie, several of the squadron’s aircraft sported Disney cartoon characters, though in his words, “whether they had any significance for the pilots or ground crew, other than just being fun, I don’t know”. Keltie did not remember when it was applied but the aircraft was not delivered with it and it must have been applied at the squadron, probably at the same time as the code letters were applied, but which ones?

This is one of the options in the kit:

P1010576.JPG

Relevant history, the aircraft first flew on 13/2/43 and was delivered to 402 Squadron on 18/2/43 and then coded AE-I. In March (Keltie thought 1/3/43) it was re-coded AE-B. Keltie’s last mission in this aircraft was on 13/3/43, so my window is quite small, just 13 days.

Johnson arrived at Kenley on 16/3/43 and, being a Wing Commander, seems to have ‘acquired’ this aircraft.

The plan is to build this out of the box, though I will be using masks and painting many of the markings.

Anyway, I won't bore you with a load of pictures of plastic on sprues. I'm sure that's been done better by someone else elsewhere! Suffice to say that on a first look it all looks very nicely and cleanly molded, though I did notice one or two ejector pin marks in interesting places. Here's just one picture, showing the nice detail on the lower fuselage/main plane.

P1010577.JPG

It'll be an interrupted build (work), but hopefully not never ending :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good too see you back at the cutting mat Steve!

ATB.

Andrew

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have one i the stash so I am going to keep an eye on this one before I attempt to start mine

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one steve , impressive surface detail .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good stuff Steve. I’ve seen one of these face to face, Airfix have made a nice job of it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff Steve. I’ve seen one of these face to face, Airfix have made a nice job of it.
I've seen a few pictures of completed models, but not one with the engine covers on, which is a bit suspicious.

I suppose we'll find out whether it can be built with the complete and very nice looking Merlin and the covers on. I want mine to have, or be capable of having, all the covers on.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, time for some first impressions.

I'm just a bloke who makes models, I've no dog in any fight, I'm just honestly writing about how I've found the contents of the box. Hopefully that might inform and help anyone else who is planning to take a swing at this kit.

So far I've put together the seat.

seat.jpg

It's really not much different to the many 1/32 scale Spitfire seats I've built over the years.
The fit has been good. I know it's not many pieces, but it's enough to go wrong, so that's definitely a positive and encouraging for the rest of the build.
There are four prominent ejector pin marks on the back of the seat, two of which will be obscured by the armour when fitted. I've noticed a few of these, some will have to be dealt with.
The plastic is quite soft, not like the buttery stuff in some limited run kits I've built, but certainly softer than, say, Tamiya or that hard stuff used by Zoukei-Mura. I don't mind this at all, but I was surprised and thought it worth a mention.
Even the few parts I've cut so far did require a bit of clean up. You can probably see that in the picture. There were some seam lines etc. to deal with.

Next up, drilling out the lightening holes in the fuselage frames. I've had to do that on every Spitfire by every manufacturer I've ever built, so this is not a criticism. It's probably got something to do with the way these things are molded, but what would I know :smiling3:

Onwards and upwards!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've primed a few bits 'n' bobs and have taken a look at the cockpit. I'm also resizing my photos as the previous were rather big files!

It comes in essentially three big bits, two sides and a bottom (to which I've already added some parts).

cockpit1.jpg

The three eventually fit together, but not until a LOT of small detail parts are fitted to the side walls and the instrument panel is complete. Kudos to Airfix for this bit as the fit is excellent. The three parts literally snap together.

cockpit2.jpg

Did I mention a LOT of detail parts? Guess what I'm doing next.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A couple of things have come up in the detail painting.

First, Airfix would have you paint a lot of the pipework in the canopy in a brass colour. That's fine and would make it pop nicely, but the Supermarine painting instructions specifically state that this pipework should receive a grey primer and then be painted in the cockpit colour (interior green). Of course, it's up to you, but mine will be green.

Second, the extent of the interior green in the rear of the cockpit. The late Spitfire expert Edgar Brooks wrote that, "The cockpit green extended back to (and included) frame 12 (the former at the rear of the non-sliding glass)", and that's what I'll do. Airfix would have you paint the are between the frame at the back of the pilot's seat and frame 12 (the area under the non sliding 'glass') silver.
Aluminium paint or unpainted metal (painting of the rear fuselage was discontinued on the Mk IX in September 1943) in an area which might reflect sunlight and compromise the camouflage seems like a bad idea to me, which is why I will take it back to the rear of the non sliding glass, as Edgar suggested.
However, a lot of models and restorations look like this:

TeaDRC.jpg
Again, it's up to you!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
And....there is a harness provided in the kit..

Normally I would add my own, but in the spirit of 'out of the boxness' I'm going to use this plastic molded version. I've drilled out the eyes of the fastenings and attempted to start thinning down the plastic a bit. That was going to end in tears, so it will be what it is, after a bit of a tidy up.

harness.jpg

I give Airfix a lot of credit for this.

It might not be at the standard of a fifteen quid harness from HGW, or even the photo-etch versions in some of Tamiya's 'uber kits'. It's plastic and quite thick, but I reckon I can make it look pretty good even though I've chickened out of skiving it to make it thinner. I'll just take off the back edges a bit. It's a lot better than not having one and then moaning about having to pay to buy an aftermarket one!

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
This was the only thing I wanted from Santa but he mustn't of gotten my letter, so I'm going to live vicariously through you.......

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good to see a build from your 'Cave' Steve. And the new Airfix super kit to boot!
It does look a great kit.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good to see a build from your 'Cave' Steve. And the new Airfix super kit to boot!
It does look a great kit.
Yeah, it's been a while. I just seem not to have had either the time or inclination to take something on. I had a very busy Post-Covid year, as did many in what we broadly term the entertainment industry. Everyone was trying to cash in and make up for a disastrous 18 months where a lot of people earned literally nothing. I finished a tour on 17th December and have stomped my foot and said I'm not doing that for a while, but have still got some commitments in January/February (including next week in fact). I've definitely got the inclination now, so I'll just have to make the time!

It does look a nice kit. In all honesty it is not to the standard of some I could mention, but it's a lot better than most. You get a lot for the admittedly significant money, it ain't cheap. It's a world away from the old 1970s (?) big Airfix Spitfire. I've certainly not yet come across anything that would cause anybody any trouble and so far it is all going nicely.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good so far Steve. The belts will look decent under paint. Just paint the edges darker than the sides to disguise them a bit.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I've seen a few pictures of completed models, but not one with the engine covers on, which is a bit suspicious.

I suppose we'll find out whether it can be built with the complete and very nice looking Merlin and the covers on. I want mine to have, or be capable of having, all the covers on.
Steve looking at a few YouTube builds the instructions for the Merlin engine follow two paths if you want to display the engine fully built the side panels won't fit and if want the side panels on you have to build a basic engine.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Basic engine then! I'll want the covers to fit one way or another. I'll just build enough to hang a propeller and any intakes etc.

It's the same for the guns, certainly the cannon. The covers won't fit over the fully assembled armament.

I don't have any issue with this. If you want to display all the gubbins you can and if not, you don't have to. I'd never do both anyway. Once mine are done they just sit on a shelf :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Steve and good to see you back at the the bench,!!