1/48 ME-109 E3 and FW-190 A8 build

T

-tmm-

Finally got the 109 finished off, though for some reason I have been incapable of taking a non blurry photo of it. This is about the best I could do.

I attempted to find a contemporary photograph of this aircraft but have been unable to find any. Does one exist? I probably should have checked on this first before deciding on (admittedly the easiest) colour scheme.

The FW-190 is still in the same state as despite believing I had ordered the paints I needed, it turned out I had not. Maybe it was a subconscious decision on my part as I am quite terrified of doing the camo this time.

View attachment 36715

e4c56865.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There must be,the red "Hollehund" (not a griffin by the way) was an early emblem of 9./JG 26 which was one of the Luftwaffe's most famous units.The vertical bar behind the cross is for III Gruppe. At this time each Gruppe comprised of only three Staffeln so a quick bit of division will give you the ninth Staffel (9./JG 26) in the third Gruppe (III./ JG 26).

Is it supposed to be Galland's aircraft?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

-tmm-

\ said:
Is it supposed to be Galland's aircraft?
According to the paint guide, yes. Searching for his aircraft didnt reveal anything, so I'll do another search using the above info. Give me something USAAF and I'll usually find it, but I'm clueless when it comes to Luftwaffe.

Cheers.

Chris

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well Galland was not exactly publicity shy,though this is one of his early aircraft. There was nothing in my Galland folder,but with my filing that doesn't mean much as I did find a nice picture of Werner Moelders in there!

I've got some JG 26 books but the house is upside down due to SWMBO's latest project and my books are stacked about ten feet high. I'll bet that the Tamiya profile is based on photographic evidence.

Cheers

Steve

T

-tmm-

Yes, I'm sure it must have been. I did find a couple of shots of that groups aircraft with the same colour scheme, so that will do for now. Cheers.

T

-tmm-

Managed to get a slightly better pic of the 109

And also (at long last) made a start on the painting for the FW 190. My first real attempt at doing German camo. I'm not particularly happy with it, but am hoping it'll look better once the decals are on.

J

John Huggins

Not a plane man myself but that look's stunning, nice one.

T

-tmm-

Thanks guys. It was my first time trying to do the mottle type camo with a brush, so although I'm not completely happy with it, it could have been worse. Also had trouble with the black stripe on the side. I had considered painting it, but ended up using the decal but no amount of micro sol would make it hug the detailing underneath.

R

roconnell

Hi Chris, two top models, well done and and thanks for sharing!

Rich

First Name
Curt
You have done a very nice job on both planes. I am a Me-109 fan and a FW-190 fan so these planes are my favorites. Your building and painting of these kits are very good. And the build quality looks great! It is nice to see you getting back to the hobby. I have a hard time getting time to do modeling with a new baby. 1:48 scale is my favorite scale to work in. I think I need glasses because it is getting harder to see the small parts. It is a challenging scale as is 1:72 scale due to the small parts. You did a very nice job on the interior detail. Keep up the good work!

Curt