109E color questions

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's pretty cool! The biggest problem is the shadows, highly visible in photo reconnaissance but there are many techniques to break them up and 'hide' them.

One photo I saw in a camouflage book showed a brilliantly camouflaged aerodrome, except for the area of black skid marks in the landing area which gave the runway away. All that hard work compromised by one small detail :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Strange that Tamiya did not include the werk# decal for any of the planes in this kit. Would JG 26 White 12 have had a werk# on the tail??

To late now anyway, the final clearcoat is on

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There would have been a werknummer on the fin. It is usually left off decal sheets when it is not known.

I've seen it claimed that Munchenberg received a new aircraft in Sicily (W.Nr. 3826) but that doesn't agree with other sources which agree that JG 26 received there Emils months earlier. The photos of 'White 12' don't support the idea that it was factory fresh either.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx , that makes sence.

What weathering would be expected on white 12 ? I suppose in Europe it would be relatively light, maybe slight prop leading edge chipping and a little on the left wingroot walkway only?

Was Muncheberg in France aswell during '40 with this plane?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Was Muncheberg in France aswell during '40 with this plane?

Theuns
From memory III./JG 26 was withdrawn from France in the early summer of 1940 and were re-equipped and made good losses from the Battle of France whilst in Germany. The unit certainly returned to France in time for the Battle of Britain in late July/early August (I haven't checked exactly).

7./JG 26 was detached from the rest of the group moving to Gela in Sicily during February 1941, taking their Bf 109 Es with them. They were then stationed at various places in Sicily and North Africa, not returning to convert to the Bf 109 F until September 1941.

If, as we suspect, III./JG 26 received their new Emils in late 1940 then they certainly served over the winter of 1940 in France.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I did a bit of research on Muchenberg when I built his 'White 1'. He is credited with 135 enemy aircraft shot down claimed in over 500 combat missions. The majority of his victories were claimed over the Western Front with 33 claims over the Eastern Front. Of his 102 aerial victories achieved over the Western Allies, 46 were Spitfires.

Muchenberg claimed 14 kills during the Battle of Britain and was promoted Staffelkapitan of JG26 during that time.

'White 1' was depicted in February 1941 in Sicily. So I suppose 'White 12' was a replacement machine for some reason. I was interested that 'White 1', being so late in the piece, lacked any mottle camouflage. Maybe 'White 1' was his Battle of Britain period aircraft?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
'White 1' was an E-4. White 12 was an E-7/N. I'd be surprised if Munchenberg wasn't flying 'White 12' by preference in early 1941, it certainly carried his pennant, though I know he flew both from Sicily.

It was the E-7s that other 7./JG 7 log books show to have been delivered in late 1940, before the change of camouflage schemes and long before the move to the Mediterranean.

'White 12' may have had the werknummer 4148, but I can't find the source from which I took that. It was well photographed.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Now that is really cool info guys, thanx a lot! :-D

I am basically done with the build, just a few toutches to go still.

Interesting to see that the location of some of the stencling for fuel decals in the kit is not the same as the pix.

eg. the fuel filler tryangle in the pix just above the "2" is shown in the kit as to be placed infront of the "S shield" on the nose.

Also the handgrip in the pix seem not to be "outlined" as the decal does.

Agh well, it was still a fun build, really enjoyable.

Also interesting to see that the props did not have the tips painted yellow or white.......very easy to walk into a spinning prop!

Stave, is that the man himself in those pix? Would be cool to make a base with one of those pix :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Damn! just looked at the decal instructions now and there is shows the fuel decal I plainly omited!

I should probarbly next time look at the stencil location AND the other decal instruction together and not assume all stencling will be the same on all planes.

Maybe time for glasses LOL

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
These are he.

Official portrait.

In Sicily.

On Galland's left (right as we look). This is earlier, around September 1940.

Sicily again.

The Luftwaffe never did paint bands or coloured tips on their propellers. I've no idea why not as most other air forces did and still do.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Guys, what would the colors be for the flying uniform worn by aircrew during this time? Same for the ground crew please.

I have some crew members I would like to add to the model.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There were a lot of different variations. Are you looking to add figures to a scene in Sicily?

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

I am not really specific on what period of theater of OPS. mayby Sisily as my grandfather was an Spit Mechanic for the SAAF/RAF there and north Africa

The figures I have are of a pilot in flying suite being helped by a ground member in long trousers and long sleeve shirt to strap it chute on.

Both have the typical "banana" flightcaps on.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The 'banana cap' the pilot (and possibly the mechanic) is wearing was called a 'fliegermutze' and would be grey-blue in colour. Officers and other ranks differed slightly in detail but not shape. I doubt you will be worried about differences in piping at 1/48 scale.

The ground crew member might be wearing a 'drillichmutze' which was a black cotton version of the blue-grey woollen 'fliegermutze'. It would give a bit of variation to the personnel.

I haven't seen your figures, but the mechanic is probably wearing a two piece 'drillichanzug'. At various times this combination was produced in unbleached cotton termed 'rohgrau' or raw grey which describes the colour, a sort of off white/grey, and also in black. The choice is yours at this period.

There was also a one piece work overall called an 'arbeitsschutzanzug', these came in raw grey, dark blue and black.

Is the pilot in a one piece flying suit or a combination of jacket/blouse and trousers? It makes a difference.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Looking at it now Steve, the pilot seems to be leather clad?? Maybe it was to hot for the Med OPS?

Here is the link to what I have (the two lads far right)

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/misc/figures/icm/48082.htm

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mmmmm! the ground crew guy looks to be wearing a 'fliegerbluse' and 'tuchhose', rather than work wear. The colour in the illustration is a good guide.

The pilot is wearing a 'Kombination, Sommer' which was a one piece flying suit made of a durable 'braunmelliert' cloth, not leather. Again the box art is a good guide to colour, it did vary a bit.

A remarkable fact about this flight suit is that it was designed to be worn OVER a life jacket and incorporated a quick release a bit like a parachute rip cord to allow access to the inflation bottle of the life jacket in an emergency. Most aircrew didn't wear it that way, preferring to wear the life jacket on the out side. Eventually the chest loops for the oxygen hose were moved so as not to be obstructed by the life vest, a tacit admission by the Luftwaffe that the vests were normally worn outside the flight suit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Cool thanx Steve, so if I do it like the box it should be realtively close to what Munsheberg and crew would be wearing in Sicily?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Certainly the ground crew. Several are wearing versions of that uniform in the pictures above.

Honestly, most pictures of Muncheberg in flying gear show him wearing some kind of uniform trousers and, on top, like many officers, he seems often to be wearing a non-standard jacket.

Whether he wore a summer combination I don't know. Many of the photographs of him and his aircraft are posed propaganda photographs, not genuine 'action' shots.

Cheers

Steve