28mm North Star dwarf personalities

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Losfa words I am!!
Absolutely incredible looking figures indeed there Tim!
As Steve said earlier,"Jaw dropping"........ sums it up perfectly :smiling3:
Definitely something magical,(supernatural almost),going on with your painting talent mate.....
Maybe we ought to call you "Merlin" from now on eh?! ;)
Andy
Wow, reign in the superlatives there Andy mate…you’ll give me a complex……really kind of you though.
As to Merlin, well, after those compliments you can call me what you like, I don’t have a beard though :flushed:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's been said already, Tim, these are really lovely. Smooth blends, consistent style, beautifully finished.

And not only have you painted eyes, I'm sure I can see a painted sparkle in the King's eye - most impressive.

Re. technique - do you use oil wash, e.g. on the drum, or is that acrylic wash, or just (really good!) shading?

And how long do these take to finish?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It's been said already, Tim, these are really lovely. Smooth blends, consistent style, beautifully finished.

And not only have you painted eyes, I'm sure I can see a painted sparkle in the King's eye - most impressive.

Re. technique - do you use oil wash, e.g. on the drum, or is that acrylic wash, or just (really good!) shading?

And how long do these take to finish?
Hi Paul
Thanks for the comments, they are really valued.
There is no sparkle I’m afraid……I can see what you mean though. I think it’s an artefact caused by the white of the eye.
I don’t use oil washes any longer. I did use them a little back in my Humbrol days, but oils and acrylics aren’t great bedfellows. Acrylic paint doesn’t cover oils very well because of the oil/water immiscibility issue.
I use Vallejo washes for some things, faces, furs, and sometimes hair, but not on that drum. If you mean the red on the drum it’s just shading. I started at the darkest, black red I think, and worked up to the core red, which I think was dark red. Black red and hull red are great under layers for red finishes, and cavalry red makes a good mid shadow tone.
As to time, I spent a little longer on these than I do on the rank and flank guys. I don’t record it, but I would think thirty minutes to clean, wash, and zenital prime. After that, probably a maximum of three sessions of around an hour to paint, then another quarter of an hour or so for varnishing and basing. Obviously some of the stages, priming, basing, varnishing for example overlap so save some time. I would say three to four hours per figure for these is a reasonable guess. Rank and flank of this period are probably two hours each. Plain uniforms, such as basic British WW2 infantry would cut this down to about an hour plus cleaning, priming, varnishing, and basing. Mind you, if they were Napoleonics I’d probably still be painting them LOL…..

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It has to happen, the committee were bowled over with these Tim, great skill indeed.
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png
Congratulations.

Matron smiled to herself and promptly started to sharpen her needle. Heard muttering as she wondered off Rick and Tim " a visit I think "

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The King is rightly dressed in blue/indigo as the dye for that fabrique material was specific for nobalty and the rich being hard to come by.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It has to happen, the committee were bowled over with these Tim, great skill indeed.
View attachment 454761
Congratulations.

Matron smiled to herself and promptly started to sharpen her needle. Heard muttering as she wondered off Rick and Tim " a visit I think "
Thanks the committee for me John, it’s very much appreciated. I would do it myself but I’m off to hide from Matron…..will Guatemala be far enough do you think?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The King is rightly dressed in blue/indigo as the dye for that fabrique material was specific for nobalty and the rich being hard to come by.

Cheers,
Richard
The man in the street used Woad for a blue dye Richard. Richer colours came from imported indigo though. The rarest dye was Tyrian purple, obtained from murex shells and only allowed to be worn by nobility in Roman times, for example…... Apparently this colour didn’t fade, it got more purple over time……

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks the committee for me John, it’s very much appreciated. I would do it myself but I’m off to hide from Matron…..will Guatemala be far enough do you think?
Tim, unfortunately Matron is like a heat seeking missile, bit like the advert for JL , where as they said "never knowingly undersold " Matron's is " Never knowingly escaped " Good luck.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just noticed these, bit late to the party here but wow, these are exceptionally good! This is as good as it gets in my opinion; can't see how you can surpass these figures. Try some Zvezda 1/72 scale military figures next Tim!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just noticed these, bit late to the party here but wow, these are exceptionally good! This is as good as it gets in my opinion; can't see how you can surpass these figures. Try some Zvezda 1/72 scale military figures next Tim!
Thanks Gavin, very kind comments.
There is a thread on here where I painted some of those 20mm Germans Gavin, doing an SBS as I went along. It’s in the Simon T tribute group build if you want to look them out. It can be found here….