3ft (1/84) scale model cutty sark (wood)

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good jim, could I suggest in the future you keep the pins in line on the planking will look so much neater. Keep at it.

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
OK ken but the pins are under neath the planks, the decks are just glued down over the top, and in stead of ordinary glue I'm using gorilla wood glue holding time of 10mintues to 20 mintues and it does hold but service drying time 24 hrs cost £5 from b&q

james pithouse

First Name
James
trust me that's why they call it GORILLA WOOD GLUE AND SAME FOR SUPER GLUE IT HOLDS FAST:D

A

american

Good start, good luck!! I like this ship! Crack on with it!!!

D

Deleted member 3568

Referring to this jimhttp://www.scale-models.co.uk/attachments/wp_20151111_18_28_18_pro-jpg.136745/ they are definitely not under the planks, and actually not to scale if I may say, also check the instructions I'm not sure that you would have found any planks long enough to run the length of the deck as you have them also I'm not sure they would curve as you have them, I would imagine they would be the same as the ones you put on the stern, they would be straight and not follow the curve of the hull. Sorry if I seem to be getting on at you but I think you have an awesome kit there and I would love for you to do a great job of it.

james pithouse

First Name
James
OK! OK! give me a chance I'll do more to it tomorrow as I am not rushing this

D

Deleted member 3568

Ok jim definitely don't want you to rush it I know this is your first plank on frame build, so take all the time you need.

james pithouse

First Name
James
hi ken that's how the kit was cut out in sections and I did make sure all the parts were level across the top and at 90 degree angle to the keel and it just started curving that way when I started pining it :rolleyes::cool: :P :D

james pithouse

First Name
James
I will. By the way ken I have got gloss varnish which I brought for the paddle steamer will it hold stick to water based paint as the instruction said to use water based paint to paint the hull and then varnish it afterwoods but the instructions said nothing about which varnish to use. :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Jim I'm talking about the planking you've added which runs on the top of the deck from stern to prow (rear to front) you have it following the curve of the hull as inherehttp://www.scale-models.co.uk/attachments/wp_20151114_20_12_42_pro-jpg.137114/ it should not be curving the deck from side to side should be, as you have it, try googling the cutty sark decking, they may have done the decking that way on a much smaller ship like my bruma yacht but not ona ship this huge, you would struggle to get a plank more than 30 feet long and imagine trying to bend it to that degree and obviously the further inboard you got the more acute (curved) the bend would become.

D

Deleted member 3568

Oh sorry missed out a point as to the varnish as long as the whatever water based paints you used were dry you can use whatever varnish you like, oh and what about the bottom of the hull that was copper plated, do they supply the copper plates or are you supposed to paint it copper, if so when you get to that point (many many months down the line) let me know and I will tell you how to copper leaf it.

james pithouse

First Name
James
in the instructions ken they did not put copper in for the bottom half of the hull, it's only varnished:p:D

D

Deleted member 3568

Well she was copper bottomed, don't worry be months before you get to that.

D

Deleted member 3568

Jim those strips should be let in to the planking running round the outside on on top of them.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Before you start planking that hull.......... Clamp the keel firmly on a board. Otherwise it'll twist like a "bitch".

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Jim I'm talking about the planking you've added which runs on the top of the deck from stern to prow (rear to front) you have it following the curve of the hull as inherehttp://www.scale-models.co.uk/attachments/wp_20151114_20_12_42_pro-jpg.137114/ it should not be curving the deck from side to side should be, as you have it, try googling the cutty sark decking, they may have done the decking that way on a much smaller ship like my bruma yacht but not ona ship this huge, you would struggle to get a plank more than 30 feet long and imagine trying to bend it to that degree and obviously the further inboard you got the more acute (curved) the bend would become.
I rather think the plank ends should be staggered. A third of a plank at time with a combing around the hatches and gunwhales.