A pair of shelf Queens - 1/700 Yamato & Hyuga

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Very interesting Dave. The Sasebo colour is markedly different from the other two isn’t it. I can imagine those two being different paintshop interpretations, but not the Sasebo.
The info comes from the 1945-46 U.S. Naval Technical Mission to Japan, which gives exhaustive, complicated & confusing information about Japanese Navy ship colours. Given that the contemporary photos are in B & W, I'm not surprised that disputes over colours for models is not uncommon - I'm going my own interpretation way for painting..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OH B****R :angry: I have just finished the Hyuga, I picked up the Yamato box - looking through the parts I realise that the funnel & after bridge are missing. The sprues are empty. I can't remember seeing them, so that may have been the reason why this became a shelf queen. Oh well, :sad: the bits can go back into the box! - I'll keep an eye out for a cheap unfinished Yamato on Ebay, but there's a lot more in the stash that I can pick out, so no time will be lost in getting something else on the bench - maybe a a car?
I'll put up pictures of the sole finished shelf queen in the completed section tomorrow
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Looking at the three colours you've posted i'd agree with Tim about the last two,
however the sasebo looks to me to be very similar to Tamiya's IJN Grey (XF-77).. I used this on a kinetic Sea Harrier I did a while back and the finish looked very very close to EDSG

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking at the three colours you've posted i'd agree with Tim about the last two,
however the sasebo looks to me to be very similar to Tamiya's IJN Grey (XF-77).. I used this on a kinetic Sea Harrier I did a while back and the finish looked very very close to EDSG
Makes you wonder how many different names the same formulation of paint can be sold under!!!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry to hear about the Yamato Dave. Hope your do manage to find some spares cheap somewhere, I was looking forward to seeing this finished.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry to hear about the Yamato Dave, I get the same when I realise why I shelved a kit not remembering why. But the Hyuga looks good. I have both the six turret and hybrid versions but will make one as the sister ship Ise. 1/700 ships are a great challenge now with new molds, wooden decks and AM parts...little gems
The daily 1 hour hand exercise building will keep you hands from stiffening. Hope the pain recedes.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The colors come from the 3 Naval yards the ships were built and I refer to the Imperial Japanese Navy page...combinedfleet.com as to where the ships were built for their base colors.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble