A Problem on the Ponte Rivetto Contatore...Fusilli, Italy 1944

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Been watching from the cheap seats Ron,
Cracking work and entertaining blog too ;).
I'm enjoying following this as much as you're enjoying building it I reckon :smiling3:
Very sensible idea to recycle that Tiger..... As for whether it would have been in situ at that time....
... WHO CARES!!!! It's a superb scene mate!
Andy

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gerry, I've just read your latest post, what an amazing coincidence. (Sort of) ;)

Thanks Andy. Yes, I must confess to enjoying it too. With dioramas, I find I never know just what is around the corner. I always start off with the vaguest of ideas and hope summat comes along that I can incorporate into the model..... That is the fun.

Here's the start of the damage on t'other side of the river. Far less destruction.
P1300099.JPG

P1300100.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry, I've just read your latest post, what an amazing coincidence. (Sort of) ;)
With dioramas, I find I never know just what is around the corner. I always start off with the vaguest of ideas and hope summat comes along that I can incorporate into the model..... That is the fun.
Cheers,
Ron
The one that I'm planning on, has been simmering away for years, it's relating a incident that happened to the house we're living in (January 1940) - did think of doing it in 1/24, but scaled back to reality now! ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570, can't beat a bit of damage and debri. The hurling technique is indeed the way to go.
Yours.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the most excellent input, chaps.

Yes, indeedy 453. Sling the stuff at it, I say. The harder the better!

Update.
Another bit of re-cycled Axis metal from the dark depth of my loft. One of those Armourfast 2 in a box kits. Great fun. All the running gear is in one piece. Around 12 parts in total for the kit.
P1300130.JPG

As the outcome for this tank won't be nice, I haven't bothered with any 'Finery', just three colour camo. brushed on, and then an all over slurry of a light stone shade paint to dust it up and subdue the colours a bit. No frills brush painting - Luvverrly!
P1300148.JPG

Nearly time for a bit of experimental placements, me thinks.....

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The buildings are looking good with a suitable amount of rubble Ron, looking forward to seeing how you get on with the wrecked armour.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rick H and Graeme C, thanks for your nice posts.

I've wrecked the walkway walls where necessary and added what I think will be enough rubble to the most damaged areas.
A bit of p.v.a., then, as with the first 'Layer', I just tipped a mixture of bits onto the model from a dizzy height - And left it alone!

I know I harp on a bit about rubble and debris, but I think you can never have enough of the stuff. Pile it on. Apart from the actual building off-cuts, make it out of anything to hand and paint it all different shades and colours. Then tip it on the diorama. Don't start pushing things around "That doesn't look right. I'll move this and that." Leave it all alone. A shell hit isn't fussy what goes where......

Anyway, enough lecturing.

I still have a few bits and bobs to add, but it's nearly there.

P1300105.JPG

P1300111.JPG

P1300108.JPG

P1300106.JPG

P1300112.JPG

P1300113.JPG

P1300114.JPG

P1300115.JPG

Time to add the players. ;)

Cheers boys, and thanks for your continued interest. All much appreciated - And how!

Blaster Bates and Fred Dibnah (Destroyers Extrordinaire)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for the most excellent input, chaps.

Yes, indeedy 453. Sling the stuff at it, I say. The harder the better!

Update.
Another bit of re-cycled Axis metal from the dark depth of my loft. One of those Armourfast 2 in a box kits. Great fun. All the running gear is in one piece. Around 12 parts in total for the kit.
View attachment 424092

As the outcome for this tank won't be nice, I haven't bothered with any 'Finery', just three colour camo. brushed on, and then an all over slurry of a light stone shade paint to dust it up and subdue the colours a bit. No frills brush painting - Luvverrly!
View attachment 424093

Nearly time for a bit of experimental placements, me thinks.....

Cheers,
Ron
You've got to love Armourfast!!!

It's what made me back to the hobby and my son interested in it. These we're amongst the first kits we got. He was only six at the time and so were perfect.

I still occasionally build them even now.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simply loving the Dio setting Ron.

To notch work as always.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After surveying the damage you have inflicted upon this unfortunate Italian Village, I couldn't help visualizing JR traipsing down the streets with a book of matches in one hand and a litre of petrol in the other!:tongue-out3: All the while being chased by a very cross Matron with a very large net in one hand and a very long hypo needle in the other!!!.......now that's my idea of a couple of "players". Your "Rubble and Debris" tutorial is second to none 570......this is right up there with the "Clacker and Rourke's Drift" Sir. Keep up the good work. Rick H. :thumb2:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
It is so sad that those landlords will be fined for having opened new windows and doors in their properties and changed their houses' airspace intended use without a proper authorization from the City administration... very, very bad but... lex, dura lex, sed lex... :sad-face: .... unless JR manage to do his job before Matron's needle reaches his most secluded parts; no real estates, no fines! :rolling: :tongue-out3:.
Ron, very nice job, following with high interest.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All great comments chaps, they keeps my juices flowing! :flushed:

My severest critic (Guess who?!) looked over my shoulder at some pictures of the progress of this and suggested it might need some sort of background.

So, as it's not nice outside, I set to this morning and did as I was told.

I hope it will sit behind and partially fill in the gaps between the buildings on the model....

The first attempt didn't have any damage, she had a blimp and said it should.......

Here is the result.
Brush painted in water colours.
P1300160.JPG

I realise plenty of my buddies on here who dabble in sketching and painting will already know, but when doing something like the above, the more the detail, the closer stuff will look. Less detail, the further away the buildings will appear to be. This is what I've tried to do with the above sketch.

I will probably cut around the buildings, then add some black thread to replace the wires I've done in the picture - We'll see. This could give me a chance to incorporate any nice sky that floats by into the final photos.

Cheers,
Ron