A Problem on the Ponte Rivetto Contatore...Fusilli, Italy 1944

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Very artistic Ron, should go very nicely as a background to the buildings.:thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ron, why not have a look at images off the net for the area that you're doing and use a photo as a backdrop?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for the most excellent comments, boys.

You can blame the present Mrs. Ron for the painting's inclusion. Not I!.;)

Gerry, no thanks. I always make my own. In any case, it's far more fun and rewarding than using a photo and I get great satisfaction in trying to produce stuff with my hands and if the end result is good enough for me, then I can ask for no more.....

Apart from anything else, my knowledge of computers is virtually zero. Just how I like it too. ( I don't even possess, nor want, a mobile phone!)

Thanks again, Folks.

Ron

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
No worries Ron, I enjoy sketching, sometimes with watercolours as well, but not really 'up' for doing landscapes and the detail required for a backdrop.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Rick H and Graeme C, thanks for your nice posts.

I've wrecked the walkway walls where necessary and added what I think will be enough rubble to the most damaged areas.
A bit of p.v.a., then, as with the first 'Layer', I just tipped a mixture of bits onto the model from a dizzy height - And left it alone!

I know I harp on a bit about rubble and debris, but I think you can never have enough of the stuff. Pile it on. Apart from the actual building off-cuts, make it out of anything to hand and paint it all different shades and colours. Then tip it on the diorama. Don't start pushing things around "That doesn't look right. I'll move this and that." Leave it all alone. A shell hit isn't fussy what goes where......

Anyway, enough lecturing.

I still have a few bits and bobs to add, but it's nearly there.

View attachment 424123

View attachment 424124

View attachment 424125

View attachment 424126

View attachment 424127

View attachment 424128

View attachment 424129

View attachment 424130

Time to add the players. ;)

Cheers boys, and thanks for your continued interest. All much appreciated - And how!

Blaster Bates and Fred Dibnah (Destroyers Extrordinaire)
Blaster Bates! Wow, a real blast from the past (pun intentional) - remember the sketch about the dog turd? Saw him way back and still have him on vinyl - brilliant!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Steve. I didn't think anyone would recognize the great man's name.

I too Have his L.P. 'A Thousand and one Geligdelights' or something similar.....

My favourite is his telling of when the car racing circuit at Oulton Park was being built and how the Area 'Knicker Brook' got its name - Certainly not for a family forum!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For those that don’t know......probably all the overseas contingent for starters....

Now, does anyone remember the guy that did chemistry lectures on stored energy and explosives....I saw him once, but can’t remember his name! I do remember that at the start of the lecture he had several sealed test tubes of water with kit Bunsen burners under them around the stage, and throughout the lecture one or another would explode at random......

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
All great comments chaps, they keeps my juices flowing! :flushed:

My severest critic (Guess who?!) looked over my shoulder at some pictures of the progress of this and suggested it might need some sort of background.

So, as it's not nice outside, I set to this morning and did as I was told.

I hope it will sit behind and partially fill in the gaps between the buildings on the model....

The first attempt didn't have any damage, she had a blimp and said it should.......

Here is the result.
Brush painted in water colours.
View attachment 424220

I realise plenty of my buddies on here who dabble in sketching and painting will already know, but when doing something like the above, the more the detail, the closer stuff will look. Less detail, the further away the buildings will appear to be. This is what I've tried to do with the above sketch.

I will probably cut around the buildings, then add some black thread to replace the wires I've done in the picture - We'll see. This could give me a chance to incorporate any nice sky that floats by into the final photos.

Cheers,
Ron
That's NOT fair. Not only can you do stunning models...... You paint watercolours to a good standard too.....

Yet again you find me having to contemplate the futility of my modelling existence when compared to yours....:fearful::disappointed2::disappointed2::loudly-crying:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Andrew.
I'm chuffed you like the model and the 'Add-on'

....having to contemplate the futility of my modelling existence when compared to yours....:fearful::disappointed2::disappointed2::loudly-crying:

Last time I felt like this was now't to do with model making, but when I inadvertently 'glanced' at the bloke next to me in a pub toilet! :astonished:

The moral is. Never compare yours with someone else's. Just enjoy what you have/do. Gorrit?! Good boy.:thumb2:

Biggus Dickus.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thank you Andrew.

Last time I felt like this was now't to do with model making, but when I inadvertently 'glanced' at the bloke next to me in a pub toilet! :astonished:

The moral is. Never compare yours with someone else's. Just enjoy what you have/do. Gorrit?! Good boy.:thumb2:

Biggus Dickus.
Ron,
Nowt to do with anything other than looking at a masters work, then comparing with my own work. I enjoy working on the kits or dio that I do, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not equal to doing anything like you or the other masters seem to be able to produce almost on a daily basis.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Things are shaping up Ron I like that Jeep. The buildings are so convincing great job

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron,
Nowt to do with anything other than looking at a masters work, then comparing with my own work. I enjoy working on the kits or dio that I do, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not equal to doing anything like you or the other masters seem to be able to produce almost on a daily basis.

Gerry, as I replied to Andrew's post, never compare your work to what others produce. we all have different styles and approaches.
Be content with your own efforts. Full stop!

Thanks for your post Lee. I'm glad you approve of the build thus far. On the last circuit and a couple of fences left to jump and the jockey has his whip out too!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thank you Andrew.

Biggus Dickus.
All I have to say is, he's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy!