A time for celebration.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Impressive house you’re building there :smiling3: Only thing is, I would set that door on the side into the wall rather than being on top of it. It would let in rain this way :smiling3:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
First pass at the building plaster…this is the first time that I used something other than gypsum board spackle And I am pleased with the results. I haven’t yet committed to filing all of the stone work mortar joints..they are not too deep and I kind of like the depth to provide more detail…thoughts?

I am unsure what I to do with the roof ridge..I have to add flashing at the chimney and have also been working on fascia board and gutters & downspouts. I also removed the previous shingles on the lower roof and replaced them

would the roof ridge have been made of similar materials back in the day? The stone work corners at the chimney and small pilaster next to the house had to be semi filled due to the large gaps when fitted together

IMG_0403.jpegIMG_0401.jpegIMG_0402.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry I never commented before Joe, I must have missed this one. Great work going on here as well. Excellent stuff :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Copper & lead seemed common sealing materials back in the day. Maybe copper or tiles for ridge & copper or lead around chimney. Re-pointing the bricks would not be a priority if you're going to weather heavily showing some neglect.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There should be some kind of ridge tiles on the roof, but these look like wooden tiles and I have no real idea how those are done (all you get around here old terracotta and modern cement roof tiles, which have ridge tiles that look like half a tube, the length of a tile and overlapping each other; these are normally cemented into place).

Strenko J

SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
IMG_0406.jpegIMG_0405.jpegIMG_0404.jpegThanks for the feedback and I think that I have been able to follow some of your recommendations guys. I’ve filled the mortar joints..well at least most of them and have left a few open for decay / neglect etc over the years, the flashings and coping at the roof ridge have been added and I’ve added a small door at the base of the chimney to clean out the soot, ashes, etc. the door canopy is being added to provide a cover for those who will be entering the cafe.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Joe, I doubt that that old Dodge has ever looked as good. You've done a superb job. You're giving the building the same treatment. It's already looking great.

Strenko J

SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
IMG_0418.jpegIMG_0419.jpegIMG_0420.jpegIMG_0421.jpegGood evening everyone and thank you for continuing to follow along. I was able to do some additional painting, including gutters and downspouts. However, they are not yet installed. I was able to add the patina of the copper flashing at the roof. Chimney stacks and doors, shutters and siding. Still a lot of progress to do in the building, including electrical systems, and some other washes and light weathering/highlighting. Thanks for your support so far and I will continue on. have an enjoyable evening everyone

Strenko J

SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
IMG_0426.jpegIMG_0427.jpegIMG_0428.jpegIMG_0429.jpegIMG_0430.jpegI think I’ve now finished building #1, onwards to the next building..I’ve also started assembly of the cast of characters to accompany the Dodge.. I am also adding a scout car ..more to come in future posts. Thanks agin for your comments and following along