AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you Paul and Greg and the others who looked in and liked.
Tomorrow, well today may bring some more paint !
John .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Very nice zimmerit John,

Super base coat too, a reasonable version of Dunkelgelb.

Is there a seam on the barrel?

Looks like a well planned scenario is well underway,

cracking work John

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice zimmerit John,

Super base coat too, a reasonable version of Dunkelgelb.

Is there a seam on the barrel?

Looks like a well planned scenario is well underway,

cracking work John

Regards

Steve H
Steve..... Thanks for looking in and yourkind coments. Yes I did notice that this morning, swear it wasn't there yesterday ! going to have to sort that out. I was pleased with the colour and the first attempt with Zim. Can't remember if the camera is set to faithful, as haven't played with the settings for some time. The yellow does seems very dark this morning, but I assume that is right, and the paint hasn't played up :smiling2:
Might be the odd surprise or two with the diorama, still need to work some things out.Watch this space :flushed:
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Now after a somewhat stressfull day, with pe and bits falling off !!
I do hope the medics could stick back the bits that fell off - ear, finger, foot or something more personal!!
Progress is excellent. Zimm looks great with its coat of paint and very impressed with the generator - definitely a model in itself.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
ThanksJim and Bob
Hi John

I do hope the medics could stick back the bits that fell off - ear, finger, foot or something more personal!!

Progress is excellent. Zimm looks great with its coat of paint and very impressed with the generator - definitely a model in itself.
Jim
Hi Jim.
Yes bit annoying when bits start to fall off, even worse I wasn't wearing my catch all , so spent some time studying the weave on the floor matting. :smiling2: Thanks for staying with this build, it may take some time !!
John.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's coming along a treat John. :thumb2:
Cheers mate.
I've sorted the seam line out this morning, slapped someMr Hobby 500 on and have just primed it. Now hoping to get the first yellow coat on.
John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape very nicely 343. The zim. looks great.....:thumb2:

noR

D

Deleted member 6559

All looking very good indeed John - you're getting well stuck in.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Taking shape very nicely 343. The zim. looks great.....:thumb2:

noR
Thanks Ron....... Pity the instant nails was a no runner, but the Milliput is good and not that expensive, in fact £ 2.90 against £ 6 something.
All looking very good indeed John - you're getting well stuck in.
Thanks Peter........ Going through the camo nearly as fast as one of your figures.:smiling3:

What a day, fantastic. Have to thank Pete Low again, another shell arrived, 3 will far better than 2 waiting to be loaded, I'm going to have to make the wooden wraps that they had.

Started by painting both the wheels sets and the Strum. After checking the paint nos again Gary's list I was off.
With the basic colour done on the wheels I set too using the Panzer Putty. Following the drawing in back and white was a bit odd , so I hatched then drawing in differing directions as the paint changed. This made things a lot simpler.

_MG_3527.JPG_MG_3528.JPG
Note the crane arm covered with a thin sheet of Panzer Putty , this was fun later when I had to remove it. Steve Jones had mention on his build that his putty had slumped, I had said the Panzer Putty was good , well it is. but, even though you can kneed it really thin when its warm it does slump. At the rear of the Sturm later on you will notice a large blob, that had slumped and lay in a great lump .So leaving the model over night is not recommended, once the third coat was dry off it came.

Here the green has been applied, you need to keep turning the model and apply the paint at different angles, so as to get into the edges.

_MG_3529.jpgC2.jpg_MG_3530.jpgC3.jpg
_MG_3537.JPG

Once that second coat had dried I set too and applied the next layer of Panzer Putty,

_MG_3541.jpgC9.jpg
Look at the crane cover, how it didn't pull that handle off I don't know.

_MG_3539.jpgC8.jpg
You can clearly see the previous coat of green on the Putty, as it's slowly absorbed. Like a swamp devouring a carcass.

Once dry I started to remove the Putty , the crane was the most intense part, thinking any second the mast will come odd or the handle break, but nothing , the Putty came off in very long strings as it was so thin.I think if it had been thicker then disaster would have struck. So the revel.

_MG_3527.JPG_MG_3528.JPG_MG_3529.jpgC2.jpg_MG_3530.jpgC3.jpg_MG_3537.JPG_MG_3538.JPG_MG_3541.jpgC9.jpg_MG_3539.jpgC8.jpg_MG_3545.JPG_MG_3546.JPG_MG_3549.JPG_MG_3551.JPG_MG_3552.JPG_MG_3553.JPG_MG_3554.JPG
One happy chappy, I dare say some may think its too hard edged and I should have sprayed it. Well right or wrong method used I though for me it was the best way .

Comments please, and thanks for staying with this.
Back to workshop equipment tomorrow, then wheels , painting those steel rims. Should be fun.

John .

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hiya John,
gotta say, I’m impressed with how well you’ve progressed. The zimm looks great under paint:thumb2: And what a great job with the camouflage....I’m sure no one on here, is up their own bum enough to pick at wether it’s right or wrong:tongue-out2: if your happy we all happy:smiling4:

Good to hear your getting a good result adding the Vallejo flow improver, I bought some a while back, but still would not spray VJ model air consistently (admittedly a very old bottle) but I was able to spray some thinned VJ model colour:upside:

Keep it coming mate:thumb2:
Si

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hiya John,
gotta say, I’m impressed with how well you’ve progressed. The zimm looks great under paint:thumb2: And what a great job with the camouflage....I’m sure no one on here, is up their own bum enough to pick at wether it’s right or wrong:tongue-out2: if your happy we all happy:smiling4:

Good to hear your getting a good result adding the Vallejo flow improver, I bought some a while back, but still would not spray VJ model air consistently (admittedly a very old bottle) but I was able to spray some thinned VJ model colour:upside:

Keep it coming mate:thumb2:
Si
Thanks Si ... Nice comments mate I appreciate it.
I still have to put a couple of drops of thinners in , I do a mix of about 10 drops paint, 3 drops of flow improver and then a couple drops of thinners. With out the thinners it seems too thick, then It sprays beautifully. Remember when I had nothing but trouble with paint, its taken nearly 3 years to get it right.
John

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Cracking paintwork John

Looks the business and the edges will settle with all the fun stuff to come

weathering. washes, chipping, pigments, and and and

nice work John

Regards

Steve H

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cracking paintwork John

Looks the business and the edges will settle with all the fun stuff to come

weathering. washes, chipping, pigments, and and and

nice work John

Regards

Steve H

Thanks Stephen........ Hope you noticed the improved barrel :smiling: Going to do the flecks soon if that s what they are called, well they look like that to me, not dots, maybe more lick a flick with a very small brush, then I can start the weathering .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John - just been having a catch up. That putty is odd stuff isn't it but seems to have worked ok

All coming on nicely :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sounds like you're really having fun with this one. Good results as well as enjoyment-what could be better? PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looks to have worked well. That Panzer Putty is certainly strange stuff. Paint on the used stuff just seems to disappear.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work mate. Glad see I am not the only one suffering from putty sag!:smiling: It seems that this stuff is designed to be used for hours at a time rather than days. I am glad it came out the way you wanted it.

One small thing you may want to consider (If you havnt already:cool:) is the tops of the exhausts. There would be little or no camo showing on the top due to all the exhaust dust so you may want to blacken out those round discs with the five rivets on before you do your pin washes. Just a suggestion - your build your rules:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening gang.
Simon......... Cheers, thank you .
Paul............ Yes indeed. That feeling of its going right, and then it looking better that I had imagined gives you a real lift.
Colin....... Thanks for looking in and for commenting.
Jim.......... Yes weird stuff, this morning I looked in the tin, the lump had gone flat, just a few signs of the green paint left.How long it will last until the paint can no longer absorbed I don't know.
Steve........ I was hoping you would reply, and be kind !! Good point on the exhausts,I will remember to do that :thumb2: at the moment I'm thinking about this 2 color markings on the camo, want it to be early rather than late so looks like it is a sort of fleck to give that dappled light reflection.
Then some serious thought on the weathering, not mud this time ! More dust from street fighting.
Thank you all for your support and kind comments.
John.