Airbrush spray booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I am considering using MRP lacquer paint. I do use lacquers at the moment but not that often. I have a spray booth that vents to the outside but it is only one of those cheapie jobs which may not be really adequate for frequent lacquer use.
I am considering a BenchVent BV 300S-D from Graphicair. Does anyone have experience with this booth.
It is a size I can accommodate and the vent comes from the top of the machine which is important to allow it to fit in the space.

I would value your thoughts.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That’s what I use to spray MRP. It is an excellent booth but you do need to make sure that you change both the main filter and the carbon filter regularly. The carbon filter every six months and the main filter every couple of months.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Barry. Your recommendation plus good reviews generally seem to confirm the choice.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry for highjacking your post Jim.
I would love a proper spraying booth, but two things............
1/ cost
2/modeling room/office not on the outside wall for the fumes exit.

So thinking, would this suffice for a year or two maybe?

Bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s what I use to spray MRP. It is an excellent booth but you do need to make sure that you change both the main filter and the carbon filter regularly. The carbon filter every six months and the main filter every couple of months.
Timescale for filter change does of course depend upon usage hours, but that seems an extremely short life for the main filter Barry? Being a HEPA style filter it should get more efficient with use. Its effectiveness should only be compromised once the airflow across the face drops off. As an example, using a similar system, we used to get about two years out of a dust extraction filter in the dispensing area of our production plant, and operation there was generating a far more aggressive challenge than paint particulates. We used to measure air velocity across the face of the extractor and change the filter when it dropped below a specified value, so I know we were not overusing them.

The carbon filter life, of course, depends upon the solvent being used. Once you can smell hints of residual solvent in the outlet it is time to change it.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Sorry for highjacking your post Jim.
I would love a proper spraying booth, but two things............
1/ cost
2/modeling room/office not on the outside wall for the fumes exit.

So thinking, would this suffice for a year or two maybe?

Bob
My guess is you could pick up a cardboard box for free somewhere, certainly wouldnt spend money on one, especially one thats own manufacturer has named 'terrible' !.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting thoughts Tim. At the moment I change the filter when it looks dirty and if the airflow seems less. Not very scientific I know. There are just so many variables, hours in use, what is sprayed, how much over spray etc. In the great scheme of things I suppose filters are not too expensive and better safe than sorry.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I've already stored away a couple of boxes for the purpose of a booth! I also have a spare extractor fan after a misdiagnosed failure of the shower fan! (It was an isolator issue) Duh!!!
Still I only need a couple of cooker hood filters, some mesh to sandwich the filters between and hopefully be well on the way to build the booth. Some 4 inch flexi hose for extraction at some point.
Some really good vids on YT and loads of advice on here pointed me in the DIY direction. Plus can't justify the money I'm told by higher authority!!!

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys.
Waspie........ Amazon used to waste boxes that only held smaller items, and I left them in the garage (Just in case lol).
But now I've started modeling again and bought an air spray kit. S*ds law i've dumped them
I see one can buy boxes new, so that might be what to do.
I'll just have to buy a box large enough to incorporate a filter, I've already got chicken wire ;)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cheers guys.
Waspie........ Amazon used to waste boxes that only held smaller items, and I left them in the garage (Just in case lol).
But now I've started modeling again and bought an air spray kit. S*ds law i've dumped them
I'll just have to buy a box large enough to incorporate a filter, I've already got chicken wire ;)
Hahaha, my boxes are indeed 'Amazon'! Have you looked at YouTube? Some good designs on there!!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Timescale for filter change does of course depend upon usage hours, but that seems an extremely short life for the main filter Barry? Being a HEPA style filter it should get more efficient with use. Its effectiveness should only be compromised once the airflow across the face drops off. As an example, using a similar system, we used to get about two years out of a dust extraction filter in the dispensing area of our production plant, and operation there was generating a far more aggressive challenge than paint particulates. We used to measure air velocity across the face of the extractor and change the filter when it dropped below a specified value, so I know we were not overusing them.

The carbon filter life, of course, depends upon the solvent being used. Once you can smell hints of residual solvent in the outlet it is time to change it.
Actually no Tim. There is a label on top of my units that says 6 months for the carbon filter regardless of usage. They also recommend to replace the particulate filter 6 times a year.

See image.jpgbelow.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cheers guys.
Just pop down the local supermarket, they always have tons of boxes, might have to sift through a few but I'm sure there will be some decent quality cardboard you can cannibalise for your use!!!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
In my old wood working shop I had a dust extractor over the bench . Cleaning required the removal of the base drum plate ,if a piece of paper placed over the base fell off when the extractor was switched off after a certain number of seconds the filter needed cleaning !

I'd be careful with any extractor using none acrylic paints ,hoses can become lined with paint particles, and using a cheap fan with out good insulation can cause a spark . Not a good mix with enamel type paints .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Actually no Tim. There is a label on top of my units that says 6 months for the carbon filter regardless of usage. They also recommend to replace the particulate filter 6 times a year.

See View attachment 477449below.
Yes Barry carbon filters have a use by date , as the carbon filter degrades over time . Spray mask filters have a use by date stamped on the side , my local building supplier was unaware that all their filters were out out date !

Once opened, maximum use time is 6 months (even if not used). The carbon will absorb contaminants from the general environment. When contaminant can be detected by smell or taste.
https://multimedia.3m.com › ...PDF
Why and when to replace your 3M™ Filters!

Interesting read.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Lots of interesting and helpful advice.
The model I'm interested in (BV300S-D) is the vented to the outside version and has a particulate filter. The BV300S is the recirculating version which has a particulate and a carbon filter. The BV300S is £100 more expensive and venting through a window works fine for me. Even the very expensive models, over £1200, which vent to the outside, do not have carbon filters.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree with everything written regarding carbon filters. I operated ours in a clean room environment so atmospheric contamination would have been far better controlled, leading to better operational life cycles. I never took that into account.

I would also say that it’s your lungs, you protect them as you see fit. I’ve just typed this up as it may be of interest to some.

Those particulate filter change times are simply outrageous. To me that means one of two things. Either the filters are not correctly sized so they are quickly overloaded, or (cynical view) the company has decided that overselling consumables is a way to supplement income.

A HEPA filter is not a sieve (common misconception), it is a maze. I attended several (five I think) courses run by Pall filtration in the course of my Pharmaceutical production career, and they used very good graphics illustrating this concept.

To summarise, the depth of filtration material to be crossed is what makes a particulate filter effective. The particles drawn in by the air have to navigate labyrinthine pathways as the air crosses the matrix, and eventually, due to the many changes of direction they are subject to, become impacted on the filter wall and are removed from the airstream. As more particles are impacted, the “maze” becomes more involved, so removing particles more effectively.

There are three ways you can get particulate breakthrough in this type of application. The first is mechanical failure of the filter matrix. The second is by the contaminant challenge at one time being too great for the filtration matrix’s ability to remove particulates, and the third is that the challenge partials are too fine for the filter to remove them all so they are carried through on the airstream. The first is eliminated by use of quality components. The others are eliminated by utilising a HEPA filter that has been appropriately sized for the task in hand.

With use a HEPA filter becomes more effective at its primary task, removing particulates. However, as it becomes more efficient at removing particulates, the airflow velocity drops off until it is lower than an effective threshold so rendering the filtration device ineffective. This is when the filter needs to be replaced.

Here’s some background.……My reasons for attending these filtration courses was to enable me to fully understand the concepts involved in worker protection and the design, installation, testing, and maintenance of bio containment equipment. This equipment included protected powder discharge systems and biological laminar flow safety cabinets.

These systems were velocity airflow tested daily, and smoke tested (particulate challenge) at three monthly intervals. No HEPA in my experience had a life of less than two years, and most of these systems ran 24/7/365. I realise that nobody on this forum has the ability to do this at home, but it is the most reliable measurement of filtration efficacy. If you do want to investigate this further, airspeed velocity meters are cheaply available on Amazon…..

However, my experience and knowledge tells me that In infrequent home use a filter in this sort of application should have a much greater life than two months……the HEPA should easily outlast the carbon filter.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lots of interesting and helpful advice.
The model I'm interested in (BV300S-D) is the vented to the outside version and has a particulate filter. The BV300S is the recirculating version which has a particulate and a carbon filter. The BV300S is £100 more expensive and venting through a window works fine for me. Even the very expensive models, over £1200, which vent to the outside, do not have carbon filters.
Best form of protection Jim. Removal of the threat is higher on the safety regime list than protection from it. PPE and equipment filtration is the lowest safety rung, to be used when nothing else is available.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I use both MRP paints and have the Benchvent Exagon BV555-D which looks very similar. The booth, after 5 years vents really well and is still working as it should. In facts it sucks so well I often turn it on at least 5mins before airbrushing as it will draw in any small particles and pet hairs that happen to be around. I use a filter mask whenever airbrushing both acrylics and MRP/Tamiya lacquers but I can still safely remove it after a few minutes of airbrushing, or even after spraying rattle can primer.

The filters are available in packs of three (£57) now as well as six £108) so are good value. Obviously it all depends on usage but I avargae around three a year. I made a cut out for the hose through my wooden insulated mancave into one of those exterior flap type vent covers (it remains closed to the outside when no air pushes it open so keeps the creepy crawlies out).

My only bugbear is with its size. It does take up a lot of space especially in my cave (3x2m) but other than that, no problems whatsoever.

20200116_194717.jpgExagon_Spray_Booth__13776_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.